Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to alter where the "index 00" point is on a track so that the listener has to seek backwards to find the hidden track (i.e. hayden's "Skyscraper National Park")

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Another popular trick is to encode a track with a large amount of zero-level audio at the beginning.

For example, a 15 minute song with no music for the first 14:50 and "Hello, are you still awake" at the end, with this song placed as the last track on the CD. People hear the song when they let the CD play for extended periods of time (often, just as they are going to sleep). This can also be done by specifying a large gap between the two last tracks.

To create hidden tracks (ie negative track number) you need a program that allows you to control where the index markers go. Combine (for example) 2 audio tracks into a single track with an audio editor. Then, set the 01 index marker to a point after the first song ends. There is no "00 index marker" in the CD redbook standard.

Eg:
My first song, 3 minutes
Blank space (not space between tracks, but encoded as silence) 2 seconds (for convenience, makes it easier to find a truly silent place to point the index marker to).
My second song, 3 minutes.
All above encoded as one track.
Set 01 index marker to 3 minutes 1 second.

The user now has to hit the back button when the "second" song plays to hear the hidden "first" song. The hidden song will never show up in the CD player's table of contents.

[ May 05, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To create hidden tracks (ie negative track number) you need a program that allows you to control where the index markers go. Combine (for example) 2 audio tracks into a single track with an audio editor. Then, set the 01 index marker to a point after the first song ends. There is no "00 index marker" in the CD redbook standard.

Eg:
My first song, 3 minutes
Blank space (not space between tracks, but encoded as silence) 2 seconds (for convenience, makes it easier to find a truly silent place to point the index marker to).
My second song, 3 minutes.
All above encoded as one track.
Set 01 index marker to 3 minutes 1 second.

The user now has to hit the back button when the "second" song plays to hear the hidden "first" song. The hidden song will never show up in the CD player's table of contents.
gordguide - this is what I want to do, do you know of a program that will do this?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Although Toast itself will not allow editing of the start point, Toast with Jam might. If you already have Toast, you can upgrade at a discount.

I would eMail Roxio's pre-sales support and confirm that you can do so, but editing of the PQ subcodes is listed in the features list.

Most programs that offer this feature are fairly expensive, pro-level mastering soluitons, so as far as I know this is probably the least expensive solution (assuming it works).

You could also check out ProTools free (the price is right, OS9 only) in the meantime. I tried to edit the start point in TC Works Spark ME (also free, OSX) but couldn't. You can get PTF here: Digidesign As long as it works, why spend money?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I just recieved an eMail from Roxio confirming you can edit the track 01 start point with Jam and therefore create a hidden track as described earlier.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
If this can be done with Jam and somebody knows how to do it, would they mind writing a small tutorial on how to do this for us audio newbies.
I would love to do this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.