Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
... seems removing the cover starts the fans. If those things fire up with the cover in place, I think the new G5s will be as noisy, if not more so, than the current crop of MDDs!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum cleaner with the cover off!

I never heard any sound like that from any of the G5's I saw in NYC. But.. they all had their covers on.

Looking at that movie makes me worry all the more. Can you imagine the amount of pet fur that those fans could suck in?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Apple states that the G5 is much quieter then the MDD. So I'm not sure where everyone is getting this idea that the G5 with its 9 fans is super loud, especially since the camera was right beside the machine when you hear the fans. And I believe when the plastic cover is removed, the fans most likely would pick up speed (more noise) because without the cover to move the air around more air will have to move through since its less effecient lacking the cover.

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
Well putting a server class chip in a desktop I guess it's too be expected BUT methinks my Cube is NOT leaving my desk just yet.

Wow that was noisy butat least Apple put 9 slower fans in.
Bet there is a third party "quiet kit" for these too.
Hmm maybe those Bose noise cancelling headphones should be included with each G5

MDD and G5 quieting kit

only $299 US Dollars phones and you too can see what a Cube is like to work on :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Macdoc,

Nahh we will see "hush kits" available from a 3rd party just like the ones used on the 737's :D

Chealion,

It seems that Apple is correct as long as you keep the cover on. But, who is to say that once you get heavily processor intensive with the G5 that you won't hear those fans with or without the cover?

It is also interesting to note that the fans stay almost near idle with the cover on, but quickly speed up when it is removed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so lets look at how Apple designed this new G5.

With the cover closed you have an almost closed vaccum tube system? Air being forced in the front, over the moving parts and being forced out the back. Now the fans don't pick up speed with having two grills front and back. We also know that or have heard that the fans work with the software for heat control. Meaning they are controlled when to come on and slow down etc....

Now lets look at what happens when you take the cover off. It seems like we disrupt the airflow causing the fans to speed up. Why does this happen? Are we causing more heat to enter the areas with the cover off? You would think by taking the cover off you would allow more cool air in. So are the fans really dependant on software and temperature control? What exactly is causing the fans to speed up when you remove the cover? Or are they running that loud at all times, but we just can't hear it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Now Macdoc, your protestation is a little too obvious ... have you perchance perloined a copy yet, or are you stuck with your o so charming 4 yr old inventory?

I must say, I was very impressed with the cube and 23" cinema display that has been made available for public use in the main lobby of Centnnial College's East York Campus at Mortimor and Pape in Toronto ... quite a nifty display ...

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
Perloined a copy of??? :confused:

Tell them all at http://www.cubeowner.com/ orhttp://www.cube-zone.com/ about 4 year old inventory :D

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59764,00.html

We grab all the Cubes we can find because there is still nothing that combines elegance and absolute silence - even Powerbooks don't cut it these days.

It's so cool to have the upgrades available.

The closest experience may be the 12" Powerbook run as a desktop when not travelling but then an ADC is a difficult juggle.

Apple has a classic with the Cube and there has been persistent rumours about a Cube II. Bring it on :D

Every time someone walks in by the Cube on display there is this "pause to admire".
My 20th Anniversary still gets some looks but not like the Cubes.

We've got it set up with a brilliant white an chrome wireless Keyboard and mouse which adds even more to the glamorous look.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Always the showman, macdoc. ;) :cool: :D

But I do like the Cube myself....and am always hoping for a newer version from Apple. Perhaps a stacked and horizontally segmented Cube so we could customise it ourselves and add, or leave out, drives, RAM modules etc.

A short Cube for the minimalists, and a tall Cube...or even Dual Cubes connected by Gigawire for those of us who want the very best and fastest. :cool:

Twin Towers of Power! YeeHawww!! :cool: :cool:

Bring it on! ;)

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Apple has put a switch in the lower tabs sockets of the plastic baffle.

The switch kicks in the fans in case the baffle is removed to prevent the CPUs from self-destructing. After about 30 seconds of this the pwoer manager shuts the machine down automatically.

I know this, we had a chance to disassemble a unit a couple of days ago and investigate the construction. This has to be one of the most well-engineered cases we've ever seen. It as 1.6ghz unit.

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
That makes sense Trev as a enterprise class chip, motherboard at that bus speed and RAM at that speed all produce a huge amount of heat.
What's the sound comparison between the latest MDDs and the G5 as a guess??

BTW Apple Store Buffalo has a couple of G5s for look see - not for sale. :(

•••
Macnutt Apple could open things up by just chopping the head off the iMac.
I think portable technology will overtake the Cube as a potential category.
Remember you can put a big dual in an existing Cube and Firenet should get here eventually.
It's often not fun to hook up as the wiring setup is awkward but everytime you sit down to absolute quiet and a terrific piece of eye candy I and others appreciate Apple's break through vision.
Why they abandoned the concept of quiet is beyond me. It hurt them immensely. I know many users who hung on to their DAs and QSs just for that reason.

I have a small USB LED light that reflects off and hilights the Cube and creates shadows in the room ( there is a mobile above my desk) and it creates a lovely low light level in the room that is constantly changing.
With the silence of the Dolby theatre system ( an that's a treat too) in the room the Cube's quiet is really important so that I can work and enjoy the theatre system at the same time.
Even the very quiet external burner intrudes so it's off until needed.
A big screen and an elegant quiet gorgeous CPU is a very satisfying combo.
Apple got it right then- think what they COULD do now if they wanted to. :(

As to showman - sure - many forget what a startling piece of design the Cube is. Never hurts to remind them. ;)

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
We'll we didn't have enough time to really give it a workout but the sound level at idle and usual work loads was much less than a MDD.

I think Apple really learned their lesson from the MDD fiasco

The sound level from the G5 was just slightly more than an LCD iMac which I think is a step in the right direction. By segregating 4 airlfow zones they have much more control over the cooling now and fan speeds.

My MDD which sits right beside me sounds like a fridge compressor. I can't wait for my dual G5 to show up. I'll be getting a unit in the first shipment up here...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts