Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally just got my new iMac working with internet access. This is my first Mac, and no regrets so far. Originally I was going to wait a couple more months to buy a 15" one, but I happened to be wandering through Future Shop a few days ago and saw a display model (17" FP, 800mhz, Superdrive, etc.) for $2200 CAN. Well, I knew that a new 15" iMac was only a couple hundred dollars cheaper, so I figured why not get this 17"? Anyway, I ended up getting it and it's a fantastic machine. There was a bit of dust and fingerprints to clean off, but now it looks brand new. The widescreen is incredible, excellent for watching DVDs.

Now here's the big question. Unfortunately this computer only comes with OS 10.1.5. I'm kind of in a debate with myself over whether I should go out and get 10.2 Jaguar ($125 academic pricing at the university) or whether I should wait for 10.3 Panther. I guess it really depends on when it comes out. If it's going to come out in the next two or three months, I'll probably wait. But if it's not out until the fall I think I might as well get 10.2 right away.

There are a few little quirks I'm still trying to get used to. Some of these may have already been fixed in 10.2. The mouse speed, even when cranked to maximum, is still too slow. (Though I have managed to get used to the one button without much of a problem). I'm still not quite used to the Finder. I think I just need a little more time to figure everything out. Oh yeah, and I almost have a heart attack everytime I turn the computer on and the speakers blare out that startup chime sound.

I was looking at OS X books, but they seem to be aimed either at new computer users or at UNIX techies. It's true that I'm new at using a Mac, but I've also been a PC user for years. (The last PC I owned I built by hand from various parts I ordered on ebay). I'm kind of sick of the whole PC/Microsoft/troubleshooting thing though.

I've been lurking around these forums for a little while now, but I really didn't want to post anything until I got a Mac and got everything working. I'm not sure what I can contribute, being a new Mac user and all. I guess if anyone has any Photoshop or Coreldraw questions I can probably answer them. (Then again, I'm sure there are a lot of Photoshop users frequenting these forums that know a lot more than me).

I hope I don't offend anyone by posting this frivolous "i'm a first-time Mac user and i'm so excited" post.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Penner,
Welcome to ehMac and welcome to the Mac community.

No question is ever frivilous.

Please feel free to ask away.

As for Jaguar vs. Panther, I would defer to those that are more "in the know" on the subject.

One would assume that the Panther upgrade would be about the same as the Jaguar upgrade,but as you point out, it is a question of timing.

Keep watching and reading. Someone will post back an answer.

Once again, welcome !

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Hey Penner, welcome to ehMac and congrats on the new iMac! :cool:

For books, I recomend Switching to Mac, The Missing Manual from O'Reilly. Good book that just shows you how to do things on a Mac when you're used to a PC.

If you want the Turbo fast mouse that you may be used to on a PC, there is some great shareware out there. Lots to find at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/. Good one here called MouseZoom. (Free program)

Thanks again for contributing to ehMac! I encourage any other "lurkers" out there to get involved, asked questions!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Oh yeah, regarding waiting to buy 10.2 vs 10.3. Not totally sure when 10.3 will be out. Apple will be showing a preview version on June 23rd. I imagine it would be a month or two until it comes out after that at least.

I think for $129 it will be a good buy even if they update by August / September. For me, the OS X Mail Junk Mail feature and Quartz Extreme would make it worth the upgrade. I don't use Address Book, iChat etc.. that much but you might find them useful. I do really like iCal and also love Safari and Tabbed Browsing.

I also occasionally scan and need Jaguar with my scanner.

Waiting wouldn't be a bad decision neither.
Hope that's clear as mud.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
HEY YOU SHOULD BE GETTONG OSX 10.2.5 for about $30,
Apple puts coupons in the box to mail in for updates in system software if you buy an old box.
You might have to call Apple for details
Do it soon and you will be loving 10.2.5, its a big improvement over 10.1.5
In the meantime, you can also use OS 9.2.2 in the startup disl control panel

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
ehmax
Then what are the 3 coupons I got in my box with my new Mac for?
I havent looked at them , but Apple put in some coupons for updates or something in with my manual, and stickers.

I thought you had 6 months to use the coupons.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
The coupons are pretty much useless.

I think I have only seen Apple use them once, with the upgrade from 10.0x to 10.1. You could go into a dealer for a limited time, and get a free 10.1 upgrade CD.

Anytime I have seen Apple do an upgrade, it has been time sensitive and requires a sales receipt with date of purchase.

