Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm sure this question's been asked a million times, but I have searched and downloaded diligently, and nothing's happened. Here is the dilemma:

I have an Intel-core Powerbook, which has been fixed to region 1 and cannot be switched back. One of my favorite movies, which only comes in region 2, does not play, obviously. Here are the programs that I've downloaded, and here's what's happened:

Mac the Ripper: excited me at the prospect of ripping the file region-free. It recognizes the DVD in my drive, but at the very very end of the rip, it gives the "Bad Sectors!" warning, which I'm not sure whether to take seriously or not. This puts the movie into Audio and Video gibberish folders--none of which show up in any other program. I'm not really sure what to do with these files, or what the next step would be.

Handbrake: Doesn't even recognize the DVD in the drive after scanning the titles, which is a shame as it seemed the most straightforward.

Toast Titanium 8: I can't even access this, or any Toast, as I couldn't find a free download, and I have no code to enter from my purchased copy. This is out of the question, as I can't spend outrageous money on one stinking DVD.

VLC: Occasionally, it opens the main title, which then promptly closes out to show the "music mode" player when I click on "Play." Lately, however, it hasn't even recognized the DVD in the drive. I'm not sure if I'm to play those MTR'ed files on VLC, but I believe I tried that and it didn't work.

Sorry if this was long-ish, but I wanted to be thorough. I would love any direct advice, as I'm losing my patience with Apple and their disbelief in providing multi entertainment (don't even get me started on computer games...I already went through all the Boot Camp nonsense). Also, bear in mind that I can't buy a USB drive (not worth my one region 2), and that I'm far from a tech guru.

Thank you,
Nathalie

·
Premium Member
17,998 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Living in Mexico, and my drive is locked to Region 1. I've been all over the internet, and I'm sorry to say, you're sh** out of luck. Plug in an external - that's the only option.

The Matsu****a drives in the MacBooks are NOT "flashable" and cannot be de-region-ified.

This is a stupid, stupid, stupid situation, particularly for laptop owners - the people most likely to use their machines in other regions.

Somebody wanna start a petition or something? I'm in.

:(
M

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
I wonder which version number of mac the ripper you are using. The program implemented changes to keep up with new anti ripping techniques used by the authors.
I think that version is 3.14 beta, but you had to donate to get a copy.

This might explain your problem, but I'm not sure.
Bad Sector errors mean one of several things. It's either 1) the disc is dirty, fixed by cleaning it, wiping from the center outwards; 2) the disc is damaged, either live with glitches during playback (improved with MTR 3.0), or find another copy of that movie; or 3) the disc is a recent release with RipGuard copy protection, and you need MTR 3.0 to handle it.

http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3959

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.