ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help redirecting the iTunes library file to reference the new drive.

Running 2010 27" iMac i7, OSX 10.6.8, 12 Gb ram - 2Tb internal HD, 8Tb external

First off, I copied my existing iTunes to the new hard drive using Carbon Copy (not the suggested process - I know!)

Now, I tried the option/start iTunes method, point the new location, iTunes starts just fine and I can view all my videos etc.
The problem is that when I get info on any of the (TV Shows) files - I can see that it is still linked to the old location.
The existing library still references the original location - as it should I guess.
I have not deleted any of the old/original files - I intend to keep them as my back-up.

I have changed Preferences > Advanced > "Itunes Media Folder Location" to reflect the new location.
I have turned "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized" On - Off - On again, no effect!

I cannot find a way to change/reset the "iTunes Library.itl" file to reference the new hard drive. If I delete the existing .itl file, How do I get iTunes to scan my Itunes Media and rebuild the library?

Can anyone help me here please - do I have to delete the new iTunes collection and start over with a different method?
Moving Tbs of files is a long slow process

I've posted the same question on the Apple discussion site, but so far no response.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Were your media inside ~/music/iTunes/media files/ ?

If so, move that completely. That will move your library to a new location including your media files. So, all you have to do is open iTunes holding option to open a library in a new location...

Edit: I don't see a reason why to keep the media files separate from the library.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rather than trying to describe the folder - image attached

I believe all the required files are within the iTunes folder on the external hard drive.
I have tried the Option/open method, select new library, Itunes does it's thing and I end up with just those files I have purchased in the past in a new - very small/limited library.

I cannot get iTunes to create a new library and scan/reference all the files in the iTunes Media folder.

I've done the consolidate step "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized" with no effect.

I'm running out of ideas as what to try next.

Attachments

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
If you don't have any special (tons of) playlists, Might as well just grab your media and start a new library?

On the serious side, can you still open your library on the original location?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've kept the original library/files intact, I'm planning to use them as the basis for my back-up.

I believe you're right - I've started a new library, slowly adding (copies) of files from the original collection. I'm a bit concerned as to why the new Library does not have all the various categories that appear in the original, ie Home Video, audiobooks etc. I hope they will appear as the database builds.

This will take some time to complete - the video files are just under a Tb, plus all the others

Thanks for your interest in my problem - have a good night

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I've never worried about my iTunes library. So I've always made a copy of the whole folder and deleted the original. I've never experienced issues with iTunes not referencing the correct path.

Your categories do not exist if you don't have those files imported.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reviving an old iTunes thread

Again/still having problems with iTunes

Background: 2010 27” iMac i7, 12Gb ram, OSX 10.6.8, iTunes 10.3

Initially all my iTunes files were as installed ie Boot Drive/user/library/music/iTunes
However this quickly threatened to fill the partition with the system on the boot drive

Then I moved just the media files to another partition on the same drive. That worked fine, no problems but again the collection has grown to the point of filling that partition,
(just under 1Tb)

So I add a 4Tb G-Tech drive (firewire 800) and use CCC to copy the media over to the new drive. No partition this time, lots of room.
However, iTunes would always reference the files on the partition (kept as back-up),
not the files on the new disk. I tried keeping the library and related files in the original location, and I tried moving the library files to the new hard drive, keeping the layout/arrangement as in the original/default location.
Always with the same result, iTunes insisted on linking to the files on the partition, all new files added to the media folder on the new drive were ignored! Yes, I changed the Advanced preferences to show the new media folder location.

Now, after reading suggestions here and the Apple Discussions group, I started from scratch. Created a new collection/library - “iTunes Two” - all the works on the new hard drive.
Spent a lot of time re-importing the video/TV Shows/Apps/audio books using the “Add to Library...” facility, testing the new library along the way, all was good! All 993 Gb in library.

However

I boot-up my system each morning [Why? - long story, rural living, flaky hydro, lightning]
Anyway, on start-up, ITunes reports either “cannot find valid library” or “library is not valid”, marks it as Damaged, and creates a new EMPTY library. Not very useful. In an effort to solve the problem I deleted a few suspect plist files - that helped for a while, but not now.

I’m now considering copying/moving the correct liTunes Library.itl and related files, from the new hard drive and pasting it into the original/default location, leaving just the iTunes Media folder on the new external drive. Much the same as my second arrangement that worked fine.

My alternative plan is to do a clean install of Yosemite on the new drive, go with a new version/copy of iTunes, and because of the size, keep iTunes in the default location. My User folder will just grow larger over time.

Now!, before I leap into the unknown, I’d like any advise/suggestions/comments you all may have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts