Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well if you're not interested in WEM we have many, many other malls to choose from. Let's see there's South Edmonton Common, Kingsway, Southgate, Capilano, Medowlark, Londondary, Westmount, Northtown, Edmonton Center & City Center, Bonnie Doon, Millwoods Town Center, and plenty of additional retail space in St. Albert and Sherwood Park.

Or:
Rabbit Hill Recreation Inc. | Bike Park | Freeride Mountain Biking | Located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
TELUS World of Science- Edmonton, Home Page
Royal Alberta Museum
Alberta Aviation Museum
Univ. of Alberta Devonian Botanic Garden

This ain't all SINC country!
Cheers.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
If you want a nice walk, park your car in Stratcona area (Whyte Ave and 103-104 St area) and walk west down Whyte Avenue and enjoy the shops, then make your way up 109 St and head on the west side of the High Level bridge, walk across, there's a nice little valley side park there. You can then cross over to government grounds and enjoy the area, head up to the downtown core like around the city hall area, then take the LRT back to University Station and hop on a 6 Downtown or 4 Capilano bus back to your car. It's a nice little walk I did last time (although I got picked up from downtown by a friend to catch Spiderman 3 but anyway :p).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cowboy hats may help
Profiling! :lmao:

Actually when I moved to Calgary when I was 14 that's the first thing I bought, along with cowboy boots. Jeans, white t-shirt, cowboy boots and hat...That's the uniform... :D

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I loved Edmonton as a kid, found it super boring as a teenager, but now that I'm older I'm starting to appreciate the city again. It's by no means a large city and has its ups and downs but overall it's an excellent place to raise a family, great for those looking for a more laidback lifestyle, and it's probably one of the major cities that is not targetted by terrorists. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
WEM??? There has to be more in Edmonton than the William's Envelope Museum.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
'Spec, it could be applied to anything, such as not reading every little idiotic entry in Free Dominion or from some screeching hypocrite like, er, never mind

The wisdom can be seen when looking beyond petty personal politics to something larger. For example, "does not read good books" could be applied to Moore films, or not. You have clearly made your choice, but that is quite subjective.

Do you begin to see something beyond your own political anger? That strange beyond is a wonderful place wherein right-pawed Foxes and left-pawed Foxes are largely irrelevant. Visit sometime, when you are ready.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
There are plenty of things to do in Edmonton.

Visit Fort Edmonton Park or the Valley Zoo.

The Telus World of Science, formerly the Space and Sciences Centre is a great spot with a wonderful iMax theatre.

The Muttart Conservatory is a tropical paradise.

If you have wheels, the Ukrainian Cultural Village about a half hour east on the Yellowhead highway is an education in itself and you get to check out the Bison at Elk Island national park along the way.

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, thanks for all the suggestions. I got back this evening. Managed to do a couple of non-shopping things, but the two teenaged girls with me (my daughter and her friend) had no difficulty spending two full days at the mall. What were my impressions of Edmonton?

1. Different weather every day--sometimes several kinds of weather in a single day--a nice change from the Lower Rainland.

2. An road infrastructure that puts Vancouver to shame. Edmonton could probably double its population without getting into major traffic snarls (assuming I didn't just somehow miss them).

3. (actually a function of #2) What I call "the rhythm of Edmonton." It goes like this: thump thump . . . thump thump . . . thump thump . . . Lane-wide cracks in the road surface pretty much everywhere I drove. After a couple of days, I could hear it in my sleep. It reminded me of other places where there's been more emphasis on building than maintenance: the I-5 through Washington, and everywhere I drove in LA. I really can't decide which plan is better: the BC model--build inadequate roads, but keep them reasonably well, or the Edmonton/Washington/LA model--build wherever necessary, then leave them to nature's whims.

Anyway, I enjoyed the trip. Taking the girls to Edmonton was really just an opportunity for me to cross another BC highway off my list: Highway 5 from Kamloops to Tete Jeune Cache, which is one I'd never driven before. It's a very nice drive along the North Thompson, sloping hills on either side, gradually becoming mountains near the north end. No hairpins, a handful of tiny communities, and scenic enough that having only two lanes virtually all the way is not a source of frustration.

(And only a few km of thump thump.)

BTW, can anyone tell me why gas in Edmonton costs basically the same as gas in Vancouver? Shouldn't the lack of PST be reflected in the price?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts