Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm back. Nice to see how much the community has grown since last spring. Looking forward to hanging out again over the winter.

I'm not really set up yet for the 'net, so I probably won't read or post for a few days yet (Sask Tel says tuesday... ).

A big hello to all the old friends and of course, welcome to the newcommers.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Posterboy, I have this thing called a job that requires a few things that are unusual (compared to most people's jobs).

I work 12 hour days, 7 days a week, for about 5 months a year. In other words, its about 80 hours a week without any breaks until I'm done for the year; generally I will work about 120-150 days in a row.

This year was an exception; the boss gave everybody June 5th off this year, because we somehow managed to do a great job of preparing for our season, which began when the first planeload of customers arrived on June 7th.

It's in a very remote area, so even though I have my Mac along, I can't get online (well, I could plug the modem into a sattelite phone, we have about a dozen of 'em, but at five bucks a minute I kind of have to decline).

So there you go; I've been "offline" since May.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Gosh....I go away for a few days and then I return, check in, and find that GordGuide's back!! :D

Too cool!!

We really missed you buddy!
:cool:

Welcome back.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I'm online with DSL now.
The SaskTel guy hopped in, left the modem and installed a few filters. Then he warned me to be sure and call the (unnamed computer company) so they can "set it up".
As soon as he left, I plugged everything in, chose DHCP from network preferences, and launched IE5.
You guys know the result... I'm online.
The mysterious computer expert has yet to arrive, but I guess when he does he will give me some eMail info and leave.
Gotta love a Macintosh.

·
Registered
235 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Gotta love a Macintosh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. On Sunday a client phoned me in a complete panic. Big presentation on Monday AM and he couldn't get his CDR to connect on his PC, his .avi movie would not embed properly and PC version of PowerDoink is useless... a lot of features I understand are not available to the PC folks...

two hours, rebuilt the PPT (It was so ugly) burned a few CDs and flipped the avi in in a couple of minutes...

No. They are all right and we are all so wrong the PC is the way to go. Yeah right.

Like being a Navy Seal - we have our hands on the most advanced and sophisticated equipment in the world and people call us if there is something really important that has to get done right the first time and quickly.

yep... they are right.

Morons.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts
I have a similar tale. Was upgrading a lone 9500 for the graphics pro in an all PC company.
She also had an old pc there with no CD drive ( this was a couple years ago) and had a very important email that could only be read in a more modern version of Word - no CD couldn't get Word installed......la la la. :rolleyes:
Grabbed a floppy stuck it in the PC then copied onto the Mac which of course read it. Opened it up in Word on the Mac which of course read it. Yanked the ethernet from her PC - stuck it in the 9500 - it saw the HP 4M printer immediately over THEIR network - printed said document.
Total elapsed time less than it took to type this.
Getting her jaw off the floor was another story entirely. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts