Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which Monitor plug to use to connect Macbook to 24" LCD - DVI or HDMI?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a new LCD monitor to use in conjunction with my late 2008 MacBook.

It would also be nice to have a HDMI input as I have 2 digital camera's that have HDMI output so playback on this would be nice.

Because I havent shopped for a LCD in many years, I dont know what are the brands, and stores I should look at.

I see some brands such as DELL and Stores like NCIX offer extended warranty services as well.

It would be nice to find a monitor under $300

anyhelp would be appreciated

thanks!

EDIT:
NCIX had the BenQ E2420HD on sale so I have ordered one of them...

Now, I have to decide, should I connect the MacBook via the DVI-D or one of the HDMI Plugs ?! What would you guys suggest? The monitor comes with a VGA :eek: cable only so I will need to buy a DVI cable or HDMI cable anyway

Going to head to MonoPrice.com to check out costs of cables..

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
If you shop around you can find the NEC Multisync EA231WMI for about $375. I know that's more then your budget but its one of the cheaper IPS monitors and has a very good reputation. Its also got display port, DVI, USB hub, speakers and VGA inputs...so your camera's would plug into the DVI input.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply..

I hear people mentioning IPS all the time.. I have no clue what it is.. hmmm.. time to do a wiki lookup..

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
In General it goes IPS>PVA/MVA>TN.

More $300 or less monitors are TN panels. Low viewing angles and poor colour reproduction. Only good if you want Fast response times (2ms) for gaming.

IMHO, do your eyes a favour and get at least a PVA/MVA panel :D

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In General it goes IPS>PVA/MVA>TN.

More $300 or less monitors are TN panels. Low viewing angles and poor colour reproduction. Only good if you want Fast response times (2ms) for gaming.

IMHO, do your eyes a favour and get at least a PVA/MVA panel :D
Yeah, I'm not going to be gaming on it.. just Macbook and the odd playback from my HD Camera via HDMI

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
Here's a good primer on panel types

LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN

Summary of LCD Panel Technology

* S-IPS/H-IPS panels are generally considered the best all around panel type, but they are more expensive and very few are made. High end, expensive.
* S-PVA/MVA panels offer better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN panels, have slightly worse response times than TN or S-IPS, offer the best contrast ratios, may suffer from color shifting or input lag and have higher availability than S-IPS panels. Mid range, fair price.
* TN panels are very cheap and have the fastest response times, but suffer from inferior color reproduction, contrast ratios and viewing angles. Low end, inexpensive

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm going to get myself one of the higher end TN ones, like a Samsung Syncmaster - it does all I need it to, really, and I'd rather spend the extra $ on more screen real-estate rather than more vivid/accurate colours. Personal preference I guess, I don't find HDTV worth paying extra for either.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
It all depends what you do. for me, inaccurate colour on my monitors means a lot of waster paper and ink from prints with bad colour. I had considered replacing my 24" MVA LCDs with the NEC 23" IPS mentioned above for better colour.

I spent a few hours getting the calibration just right though, and I'm happy with it now, so I'll keep my monitors for a while yet.

Luc

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking of getting this one for myself (mind you it was $249 Black Friday week).
Acer B243H 24" wide-screen 1920x1080 LED... (ET.FB3LP.002) at OWC

You can also try Costco if return/exchange factor is important to you.
Costco - Computers - LCD - 21 in. and Larger

COSTCO!! I never thought of that.. the wife just got us membership this year to them.. I always though it was a supermarket.. or slightly better than WalMart. (I think I was last in a CostCo store in 2002 when I first came to Canada.. !)

I did also notice most new LCDs are now 1920 x 1080 resolution ie. 16:9 :eek: rather than 16:10

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I did also notice most new LCDs are now 1920 x 1080 resolution ie. 16:9 :eek: rather than 16:10
Yeah, so are the new iMacs :D The convergence of Computers and TV's marches ever closer.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now, which plug - DVI or HDMI

thanks for the input on the montiors guys.

NCIX had the BenQ E2420HD on sale so I have ordered one of them...

Now, I have to decide, should I connect the MacBook via the DVI-D or one of the HDMI Plugs ?! What would you guys suggest? The monitor comes with a VGA :eek: cable only so I will need to buy a DVI cable or HDMI cable anyway

Going to head to MonoPrice.com to check out costs of cables..

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
I don't think it'll make any difference at all since the macbook's don't send audio over display port which is the only advantage HDMI has over DVI...that said you might as well get the HDMI cable as it'll be more useful to you if you ever want to connect your macbook to a TV

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think it'll make any difference at all since the macbook's don't send audio over display port which is the only advantage HDMI has over DVI...that said you might as well get the HDMI cable as it'll be more useful to you if you ever want to connect your macbook to a TV
I looked into this a bit more at MonoPrice.. Its better to buy the MiniDisplayPort->HDMI adapter than the MDP->HDMI Cable as the plug on the cable version has a large "head" and restricts the USB plug a bit. The Adapter on the other hand is narrower and allows USB cables to be easily plugged into the machine.

So I got the HDMI Adapter a few HDMI cables and a spare HDMI to DVI cable just to be sure.. hey, it was only $4 extra anyway ;-)

oh, they do have a special(expensive) cable that will combine Audio from the Mac and Video (Minidisplay Port) into the HDMI

Anyway, thanks for everyones help.. hope to be rocking a nice 24" screen late next week :)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I would vote for DVI. DVI is meant for Monitors, HDMI is meant for home theatre. I've had nothing but problems getting LCD TVs and Monitors to work at proper resolutions via HDMI. DVI will always work properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts