Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Yup.

It won't work with your MBP. The "line in" on the Mac does not accept non-powered (i.e., "mic-level") signal. It must be powered (i.e. "line-level"). If you just picked it up, I suggest returning it for an exchange on a different model.

You are better off getting a USB chat headset.

WARNING: Stay away from Logitech headsets. I've had both the USB 350 and currenlty the USB 250 (portable/collapsable). Logitec support is nonexistent. Both of these headsets will, consistently, freeze my laptop upon connection, requiring a hard restart. I've pored over (and contributed to) several threads on the Logitech support forum and in Apple's support discussion areas - no resolution.

That said, I don't know who else makes decent USB headsets... would love to see some recommendations!

M.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Thanks, TrevX, I had a look at it - unfortunately, my tastes tend toward the less-1980's-headphone-ish look, to something more like an over-the-ear model. That's one area where Logitech's USB 250 has the edge. Great design, lousy OS X integration

M

·
Registered
968 Posts
I gave him the idea ;)
LOL, indeed you did. I should have listened right away, too. I bought two Logitech USB headsets from FactoryDirect.ca that were made for the PS2. I did some google searching and someone said they worked with OS X. Sure enough, when I got them I plugged them in and OS X recognized them properly. However, one of the headsets had a broken mic so I could hear through the headphones but not speak. The other one had broken headphones, so I could not hear through them but I COULD speak. The company will not return my emails or phone calls. They were only $5.99 with $5.99 shipping (they were refurbs with 90 days warranties) so I'm only out about $23 total, but still...lesson learned. ;-)

Trev

·
Registered
347 Posts
Make sure that Mute isn't selected in the Audio MIDI Setup Utility - my headset gets muted every restart, and I have no idea why. Although it's a one-channel (mono) headset, sometimes the stereo channel gets muted, and sometimes it's the mono channel. Worth a shot...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rats bought the Internet Chat Headset today!

The Internet Chat Headset was on sale at "The Source" for $17.00 where as other stores had it for twice or more the price. Of course as was said in this forum, the ol' mic doesn't work. Some other sites recommended an USB adapter to make it work ($35, Yikes!).
The Source clerk said it WILL work for the mac although the pkg. didn't say so. Needless to say my wife (a top notch career mediator) will get our money back. Any suggestions to a replacement? It is really for my son who plays Warcraft religiously (Hey! he is doing well at school so that's fine with me).
Hey TrevX! Is the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 good as you say and will work with my 20" iMac intel? I guess I can't expect anything cheaper eh?
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.