Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of buying an MB... And wanted to know about the HDD speeds. I want the 200GB drive, but it's going at 4200 RPM as opposed to 5400 for the 160. How different is this? The 200 GM has more stuff crammed onto the same surface area, so shouldn't it not be too slow?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Well... there are 3rd party Aftermarket options available to you.

Canada Computers - Hard Drives > Notebook Drives : Hitachi HD 200GB Mobile Harddrive, SATA 7200rpm, 16MB Buffer (0A50940).

That's a 200GB 7200 RPM for $258 -- only about $50 more than Apple's cost to upgrade to 200GB.

Or, if you want the slower one, you can save $$ by going aftermarket -- and then using the included HD as a backup.

Canada CTY Computers - Toshiba 200G SATA Notebook Hard Drive 8M Buffer 4200rpm (MK2035GSS) -Retail store for computer parts,accessories,systems. Location,Ontario,Richmond Hill,HWY7,Tornto,College.

$167 for a 200GB 4200RPM -- save $$ ;)

And the Hard Drives in the MacBooks are dead easy to swap out -- and for the extra $50, you'd have a 120/160GB Backup drive for yourself (depending on what MB model you choose).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly the drive I was looking at although it's sold out at Canada Computers for now. That's a perfect option. Thanks a lot for your help... Know anywhere that has it in stock? Also... How reliable are Hitachis? I am a Seagate guy myself...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.