There is definetly no way to get Jaguar with any machine you buy now that doesn't come with Jaguar. Maybe if you called Apple and really sqeaked the wheel or something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

macspectrum, thanks for reassuring me that I don't need to worry about asking "dumb" questions (and thanks for the welcome)!

ehMax, thanks for the book recommendation. I was flipping through "OS X The Missing Manual" and it looked pretty good, but the book you recommend sounds better for me. I'll keep my eyes open.

jeac5, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you like my avatar, I drew it myself in Photoshop.

Mississauga, I installed that MouseZoom program that you (and ehMax) recommended and it works great! Thank you.

minnes, thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I didn't get a box with this Mac. The salesguy at Future Shop said that they don't save the empty boxes of display units because they take up too much storage space. Incidently, they also somehow misplaced all of the restore CDs, but the guy said that he's going to order some more. Hopefully they should arrive soon.

I guess I'll wait untill my restore CDs arrive (actually I've got my fingers crossed that they'll send me 10.2, though I'm kinda doubtful). Anyway, thank you all for responding.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
but unfortunately I didn't get a box with this Mac. The salesguy at Future Shop said that they don't save the empty boxes of display units because they take up too much storage space. Incidently, they also somehow misplaced all of the restore CDs, but the guy said that he's going to order some more. Hopefully they should arrive soon.
I'm reading, and I have nothing to say. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Penner,
Congrats and welcome to a Mac. Check with the front clerk people at the store again about the box, Futureshops tend not to throw out the boxes (for Macs they usually sit right under where they are displayed) so it may still be around. My neighbor bought the same machine about three weeks ago for the same cash and she got 10.2...comment to the manager about this as well, they may throw in a copy. It never hurts to ask. Also point out that anyone else selling these machines are selling witha copy of 10.2, they tend to like to match what others are doing. Good luck and enjoy, a great machine with an absolutely gorgeous monitor.

·
Registered
656 Posts
the boxes go to the garbage the moment a unit is put on display. there's no way to get that back, although the missing restore cds should never have happened.

...granted, i've lost some of the cds and manuals and such from demo units from time to time, just make sure to hound these people until you get the restores.

...go back and talk to the computer department DSM (just ask for him/her) and get them. these restore cds are very important to have. i will try to find out more about the ordering procedure from my DSM and see if we can expedite the process.

otherwise, good for you for getting a mac, and welcome to ehmac.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Re: Mouse speeds.
Mac mice have always worked differently than PC mice. On a Mac, the speed is always slow when you move the mouse slowly. It's one reason why graphics pros took to the platform so heartily; no matter what setting you use, you can always make precise, one-pixel selections in a graphics app.

The control panel adjusts mouse acceleration. Set it to the highest setting, and move the mouse quickly. A small quick movement moves the mouse all the way across the screen. Move the mouse slowly, and there is no acceleration at all. At it's lowest setting, there is no acceleraton, and you need a big mousepad to move across the screen. It's best for trackball users.

Check it out; you will naturally begin to adopt and in a short while you'll appreciate the difference.

As for the startup chime (it's a hardware test confirmation) it is a chord. If you ever hear the chord's notes played separately that indicates a hardware test (typically memory going bad) failure.

To kill the startup chime, hit the mute key once(at the top of the numeric keypad). You can still adjust other sounds normally (ie play CD, etc). Check out the control panel and adjust system sound volume to your liking (I have all system sounds off; it's a habit you get quickly if you use a computer for sound recording or playing through an external amp).

·
Registered
11 Posts
A question

Hi everyone!
I just found this forum and was reading through it. Its very helpful. I just got a new imac G5 today, it is so pretty, i'm so in love with it. :) Apples used to scare me, I always thought they were so pretty n hot, but then would be so frustrated with how to use them, so i'd always practice on my windows doing whatever I could to make it pretty like a mac like add a dock n skins n all that stuff, but now I finally have one and am not scared of it at all. I'm getting used to the applications...but I do got a question. I got this pc as a display model, and they did not give me any cds or anything, i'm just scared because with windows I always had to restore it, im just wondering how I can get the cds? The guy at Best Buy said I had to buy the cds, and that they won't order them i'm kind of mad b/c I thought they should give me the cds or try to get them for me since they lost it. Anyhow how important is it for me to have these cds? this one girl said she can get them burned for me would that work?

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
install CD's can be your saving grace. It is seriously important to have them on hand just in case. I would stomp into the place you purchased the machine, and demand that you get the CD's. That... or give Apple a call.. and tell them the situation. Seriously, you paid full price? If you got a deal, then I can see it being different.. But if you paid full price, demand they take the price of the CD's off and buy the CD's with that money.

Burning them is Piracy, and Piracy is illegal ;) Although, technically would work.

Hope you get the issue resolved quickly. It doesn't happen often, but there are times when you will need those CD's.

Take care, and welcome to EhMac :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.