Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been patiently waiting for the anouncement of the G5 as long as anyone here. Now that they have finally arived, I am struggling with myself wether or not to purchase one.

Here's what I'm struggling with:

My wife and i are expecting our first child, which is why I want to upgrade - to do all of the really cool, fancy video editing that I used to do. However, I don't think my 450 mhz G4 will keep up with the demands of today's video editing.

I know with a G5, video editing will pose no problems for the machine. However, the budget will only barely alow me to purchase the low end G5 with minimal upgrades (HD, RAM etc.) As well, I still have to purchase a MiniDV Camcorder.

On the other hand, do I sink money into my G4 and upgrade it: HD, SuperDrive, RAM, Video Card etc?

So taking into consideration that my wife and I are saving to subsidise her income while she is off, as well as still paying for home improvements that we did before we found out she was pregnant, what would a logical course of action be????

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh Man - stick with your G4!

I've done plenty of video editing with my Cube (450Mhz) and an 80 gb hard drive. Unfortunately, you'll have to get an external DVD drive, and making DVDs can be a bit of a pain with DVD Studio Pro instead of iDVD, assuming of course you can get a (cough) cheap copy of DVDSP.

So, here's what I see - buy a DV videocamera. After the kid goes off to college, then you can afford a new computer.

;)

You'll have to get used to the fact that before a baby it's like "Hmm, maybe I'll buy a $5000 computer". After it will be all like

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

Mark my words. Ask the Mayor. He knows.

-SJ.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
"You'll have to get used to the fact that before a baby it's like "Hmm, maybe I'll buy a $5000 computer". After it will be all like BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY"

... as it should be. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another option would be to buy my buddy's Dual 867 G4, since I know he will be upgrading to the G5.

Let's wait and see what he wants for it.....

But thanks so far for the advice. Keep it coming...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Okay, I will be the devil's advocate and I say go for the G5. You know you want it and you won't be satisfied (deep down) until you get it.

Think of it this way. Promise yourself that everytime you see the G5, you will be an even better dad and an even better husband. Win-win situation, no?

If you don't get it now, your regret and frustration might build up inside and slowly eat you up.

Just teasing of course. ;)

Cheers,

Sander.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,499 Posts
MaxPower, as the King of Indecision and Procrastination, and a father of two, I have to say take your video pictures and digital pictures while your "kinderlach" (Yiddish for "child") is little. Save your money for what is going to be needed for this child. You shall still have the digital tapes and pictures (on CD?) when the time comes that money will not be as tight as it is right now. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Get the G5. I've never been more certain of anything in my life. Use cloth diapers if you have to...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Personally I'd sit on my hands for the next round of G5's to come out, this is a brand new Chipset, and architecture, sure it's faster,
but wait and see what bugs will be..

hey that rhymes!

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Hmmm... hard choice. A low-end G5 would be a good choice and the only thing you'd need to add to it is another 512MB of RAM. Everything else stock would be okay for what you need. It would age better than a G4. But it probably is too much power for what you're doing. A dual G4 would do for you... even a DP 867 or my DP 800. Hey, I could give you a great deal on my Quicksilver DP 800
in end of August or September. You should be able to find lots of deals on dual G4s.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of things on your plate. Take it from someone who has already been down the path of being a new dad...for the next year you'll likely be too busy finding a moment's rest to care about such things as whether your Mac is fast enough for video (it is, BTW, just top up your RAM). In addtion, a year from now the low-end G5s will occupy the place of what is now the high-end.

Give it some time, save your money, and get lots of rest.

Oh yeah...and congratulations!

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
....or you could take advantage of the big price drops on the dual-mirror G4 systems (the mid-range model is particularly nice). If you plan to make any money from your video-editing efforts, the G5 will come, down the road.

M.

·
Registered
645 Posts
MaxPower,

Why put yourself into more debt? Your wife will be off of work. You have house debts, probably credit card bills on top of regular bills to pay. A baby is going to cost you over the amount of a low end anything G5. Maybe take Doc G's advice and use a camcorder to record everything, and when the right time permits, then splurge on a G5 or upgrade that G4

·
Registered
719 Posts
At this point, why invest in a G5 when there is no software, including an OS, that will take advantage of 64 bit computing?

I would suggest waiting for at least 1 or two "new" releases of G5 "iron" and some maturity in the software end before sinking that sort of money.

Buy a gently used late model g4 from someone that is upgrading.

And save your money for diapers.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. While I am a new shiny thing junkie, reason has come into play and I am going to see what my buddy wants for his Mirror door G4. That would be plenty for what I am about to do.

The biggest problem with my G4 is that it only has a 20 GB HD in it. Not nearly enough for video.

Oh yeah, my wife wasn't too thrilled either when I said I "needed" a G5

·
Registered
173 Posts
At a local cheap retail PC store, I could get a 80 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm HD for 130 Can$. Prices are going down by the day. You'd get 100 gig total inside your machine. How much video do you intend to do?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It really depends on how crazy I get with taking video of the kid. I really want to do Video editing to give my Dad DVD's of his first grandchild (He lives in Penetanguishene - 1.5 hours North of Toronto) and he is planning on an 8 - 12 month trip to the Caribbean after this upcoming winter. As well I plan to send DVD's to my Brother-inLaw in Texas.

Who knows what else I'll take movies of, but right now our baby is the primary subject.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,499 Posts
MaxPower, I think that you have placed priorities is a realistic order -- Baby as #1 and the rest of what/who you are/do/feel/say/want/need/crave/like/dislike/etc as below #1. May the child be healthy, happy and wise. Mazel tov!

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Dr. G. - BTW, I AM jealous about your recent order of a shiny new G5!!

I do have th $$ for a new computer - just not enough to justify a new G5 right now. I am currently in talks with my buddy to purchase his dual mirrored doors G4. A good machine with enough horsepower, etc for what I want/need to do. We are even considering a trade for my current G4 - so that should shave some $$ of the price.

I had a brief discussion with my wife last night and we agree that yes we could probably need a new machine - just not the latest and greatest, especially with the bills starting to accumulate with the commitments we have made for some home improvements this summer - Deck, landscaping, kitchen tiles etc. So in the whole scheme of things, and looking at the situation a little more realistically, upgrading to a newer model makes the most sense.

However when our new addition arrives, I probably won't even have time to spend on video editing. Which reminds me, maybe Mr. Mayor might want to do an ehMac Baby Sleeper line

·
Canadian By Choice
117,499 Posts
MaxPower, I bought my first computer, an Apple IIe in July, 1983, and my daughter was born in August, 1983. I bought an Apple IIgs just before my son was born in Oct., 1986. Needless to say, I did not learn how to program in Basic, or Apple Logo, or anything else. I do have hundreds of pictures and dozens of VHS tapes to scan and transfer into iPhoto/iMovie/iDVD from when they were young. My son may be taller than I am now, but I still have a picture of me holding him when he was 10 minutes old. Thus, enjoy your time with your child/children and play with them while he/she is still young. Don't envy my computer, and I shall not envy you on the joys of being a father.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts