Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a 15 inch MBP for work. I definitely want a matte (antiglare) screen, but I'm unsure about the new models offering matte only in a hi-res (high resolution, 1680x1050) option. I'm concerned that it might make a lot of things (menu bar, icons, finder text, etc) so small as to be a strain on the eyes and difficult to point to with the mouse. I'm in Halifax, and there is no Apple store here where I can easily compare and see the difference for myself.

I do some graphics work - mostly photo editing and page layout - but I also work with text a lot, editing and writing.

Does anyone have a hi-res 15" MBP, or have you compared them side by side? What do you think? Any way I can get an idea what the hi-res screen might feel like? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Any way I can get an idea what the hi-res screen might feel lik
find a regular 15" and stand a foot or two back from it. ;)

jokes aside, YMMV but i have found it not to be an issue at all. i have used several and find it to be perfect. coming back to my 1440x900 15" is depressing, to be honest.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
I haven't used the hi-res MacBook Pro, but I have used a 1600 x1200 on a 15" notebook screen. Personally I had no problems with menus and the like, still easy enough to click on etc.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I just went to visit the apple store yesterday to take a look because of that very same issue. I couldn't decide between 15" MBP matte or gloss, and I was worried about the high rez settings for matte.

Fear Not! I found I could barely notice the difference. Only when I placed the two together Side to side- comparison revealed that while many of the items like menus and top menu bar were in fact slightly smaller, they were actually MUCH more sharper/crisp to the eye.

As well, there seemed to be more desktop space available on the higher resolution, which is a big thing in my books.

Actually going back to the 1440x900 looks almost fuzzy to me now. How quickly people can get spoiled.

Because I liked the higher resolution so much I decided to buy the MBP 17". The added screen real estate really makes a difference for me. I work with a lot of documents and windows all open at the same time (word, excel, photos, safari, etc..), the extra crispness and desktop screen real estate is really welcoming.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
...Fear Not! I found I could barely notice the difference. Only when I placed the two together Side to side- comparison revealed that while many of the items like menus and top menu bar were in fact slightly smaller, they were actually MUCH more sharper/crisp to the eye.

As well, there seemed to be more desktop space available on the higher resolution, which is a big thing in my books...
Indeed! That is why even on a laptop hi-res is a good thing. :)

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
You can still turn the resolution down in the displays preferences if you don't like it, can't you?

·
Registered
842 Posts
My old work laptop was a 15" 1650x1080 screen and it was perfect. I've got a 17" 1900x1200 now and it's better ;)

Most of the laptops I deal with are 15" and 1380x760(ish) and they hurt my eyes.. the older models are 1024x768 and they're even worse.

In short, get the highest res possible :D

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I think the best approach would be to go to an Apple Store or AASP (if they have both on display - many may not) and compare them side by side. I too am worried about the high-res screen, and even though I'm not in the market for a 15" MBP right now, (I already have a 2.8Ghz Matte screen 15" Unibody) I've been trying to keep a close eye on this to see if the high-res would be okay in the future when I wanna upgrade.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
my old dell laptop.. 14" 4:3 (square) had 1440x1050 resolution. Gotta say it was the best LCD i've ever had so far.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I think the best approach would be to go to an Apple Store or AASP (if they have both on display - many may not) and compare them side by side. I too am worried about the high-res screen, and even though I'm not in the market for a 15" MBP right now, (I already have a 2.8Ghz Matte screen 15" Unibody) I've been trying to keep a close eye on this to see if the high-res would be okay in the future when I wanna upgrade.
He mentioned he lives in Halifax and there is no Apple store available (maybe authorized retailer?) which is why he needs to rely on feedback, hopefully trustful/reliable ehmac member feedback. :)

@bsenka
I thought that too.. I went to check it out and I noticed the High res screens do not have the 1440x900 resolution!! How odd for the same screen size. I guess it must have to do with the amount of pixels on the screen, not just the physical size.

I checked last night and noticed my MBP 17" also doesn't have the 1440x900 option either.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Halifax had a Futureshop (or two, can't remember) and they now have mini apple stores in the computer section. They usually have just the 13 and 15"ers on display for laptops though. But if you talk to one of the sales guys/apple reps, they might have a personal 17" they'd be willing to bring in for comparison.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
He mentioned he lives in Halifax and there is no Apple store available (maybe authorized retailer?) which is why he needs to rely on feedback, hopefully trustful/reliable ehmac member feedback. :)

@bsenka
I thought that too.. I went to check it out and I noticed the High res screens do not have the 1440x900 resolution!! How odd for the same screen size. I guess it must have to do with the amount of pixels on the screen, not just the physical size.

I checked last night and noticed my MBP 17" also doesn't have the 1440x900 option either.

here... the 15" high resolution screen's native resolution is 1680x1050. STD comes in 1440x900
the 17" comes in 1920x1200. So,i don't see why you are looking for a 1440x900??

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a MacBook Pro 15" with the high res anti-glare screen, and I love it. I did compare it side-by-side with the glossy screen, and found the matte to be better for my purposes which include graphic design and photo colour correction. The glossy screen reflected the fluorescent lights and made it very hard to read the screen without constantly adjusting the angle of the monitor. I found the colour saturation and accuracy to be excellent on the anti-glare screen. And while everything is definitely smaller on the high-res screen, I have no problems reading text.

From what I've seen online, Mac users seem to be split on the issue of matte vs glossy monitors...it really is a matter of personal preference. But if you're doing page layout and photo work, I would personally recommend the high res anti-glare.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I'd give a call around and see if any of the Apple resellers have any for you to take a look at:

Futureshop Bayer's Lake
450-7200

Futureshop Dartmouth Crossing
481-1518

PC Medic (Robie)
455-4357

Halifax Mac Store (Barrington)
422-6556

Mac East (Ochterloney)
444-4622

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
From what I've seen online, Mac users seem to be split on the issue of matte vs glossy monitors...it really is a matter of personal preference. But if you're doing page layout and photo work, I would personally recommend the high res anti-glare.
As someone whose been using Matte since the first series of MBP's and have just switched to Glossy - I can tell you from my experience that Matte is the way to go if you're unsure. It's the safe bet. It looks good, it's safe against refelctions etc.. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG with Matte.

I switched to Glossy because I really felt I wanted a change and wanted to know what it was all about. I do like it, and will certainly stay with it for a while.

I have never heard anyone regret getting Matte. But have heard of people not enjoying their glossy.

So if you're unsure go Matte and feel confident you made a good choice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I ordered a high res Macbook Pro 15" anti glare i7 sight unseen as I knew I wanted anti glare. I've been waiting almost 4 weeks for my Macbook Pro to arrive as it's in Shanghai I found out. Anywho when I went to the store almost a week ago they had a sample one for me to try out and I could barely notice a difference. I work on a desktop PC that has the exact same resolution as the Mac I'll be getting. Sometimes at work I use the control + to make text bigger. Anyway at the store the guy told me about Squint (a Firefox addon) and you can stretch your fingers on the track pad to make the text bigger without stretching the browser box. It was pretty cool.

I was only on it for a few minutes but from what I could see it seemed great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, all - very helpful input. It sounds like most people are fine with the hi-res screen. I'm going to see if any of the main Mac places in Halifax have at least a 17 inch MBP (which is similar in resolution) on display, so I can check it out.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Thanks, all - very helpful input. It sounds like most people are fine with the hi-res screen. I'm going to see if any of the main Mac places in Halifax have at least a 17 inch MBP (which is similar in resolution) on display, so I can check it out.
Excellent idea. Be sure to report back here on your findings/purchasings ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.