1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hmmm, looks interesting, but is it really better? ;)

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
A completely meaningless comment Lars.

What you see there IS a dressed up Cube nicely executed NOT a new design.
That said I would not be surprised about a new model in the works.
There has been a strong demand for a quiet headless Mac and this would be a terrific move for Apple providing a brigge between loud pro towers and using portables as desktops. :cool:
A 1.6 G5 version of this priced under $2k or a 1.25 G4 version priced at $1499 would be a winner. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Powercube enclosure is simply a cosmetic affectation, Lars. Empty calories, but could be loved by Cube fans, everywhere -- of which MacDoc is one and as am I, even though I don't own one.

As for a headless iMac, i.e.: an INEXPENSIVE Cube design, this would go far in aiding Apple in corporate sales and would be perfect as a client in an xServe network. Like Apple started with the eMac being an education only offering, Apple should offer a US$500.00 Cube-like design for business, only (such a product being offered to the masses would kill Apple's gross margin). No PCI slots needed, a basic GPU (with the 32MB Quartz Extreme minimum spec), USB II, Firewire 400 (if the client wants to blaze along using a Firewire IP network), no CD burning need apply, just a decently clock-sped G4 with Gigabit Ethernet and DVI (or even VGA) connectors. This would allow a company to swap out monitors, and the small form factor (with a retractable carrying handle) would make it easy for the IT guys to carry and even stack either as a cluster around adjoined desks or stack in the backroom, somewhere.

And most of all, the ambient volume in a fanless computer office would be reduced, significantly and make the work environment a little more pleasurable.

So yeah; I think a headless iMac would be more flexible than a Luxo iMac's neck :D And Apple could STILL sell the Luxo iMacs to the masses.

Think Different, Lars

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Also interesting is the licencing of other brand names to unrelated items.

Such as the Harley Davidson logo in this mockup, in computers we have also see F. A. Porche start to design hard drive cases and I also saw on HGTV that they (F.A. Porche) has also designed a coffee maker.

Harley Davidson would better suit a wireless device. As per their moto Live hard Ride Free or something like that.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Stupid back button caused a repeated post...

Move along. Nothing to see here.

[ November 12, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: mannyp ]

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there an echo in here? ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
An economical, fast, consumer-friendly Cube should have been available the first time. That was the main problem with Cube the first time; too pricey (close to 3 grand as I recall, especially when you factor in taxes). Initially it was slightly less than a G4 Tower with had (has) far more expansion capabilities.

I like the shape of the Cube much more than half-a-cantelope

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dunno, Klaatu; I think that if the Luxo iMac had that display neck coming out of a square base, it wouldn't look as elegant as it does. Now, the Cube design by bitself, beside an Apple LCD? Pure cool! :cool:

·
Registered
503 Posts
... that display neck coming out of a square base, it wouldn't look as elegant as it does
Oh, yuck! I agree. That would look like something I saw in Beetlejuice. Remember when one of the wife's artworks came to life at the end?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL!! I sure do! Man, what a great flick! Michael Keaton was CLASSIC!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Quite awhile ago, I used to argue tooth and nail against Macdoc about the concept of a headless Mac vs the current all-in-one designs. Over the past year, I've changed my mind quite a bit and now agree, and would really like to see Apple do this.

For one, give PC switchers a choice to use their existing display at first, just to get a Mac in their hands. Give them the option to upgrade to a cool, large LCD later that looks wicked and who's design would compliment the headless box.

Let other new users pick wich size LCD they want to go with. Or even plug in a 3rd party CRT if they are so inclined. (Who would want to do that!!!
;) )

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly. And, while we're at it, ship a bloody two button mouse. Just to shut 'em up and switch 'em over. Frankly, one's "other" hand is always hovering about the keyboard. So, the Control-click is there. There is SO MUCH to working on this platfom, that interested PC users getting tripped up on a mouse is pretty rediculous. So, build it, and they will come.

Besides, I think that for the first time, Expose has actually given a legitimate need for multi-button mice on a Mac.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Totally agree Macoholic. The other reason I was thinking a headless iMac would be great, is the platform is obviously seeing a surge of switches from the *nix crowd. Folks who already have displays, or just plain-out don't want an all-in one computer. They look at the iMac and eMac and shrug, look at the price of a G5 and think "Cool! Hope I win the lottery!"

A multi-button mouse would go very nicely with this crowd.

I say, keep the iMac with the integrated LCD display, but scrap the eMac and release the headless XBox... Oh wait... :confused: How about xMac.... Sounds kind of like Xmas. How about, "The Cube done right!" :D Hey, iCube.

Didn't Steve say, the Cube would be back some day?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
> Didn't Steve say, the Cube would be back some day?

He suuuuure did.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
Only eight more weeks until Santa Jobs might say "Oh, and one more thing.................", just as he wheels out a ..................... We shall see.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
For years this is what was needed and Stevie and his AIO fixation really hurt Apple marketshare :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I think a small headless Mac such as the half melon would be great....IF.....they can get the cost to about $700 to $800 Can. At that price they can be competitive with PC's. You don't need the big case anymore since you can easily attach accessories externally with firewire or USB.

If Apple really wants to get switchers they have to address the cost issue. The eMac is crippled since it has a monitor that most people won't need or want.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts