Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Of the two people I know who tried to buy PowerBooks on Ebay, both got screwed-over by fraud. One guy lost the full amount ($2500 +/-) and another lost $1000.00. He even flew to NYC to hunt down the person. I love Ebay and have bought several items through Ebay without incident, but for some reason Apple products are targeted by crooks (on Ebay). I'd be careful...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Garranty Against DOA.
Well we know they can't spell. But the Blue Chip is an upgrade chip and its obvious if this auction is legit, the owner has upgraded it quite a bit. (1 GB RAM (is that possible?), a 60GB HD.

What makes me suspicious is the mispelling of Garranty. Then further reading in how you can pay, it says you can't do credit card over PayPal (meaning you can't protect yourself in case it is a scam by telling your credit card company not to pay). Along with "Local pickup and C.O.D. is not available." Strange.

Although he has a ding on his record, but to quote it:
Complaint : Drive arrived DOA. RMA finally issued. Seller claims I returned different drive.
Response by coreuser - Photo record show drv case different_Fake manuf label TAPED on_Said it CAME OFF!
All in all I think this guy is legit, as hes not perfect, and has had a few bad occurances,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm ....thanks guys. i think i'll just stay away from that then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Of the two people I know who tried to buy PowerBooks on Ebay, both got screwed-over by fraud. One guy lost the full amount ($2500 +/-) and another lost $1000.00. He even flew to NYC to hunt down the person. I love Ebay and have bought several items through Ebay without incident, but for some reason Apple products are targeted by crooks (on Ebay). I'd be careful... "

Yeah, stick to auctions that offer escrow services from ebay or a well-known, well-respected escrow service for the winner.

-sb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts