Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truly, I should have some clue. But I don't ... really.
I've populated the 'Evom' thread here because I'm wondering why my MBook is chugging along so slowly. It may be a simple answer. May not. But I know someone will check in and straighten me out. Boy, do I need it.
I've done some homework in the last few minutes. Hope that I have enough information for someone to analyze and advise.
Facts:
MBook, 2007, 2.16 GHz, Intel Core Duo ... IOS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.
I'm looking at the Activity Monitor because right now, it's through the roof - two big light-blue bars. I'm trying to convert videos (TV shows) - one on Evom, one on iVI.
Here's what I gathered from the Activity Monitor:
CPU:
95% (user) / Evom ... 87% / iVI ... 96%.
The Math would suggest that this is a problem, no? Shouldn't Evom and iVI add UP to 100%?
Real Memory:
Finder 47MB, iVI 76MB (ffmpeg 99 MB), Evom 22 MB (ffmpeg 51 MB), iTunes 42 MB, something called 'kernel task' at 97 MB.
Virtual Memory:
iTunes 37 MB, Safari 131 MB, Firefox 310 MB, Evom 47 MB (ffmpeg 86 MB), iVI 211 MB (ffmpeg 136 MB), Finder 233 MB, Mail 207 MB, Dashboard 324 MB, Quick Look Helper 542 MB, Microsoft AU Daemon 138 MB.
System Memory:
Free - 84 MB of 1 GB ... Active 475 MB, Inactive 238 MB.

Okay. A lot of mumbo-jumbo to ME ... but surely, the proper language for many of you who are experts in these matters.
Is there something I need to be doing? Need to be aware of?
Thanks for any and all assistance.
/Michael.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Are you telling me you have ONE GIG of RAM?

Hello, I found your problem. Heaven knows how much disk space you have ...

As for the activity not adding up to 100 percent ... you have TWO processors. A Core 2 *duo*, you see -- two processors.

Running two video converters at once ... I'm amazed you can get the machine to function at all.

You need to max out the RAM on that machine, be sure you have TONS of free disk space, and really -- if you're going to be doing this much video converting -- upgrade to a far more powerful and RAM-capable machine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I saw 'chas_m' responding, I thought two things:
1. He is going to think I'm an idiot. Oh no!
2. Regardless, I'm going to get straightened out.

So, should I be looking into 'buying' more RAM? Would this 2007 MBook handle it? Or have I reached that point when I'll need to move on to a new MBP? Oh, and I have about 32 GB of disk space, fluctuates between 28 GB and 35 GB most of the time out of 120 GB.
Be gentle.
(Found your music blog ... downloading as we speak.)
/M.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
MBook, 2007, 2.16 GHz, Intel Core Duo ... IOS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.
What's really impressive here is how you got a MacBook to run iOS (and not OS X)! ;)

Snow Leopard's minimum requirement is 1GB RAM, recommened 2GB+. This machine will officially support 2GB of RAM and actually take 3GB. Cut your losses, it's done 5 years, start looking for a new machine... At this point I wouldn't be putting any more money in to this one.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
According to everymac.com et al, that MB as I read their specs can actually use 4GB of RAM.

But I'm surprised it was even doing what was asked of it if it truly only has 1GB of RAM installed!!!

Poor hard drive with so much access, and should definitely shorten it's life without adequate and proper amount of memory installed for such a task.

Add more RAM, and probably a few more years left, and not too expensive, head off to and order the memory ASAP, it will seem like a newer faster Mac:

Canada RAM sells memory in Canada - Apple MacBook Intel CoreDuo and Core2Duo SantaRosa and Penryn

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I switched to Apple last year I thought based on my Windows experience that 4 mb RAM memory would be enough for our new iMac, but soon realized that with today's software and my appetite for multitasking, I needed more. And I don't game or do video stuff. CanadaRAM in Victoria was awesome to deal with, they soon shipped me an 8 mb module suited to our model that I popped into the empty second slot and we've no problems since with 12 mb. That taught a valuable lesson. In fact I wish now I had maxed the RAM and if the system gets tight in years to come that's what I'll do. It was far cheaper upgrading the RAM myself through them than upgrading through Apple when we ordered the iMac.

If I was in your shoes, I'd either talk to CanadaRAM and upgrade the RAM, or if the budget could handle it I'd get a new machine. Today's Apple computers have some nifty features over their 5 year old laptops, like more RAM capacity and bigger hard drives for starters, but I'd think twice if I didn't really need them. Also I don't know how easy it is to do a RAM upgrade oneself on that MacBook. RAM is soldered into some of the new Apple laptops and cannot be upgraded by users, so go big if you buy a new one.

Hope that helps.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
I'm looking at the Activity Monitor because right now, it's through the roof - two big light-blue bars. I'm trying to convert videos (TV shows) - one on Evom, one on iVI.
Here's what I gathered from the Activity Monitor:
CPU:
95% (user) / Evom ... 87% / iVI ... 96%.
As an aside, if either of those two apps doing the conversion are multithreaded (i believe evom is), you aren't gaining anything by running two concurrent conversion apps. With other bottlenecks involved (disk i/o etc.) I'd wager it would be quite a bit slower than converting one at a time.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
A 2007 with a 2.16 processor is the higher end Mid 2007 and it officially only supports 2GB of RAM, can take 3GB in an unmatched pair or 4GB as a matched pair but only address 3GB.

EveryMac.com agrees:
MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 13" (White) Specs (Mid-2007, MB062LL/A, MacBook2,1, A1181, 2139) @ EveryMac.com
But the 4GB arrangement provides some speed improvements:

"Macintosh intel MacBook Core2Duo 1.83, 2.0 and 2.16 GHz - MacBook2,1 black and white
Two sockets, can take 1 x 1 Gb + 1 x 2 Gb for 3 Gb total. With 2 x 2 Gb, 3.0 Gb is usable by the OS but you get Dual Channel memory access for a 6% - 8% speed improvement."

Canada RAM sells memory in Canada - Apple MacBook Intel CoreDuo and Core2Duo SantaRosa and Penryn

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an aside, if either of those two apps doing the conversion are multithreaded (i believe evom is), you aren't gaining anything by running two concurrent conversion apps. With other bottlenecks involved (disk i/o etc.) I'd wager it would be quite a bit slower than converting one at a time.
Yes, that's pretty stupid on this machine. Makes sense.
/M.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I was in your shoes, I'd either talk to CanadaRAM and upgrade the RAM, or if the budget could handle it I'd get a new machine. Today's Apple computers have some nifty features over their 5 year old laptops, like more RAM capacity and bigger hard drives for starters, but I'd think twice if I didn't really need them. Also I don't know how easy it is to do a RAM upgrade oneself on that MacBook. RAM is soldered into some of the new Apple laptops and cannot be upgraded by users, so go big if you buy a new one.
Hope that helps.
This does help. Thanks. Lots to think about. I'm wondering if the $100 or so (I'd have to price the RAM upgrade) is worth another couple of years.
/M.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snow Leopard's minimum requirement is 1GB RAM, recommened 2GB+. This machine will officially support 2GB of RAM and actually take 3GB. Cut your losses, it's done 5 years, start looking for a new machine... At this point I wouldn't be putting any more money in to this one.
Never knew Snow Leopard required (recommended?) 2 GB. Oops.
Yes, I AM concerned about putting more money here instead of buying new. Still mulling it over.
/M.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
Never knew Snow Leopard required (recommended?) 2 GB. Oops.
Yes, I AM concerned about putting more money here instead of buying new. Still mulling it over.
/M.
It's almost akin to the car modders and rodders and where their money goes to get what they want.

A local friend's car freak friend spent God only knows how much money on converting a Ford Model-T by dropping in a Cadillac V-8 and all the necessary goodies to get what he wanted.

It's nicknamed as the "$100.00" car as he keeps an old $100.00 bill on the dashboard and any passenger is invited to attempt to pick it up from the dashboard when he does an accelerating run. It has never been accomplished in over 20 years now.

It's one VERY fast Model-T Ford!! ;)

Maybe some similar potential for some older Macs??? Hmmm... and then the costs... A hard call sometimes, but always up to the user and their wish and pocketbook.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I am leaning more toward going 'new'. Apparently, the budget can manage this at summer's end. Probably makes sense to get up to speed with a new MBP. Thanks for your comments. I've been working this little MBook to the bone the past couple of years, clearly.
/M.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might want to also stop downloading to your main drive,
Use an external drive to download movies to.
Hey Lawrence, I have a 500 GB external iomega drive. I use it when I do the Time Machine thingy.
Last update, I noticed I have about 20 back-ups on the 500 GB'er dating back to 2009. There is about 49 GB left on this external drive. Why do I need all the previous back-ups? Why when I plug in the external drive it automatically begins the Time Machine? Can't I just drag stuff over there when I wish? Everything's there anyway, yes?
Thanks.
/M.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts