Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently working on a music project and I need a simple free software to help me cut and crop certain partial screenshots I am taking of musical scores in my music editing software.

In windows, I would use MS paint, since all I need really is the ability to cut out certain unwanted borders, areas etc. I managed to do it in iPhoto but it is really awful because I often end up needing to crop multiple times to cut out different parts of the small screenshots. Can anyone recommend a freeware program I can download that would do the trick?

Thanks in advance.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Just did a quick google, if The Gimp is too much for you, you can also check out SeaShore.
A second vote for SeaShore. I now use it instead of GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is more powerful, no doubt, but SeaShore covers all my needs and as it is related to GIMP it will grow in capabilities. SeaShore is free, GraphicConverter is shareware and nags for its ~$30 (you can use it for free, but it tells you how many days you've done so every time you open it) - however shareware that is used really should be paid for... ;)

GIMP requires an X11 setup. SeaShore is OSX universal.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I guess you know that you can tell iPhoto to use an external app such as SeaShore to edit from within iPhoto...??? ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, seashore was a great recommendation, thanks! It's like a cross between MS Paint and some of more powerful features included in Photoshop. I got a little frustrated using it at first, but you get the hang of it.

I noticed that when pasting an object, you have to press command F to permanently "affix" it to a layer or else it just disappears once it gets deselected. Neat little app.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts