Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a friend's iPad (I think it's iPad Air 2) began to screech instead of play audio.

Google coughed up complaints but any "solutions" were dated years ago. Anyone have experience with this issue? She thinks it's off warranty, and rather than pay to have it repaired, she has announced that she will just turn off the sound.

Her whole world is in that iPad. Please give me a place to start. Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
Also, try using headphones or external speakers in the headphone jack to determine if it's the speaker hardware or software.

She can also check the warrantee status on the apple website.

BReligion

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thing I would try would be to erase and restore the iPad iOS through iTunes to see if that solves the issue.
Also, try using headphones or external speakers in the headphone jack to determine if it's the speaker hardware or software.

She can also check the warrantee status on the apple website.

BReligion
Thanks guys. She finally listened to my advice and took it to the Apple repair place. Turns out it's under warranty, it's in their hands now.

I was dreading the prospect of trying to fix it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Thanks guys. She finally listened to my advice and took it to the Apple repair place. Turns out it's under warranty, it's in their hands now.

I was dreading the prospect of trying to fix it.
I sure hope she backed it up before she went!

BReligion

·
Registered
40 Posts
When it comes back from repair I'd be interested in knowing what was wrong.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's too bad! There's no excuse for poor service. Wouldn't surprise me though. Is it working well now?

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again with the screeching

I had a long chat with Apple about this problem a few weeks ago. The apple agent ran diagnostics and determined that it's not hardware.

I backed it up to iCloud, wiped it and reset it and it worked until now.

My friend has some dementia so getting answers about what she was doing when the screeching started is impossible. Also she indecriminately chats with some questionable folks on Facebook messenger.

My spidy sense tells me that the screeching starts when she's interacting with someone on messenger.

The screeching started last evening and whenever the iPad was supposed to audio (game sounds, message drop etc) the screech happened.

I went into settings and turned off notifications for messenger. No screeching. I turned notifications back on and sent several messages - no problem.

Queue Twilight Zone music.

Is it possible that someone is sending her a bit of code that waits for incoming messages and hijacks the sound?

It's quiet for now, but any suggestions for next time are more than welcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts