Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rogers Cable finally arrived in my area and are now advertising Hi-Speed Internet in two forms:

1) Download rates to 1.5 MB/sec
and
2) Download rates to 16k/sec

My question now is, despite the different download rates, is the speed of which pages load the same on both packages? (NOT download speeds!)

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
with the caveat that if the site is busy or the network is busy, things will be slow...

don't expect those transmit and receive rates all the time, especially sunday evenings.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. A few more questions.

1) My Beige G3 has a 10t-base ethernet port. Do I need a 10/100t-base Ethernet PCI card to get the most bandwidth out of it?

2) It says download speeds of 128kbps. What exactly is this? Is that 128 bytes/sec, which equals 16k/sec, or is that 128k/sec?

Sorry if I may sound a little dumb, never worked with hi-speed before. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:

1) Download rates to 1.5 MB/sec
and
2) Download rates to 16k/sec
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In theory and ideal situations these are the speed you will get. Been with Rogers for 4 years, it is a strong and stable ISP. Faster and Slower at different times of the day and week.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
kbps - kilo bit per second

try out your 10 Base-T port

u can always buy a PCI 10/100 later.

depends on how saturated your area is with other Rogers customers.

when i 1st got on rogers, it was a dream, now the performance has levelled off a little.

i did recently upgrade to a b/w G3 with built-in 10/100 and it seems to get better downloads but it could just be the processor and bus speed helping out

got with what ya got, u can always get better

doesn't rogers include a 10/100 card with their package? they used to

·
Registered
237 Posts
If memory serves, both DSL and Cable modems are 10baseT devices. I checked on Rogers site, and according to this document, the cable modem is 10baseT as well: http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cable/InternetContent/SystemReq.asp?shopperID=TM382PDX5QSR2H9A0Q0P8JEFM7VFD024

I went with Sympatico because at the time, Rogers was having a heck of a time capacity planning (and their email servers were up and down like a yo-yo).

Over the 2+ years I've had Sympatico service, I've had two problems. One time it was at Bell (UPS died taking out some email servers) and one time I had to cycle the power on my modem (funny weather/storm happening at the time).

Downloading the VPC 6.01 update (13.8MB) took 90 seconds. Very acceptable performance. As for pages loading, Safari has helped that quite a bit.

John

·
Registered
762 Posts
I was on Shaw High Speed in which the speed was between 300 to 500 kbps on my Mac with a 10/100t base.
On my IBM with a 10t base 3Com was 120 to 150 kbps.
Now I'm on Shaw's Lite Speed and both computers get around 100 kbps.
There's a big difference between the High speed and the Light speed when it comes to downloading large files. I wish I had the High speed back sometimes. :(

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am on Sympatico now and one reason is because I cannot get rogers where I am. I used Rogers for two years and always had problems, email down, changeover from home to rogers email address, just after I got my business cards printed, I was never very happy with rogers, but it was fast.

I had a G4 400 and an 8100 100 on the network, my wife had the 8100, her page loading time were about 4 times slower then the G4, she now has a Imac G3 400 and with Sympatico we both get fast page loads and she is much happier now.

John

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
10BaseT is more than adequate for the speeds used to connect to a network (the interface is much faster than your net connection); so that's fine.

Download speeds will affect how fast your page loads, not just downloading files. In fact, downloading pages and downloading programs are the same thing. So, faster is better, up to your own tolerance/value level.

Upload speeds are generally less, because when surfing the net the requests your computer makes for web pages are small packets of data, in comparison to the documents which make up web pages.

To a certain extent, the speed of your computer itself affects download speeds. Having said that, a hispeed connection is noticeably faster on any computer, (no matter how old/slow).

This is because in the grand scheme of things, the internet is slow compared to the internal data bus of a computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts