ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me before I crush this iPad!

Struggling with my wife’s iPad (4th generation Model A1458), trying to re-load an audiobook which disappeared off the iPad during the last update/syncing.

I have the files ( The Audio Bible - 17 chapters, .m4b file format) on my iMac.
They play fine in iTunes on my machine.

After much frustration & gnashing of teeth I found the way to “manually” copy them onto the iPad.
Then open iPad, Open iBooks, select Audiobooks - nothing. Not recognized at all.

Open iTunes on my iMac (latest version 12.3.1 under Yosemite 10.10.5), connect to iPad, click on Audiobooks under on my device and they all show. Click on one, get info, select file, and they show as being on the iPad. (In fact there is more than one copy of several as I retried to copy over several times - each time the progress bar showed coping.

I downloaded an app designed to put files on an iPad (iMazing), it told me that duplicates were already on the iPad - no files transferred!

I have resisted Syncing the iPad with my iMac again - When I select “Sync Audiobooks”, I get a warning “ do you want to remove your apps/movies/games etc etc”, choice of cancel or remove & install”. I do not want to remove anything - I want to add only.

The audiobooks are in m4b format - protected MPEG-4 audio.

I tried to play one of the audiobooks from iMazing but got the dialog which stated that protected files could only be played in iTunes of Quicktime player.

I was under the impression that iTunes & Quicktime were “Baked in” to IOS, Am I missing something?

Anyway, I would appreciate any information / advice from the members here

Do i really have to sync the iPad with my computer to get the file recognized?

Anyway to sync without removing the existing files?

Has anyone any experience with this problem?

Any recommendations for an app which would help solve this riddle?

I am not a fan of iPads!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Try opening the Music app and seeing if it's in there.
It's an "Audio Book" right? I am wondering if iOS distinguishes iBooks for reading books; music app for listening to them.

BReligion

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
the usual way to do this is to "Add to Library" in iTunes under the File menu, and then to Sync. It is not entirely clear in what you have written whether or not you have done this.

I don't understand your reluctance to properly sync the iPad with the computer. It seems clear tha the iPad is out of sync with the computer. You would resolve a lot if you got that sorted.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry if I’m not all that clear as to the problem - I find the iPad most infuriating

BReligion
Yes, looked in the Music app, no audiobooks there.
When the iPad is connected to my iMac, I can open iTunes & see the files on my wife’s iPad. They are listed under the various apps under the heading “On My Device”. The audiobooks are shown under the “audiobooks “ heading, not under any of the other categories, ie., music, books, movies etc.
If I select any one of the “un-responsive” audiobooks, I can right click & get info, which shows all the metadata including File: which says the files are on the iPad.

I know the files are playable - I can play the copies which are on my iMac in iTunes.

rgray
“I don't understand your reluctance to properly sync the iPad with the computer”

If I attempt to Sync Audiobooks, I get this dialog;

“Are you sure you want to remove existing music, movies, TV shows, books, and tones from this iPad and sync with this iTunes library?”

I definitely do not want to remove any files from the iPad.
I want to add files to the iPad. And yes there is plenty of space available!
The last time I synced with my iMac, numerous files/apps/games disappeared, and that is why i’m trying to restore these particular files now - they are of special interest to my wife!!

I have read several comments ( Apple support sites etc) confirming that Yes, the current content will be removed - even when Manual management is selected.

If you can tell me how get the files - that are currently on the iPad - to be recognized & playable, I’ll be most grateful.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
If these are "protected audio files" as you say, I believe you may be running into the reason they were protected in the first place.

Also, the reason you are getting the warning above is that you are trying to sync the iPad with **a different machine or account** than the one the iPad is "tied" to. Connect to the one it was originally synced with instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts