Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has my old G4/400 with OS 10.1.5 installed. She needs a newer OS so that I can install a newer browser that will let her check her Sympatico email online. I have tried Firefox. Netscape and IE, and none will allow her into her Sympatico mail. Her OS is too old for Safari to be installed.

I'm trying to install a newer OS - 10.3.x or 10.4.x - so I can install a newer browser but no matter what disc I try to use, it will ask for the admin password and restart, but won't start up from the CD or DVD I'm using. It always starts up from its startup disc and as many times as I try, I get the same result. I Googled and came up with suggestions but none worked.

The internal drive is no longer working and I've tried two external drives. Should it matter? I'm assuming not. Both the externals were able to mount the discs, but can't seem to start up from them.

This computer has two internal HDs - one is empty - but I can't find a way to install a system on them.

I've been tearing my hair out. Today was my fourth or fifth attempt and it's just such a waste of time because nothing works. The computer works fine though - it just won't allow me to install the new OS. If it weren't for that, it would be fine.

Any help out there? TIA. I just don't know what to do and we don't have the budget to take it somewhere. Anyway, I doubt it would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
OS help

you could try something called X PostFacto, which is supposed to be able to help
the newer OS get onto older machines. also maybe running disk utility might help.
Disk Warrior is possible but it costs $125 and I dunno if that's worth it to you (maybe
borrow a copy-I sold mine a while ago, alas)
oh, and make sure you tell the computer which drive it's starting up from, internal or otherwise and reset the admin passworld :confused:
good luck

JB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't run disk utility on the startup drive; it won't let me, and I can't make the CD start up from an external drive. I'm completely stuck. I have Disk Warrior but again, I can't start up from another disk and I don't know why. No matter how many times I reset the startup disk, it starts up from the original startup disk.

Why would I reset the admin password?

you could try something called X PostFacto, which is supposed to be able to help
the newer OS get onto older machines. also maybe running disk utility might help.
Disk Warrior is possible but it costs $125 and I dunno if that's worth it to you (maybe
borrow a copy-I sold mine a while ago, alas)
oh, and make sure you tell the computer which drive it's starting up from, internal or otherwise and reset the admin passworld :confused:
good luck

JB

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The internal drive is no longer working and I've tried two external drives. Should it matter? I'm assuming not. Both the externals were able to mount the discs, but can't seem to start up from them.
Actually, it does. That Mac cannot boot from external USB optical drives -- FireWire only. Thus, if the drives you used were connected via USB, there's your problem (and hence why they mount on the desktop but are non-bootable).

·
Registered
2 Posts
... The internal drive is no longer working ... This computer has two internal HDs - one is empty - but I can't find a way to install a system on them. ...

1- If you have two HDD remove the broken one and leave the "empty" HDD connected to the system.
2-Make sure HDD's jumper is set to cable or master.
3-Insert the 10.4 DVD and hold the "c" and wait until it boots from DVD then let go of the "c".
4-Go to "Disk utilities" and erase and partition the "empty" HDD ... exit the "Disk utilities"
5-Continuo with the installation of the 10.4

Let us know what happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts