Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using an old early-2011 MBP with OS 10.12.6 on it. If I don't get a newer machine my only option of further updates is to go to OS 10.13, the last version of macOS that the early-2011 MBP can run. The drive in there is a SSD. I understand that macOS 13 will convert HFS+ to APFS if the drive is a SSD.

If the OS update is the route that I take, how do I go about to do that? Is it safer to do a clean install of OS 10.13 then the applications and finally move all the files over?

Is there any issue of a Mac with a SSD running OS 10.13 and above to read files in external HDDs that are formatted to HFS+?

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
I am using an old early-2011 MBP with OS 10.12.6 on it. If I don't get a newer machine my only option of further updates is to go to OS 10.13, the last version of macOS that the early-2011 MBP can run.
I am also running an old 2011 iMac but I've decided to stay back and use Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5, as it suits my usage and don't have any plans for upgrading or updating until I am forced to, and I don't have any use for most of the improvements the later Mac OS versions have provided, nor can I use most of them.

I daresay if you don't get any response here from any Mac OS gurus that might have been able to answer your question before they left, I would suggest you sign up and ask the same question at the mac-forums site, that have a lot of MAC users that will certainly have an answer for you:

or

You will probably bump into some ehMac.ca members there.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am using an old early-2011 MBP with OS 10.12.6 on it. If I don't get a newer machine my only option of further updates is to go to OS 10.13...
What updates are you referring to? Security updates from Apple? I don't think that you really need them. Not a single user of an old Mac is reporting security problems.

If I were in your position, with an 11 year old Mac, I'd stand pat unless I really badly needed to run some brand new piece of software that can't be run under Sierra. There is very little in newer versions of the Mac OS that you are missing out on. However, when upgrading to a new major version of the Mac OS, the strain has not infrequently been known to cause an old Mac to fail.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I understand that macOS 13 will convert HFS+ to APFS if the drive is a SSD.

Is there any issue of a Mac with a SSD running OS 10.13 and above to read files in external HDDs that are formatted to HFS+?
I don’t have the instructions handy but you can do a search and there’s a way to install via terminal and not have it convert to APFS.

APFS can read an external HFS+, but if you go the opposite way an HFS+ boot drive cannot read an APFS external drive. Although if doing file sharing HFS+ can read an APFS drive that is being shared over a network.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts