Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
587 Posts
After the "Sincerely," in the graphic - was there any further Paypal contact info? Apparently some scammers have set up phone #'s and automated systems to capture information.

This could work quite nicely here - the potential victim gets the email, carefully logs into the real site - finds nothing wrong... this is worrisome - so they now call the number which was in the email, and they get a legit sounding voicemail system asking for a credit card #...

I found references to it here:

The no link, no click, phishing scam

Under the heading "The no link, no click, phishing scam".

Of course, if there was no other contact info after the email's closing, I have no idea what they might be attempting. Desensitization? Overwhelming Paypal with questions from clients? Other mischief?

· Premium Member
587 Posts
Interesting:

I received 2 separate emails to a hotmail account that I use mainly to collect spam and sign up for online newsletters. They did not have my real name, they also did not bother building a name out of the info that hotmail has for that account. The emails didn't appear to have any known nastiness in them. They were addressed to "Dear Paypal member" and the heading for the html message read "Limited Account Access Details" and otherwise were very similar to the one that Macaholic got. This is probably because they are simply copying real paypal messages to build their own - rather than messing up with the traditional phishing grammatical gaffs that used to give some of the clumsier attempts away.

It is possible that there this is an massive attempt to coerce people into logging into their paypal accounts. The vanishingly small number who are possibly infected with a keylogger who do so might be worth as much to a criminal as the vanishingly small number who actually buy the products that the spammers are pushing. Spam is cheap to send, sadly for us all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.