Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been browsing the KB Docs and found nothing. Not sure if my search was flawed, but I only found a list for Classic. Does anyone have the link to supported USB printers in X? Just want to see what I can pick from. Thanks.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
Ohenri, there is a web designer at the university where I teach who has a new iMac and is getting a Canon i950 printer. I have been looking at the i850. I guess the "trick" is to get a printer, scanner, etc with an OS X-compatible driver.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
ohenri, i believe macaddict has a review of printers for OSX. Macworld has a review of OSX scanners this month as well.
I recieved a samsung ML-1210 laser printer from cpused for $299+tax (b-day present from spouse)

I recieved a canon lide 30 scanner from Staples
for $149+tax (b-day gift from her parents) :D
I haven't done much with the scanner yet, but it is small and gets power from usb port.
Printer driver is beta from samsung, download, but no problems yet.
Hope this helps,
Robert

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
I would love to know why major producers of printers, scanners, etc., have been so slow with upgrading their drivers to include all of the features possible with OS X. Robert, I have the MacWorld you suggest in your posting, and they have a small section on this slowness to adopt upgraded drivers.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Actually, I've noticed quite a number of printers that show up in the Print Centre when you are choosing a built in driver.

What brand/models are you looking at. I can check it with the list.

As well, a number of printers also have downloadable drivers off their website.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Dr.G I think most were waiting to see if OSX would flop. With the release of Jaguar, the big boys are seeing great interest from the public and a stable platform to write to. Just a guess, but going from 9 to 10 was a huge leap of faith by Apple IMHO. I think if you look at this year and the next, we are in for one hell of a ride as more and more will be available to the Mac platform. (both new and rewritten)
No Mac degees or certificates to go by, just a gut feeling and a pinch of optimism.
Robert
PS: that article on scanners was good, non?
I will post my feedback on it when I get a chance to play.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
Robert, you offer an interesting perspective on the matter of how companies perceive the reception of OS X. I am coming back to the Mac family (the last upgrade I considered was moving up to OS 7!!!). Thus, I have no software or hardware to concern myself with just now. I am going to be ordering a new iMac in a week or so, and I am always interested in hearing what others have to say about actual items they are utilizing.

Yes, the article was interesting. I buy the magazine for the articles and the ads. I find this helps me see what is possible for a Mac in the way of "extras".

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
There's a list on the Apple site, but as many have pointed out, there are many printers that have been orphaned by their manufacturers (no doubt as a means of enticing you to buy a new printer).

I would recommend that you check out the GIMP open-source drivers for OSX. It's an initiative that started up to address this very problem, and now there are all kinds of older printers that are workable in OSX. Witness my Epson 580. No drivers according to Epson. I installed GIMP and voila, I'm printing to my heart's content.

Here's the URL http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

If you decide to install, just take note of a few things:
- there are two files you have to install, the driver and the ESP Ghostscript;
- be sure that you have the printer powered-up and plugged in to the Mac, otherwise bad things tend to happen (as per the usual USB printer caveat);
- you can keep your exisiting installed drivers if you have a second printer that is OS compatible (in my case, it's a laser printer);
- read all the instructions that accompany the driver.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
Just been browsing the KB Docs and found nothing. Not sure if my search was flawed, but I only found a list for Classic. Does anyone have the link to supported USB printers in X? Just want to see what I can pick from. Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
WOW! I was thrilled to see that my newish (sept 2002) Canon S9000 was on the list to work with the airport extreme base station! I didn't realize how the base station worked?! I didn't know there were usb ports in it. I figured I would have to buy a bluetooth printer or wait until "wireless" printers came out (then I was wondering how much battery they would take?!! LOL)

SO basically how it works is I keep the power plugged in , but instead of plugging the usb cable into the back of my 17" powerbook, I plug it into the base station? COOL!!

I've been having a hard time finding if my peripherals will work with the latest apple operating system? (OS 10.2.4 is that the one that's out now?...the websites I've found for the products are only going up to 10.1.something) It would be REALLY helpful if someone could help me find out if my things will work?...here's a list:

fujifilm finepix 2800Zoom digital camera(usb)
canon canoscan N1220U scanner (usb powered)
canon S9000 large format printer (usb)
lexmark Z42 printer (usb)
iomega 250 zip, usb powered

can the base station handle usb powered peripherals?

Thank you SO much to anyone that can get me any info

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice. I was thinking of getting that Samsung. Nice to hear.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robert:
ohenri, i believe macaddict has a review of printers for OSX. Macworld has a review of OSX scanners this month as well.
I recieved a samsung ML-1210 laser printer from cpused for $299+tax (b-day present from spouse)

I haven't done much with the scanner yet, but it is small and gets power from usb port.
Hope this helps,
Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks muchachos. That was good. I found the list - many thanks to Heart for the hot link. Not sure whay it was so hard to dig up though....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pamela:
It would be REALLY helpful if someone could help me find out if my things will work?...here's a list:

fujifilm finepix 2800Zoom digital camera(usb)
canon canoscan N1220U scanner (usb powered)
canon S9000 large format printer (usb)
lexmark Z42 printer (usb)
iomega 250 zip, usb powered

can the base station handle usb powered peripherals?

Thank you SO much to anyone that can get me any info
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno about the Base station (never seen or used one personally, so unknown)

ZIP drive will run without drivers. Just plug it in and go. There is software for it (downloadable from Iomega's site) that adds extra functionality, but for basic use, nothing extra is needed.

Canon S9000 will require a download of drivers available here.

The CanoScan N1220U will also work in OS X, but the site didn't have the drivers available (Although they were listed as available Dec. 2002). The page for that is right here. Their Toolbox Software is still "in progress" for OS X but if you have Photoshop 7 or Photoshop Elements 2 it should work in Classic mode.

The Lexmark printer link wouldn't take here in the forums (it had a square bracket in it) but you can do a search from this page by typing in Z42 and just going through the subsequent pages. having run through it myself once i know there are drivers for OS X at the end of the link...

The Fujifilm 2800 camera didn't have any Mac OS X specific software, but it may be automatically recognised by iPhoto (You would have to test this though, as I cannot confirm. there were 8.6-9.1 drivers listed on this page but since it mentioned 9.1 and not 9.2.2, I suspect the info is just out of date, kind of like the scanner's page seems to be a bit out of date...

That should sum up your list

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I can recommend without hesitation the Samsung 1210 laser printer. It's a great machine...I've used mine heavily for over a year...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
Nice. I was thinking of getting that Samsung. Nice to hear.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robert:
[qb]ohenri, i believe macaddict has a review of printers for OSX. Macworld has a review of OSX scanners this month as well.

Hope this helps,
Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts