ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 4169 Posts

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Toronto Mayor Ford is now touting more of his brilliant solutions for Toronto.

Like Forcing the homeless into shelters this winter,
That'll be interesting considering a lot of them can't be forced into shelters because
they are mentally unstable and may lash out if they are forced into a shelter.

The war on the car is over apparently, Ford will put everything underground now,
Interesting to see how he's going to do it, Considering the contracts have been awarded already.

Underground streetcars?

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
The man is bent. He doesn't have any other mode but aggro bentosity. He figures he can bull his way out of anything. In lieu of vision, he'll take action, even if it's a completely retrograde move.

Welcome to Fordtown!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Rob Ford is wrong. Let the homeless die. Poverty Inc will then have to find some other form of government handout. "Poverty" has become big business in Toronto. The money spent on the homeless issue could house every homeless person with their own condo. For those homeless folks who aren't completely nuts, hand them a broom or a shovel like they do in NYC in return for shelter.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Let them die - but of course! May ten thousand roses bloom in the soil of their fetid, disgusting ashes. I can see them now, growing, always growing, rising splendidly upwards to the heavens; luxuriant growth sporting lovely, mesmerizing, multi-hued bouquets... a wonderful vision indeed; a bed of floral gusto ringing the heavily guarded perimeter of the fab new, massively large, infinitely cool, pyramid-shaped temple dedicated to the great man himself: Rob Ford, Saviour Of The COTU™.

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
I agree with the subway plan and back Ford 100% in this. Write off the small percentage of the budget wasted on LRT and get back to underground infrastructure. It's a small price to pay for reversing the "Transit City" mistake.

I'm not sure you can force homeless people to go anywhere, but telling them to either get off the street or get into a shelter is reasonable. If he didn't force them inside there would be headlines about his heartlessness.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
You think the Shepherd subway will solve Toronto's transit woes? Really? Do tell. Sounds like the man's been snorting something - and it ain't fairy dust, much as he'd like Torontonians to believe in such a charming fable.

His insistence on strong-arming everything that doesn't naturally fit his vision will serve neither himself, nor the city, very well at all. That said, it does make for good theatre.

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
You think the Shepherd subway will solve Toronto's transit woes? Really? Do tell. Sounds like the man's been snorting something - and it ain't fairy dust, much as he'd like Torontonians to believe in such a charming fable.
I think the Shepherd subway was an odd priority, but still prefer to see the transit underground. I'd rather see two or three additional stations to 100 miles of LRT.

His insistence on strong-arming everything that doesn't naturally fit his vision will serve neither himself, nor the city, very well at all. That said, it does make for good theatre.
If you liked what he was doing, you'd say he was a decisive leader. I happen to like it so far. A massive great antidote to wussy Miller and his NDP vision for Toronto.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Glad we agree that the Shepherd line, as some kind of miraculous problem solver for the COTU's eternally botched transit plan, is an odd priority. Yet it remains enough for you to salute the man? Curious standard you're upholding there.

As for your second point: if you didn't like what Ford was doing, you wouldn't be such an apologist for him. Alas, you happen to like it so far - ergo, let the apologies commence. Drag in the past while you're at it, in the brash pretense that the new regime is somehow infinitely better than the previous one.

Hoo boy.

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
Max, it can't be infinitely better a few days in--that would mean that there wasn't still much more of Miller's malfeasance to undo!

Regarding the subway--I mean that the original choice to branch off Sheppard (I can't believe I slavishly repeated the mis-spelling Shepherd on your cue) would not have been my first choice. But that's what we've got to work with.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
MF: but you must admit it ain't much to work with, is it?

Leaving how the mayor deals with the homeless aside for a moment, the transit vision is rather screwy. On the one hand, he grandly declares that the war on the car is over (meaning the war on the bike, and everything else, is happily renewed), and on the other, he's informing us his grim intention to at least complete the Sheppard line (and yeah, my mistake on the spelling, ta for pointing that out - been out last night doing pints with my brother at the Strathcona)... it's not as if the approach is really one which embraces mass transit or meaningfully addresses how to move millions of cars around the GTA without adding any new infrastructure beyond a single subway line in the north end. I am simply not impressed. We'll leave aside for the moment his desire to ignore his councillors and his insistence that he alone can effectively represent the will of the city's inhabitants, though the pretensions of grandeur there are astonishing, given his electoral ploy of presenting himself as a man of the people.

But your contention that the mayor has his hands full undoing the malfeasance of the Miller years rings hollow to me. I suppose I must expect such a gambit though. This is rather like the pendulum-like liberal/conservative blame game which plays itself out on provincial and federal levels in a grand nod to history and an abiding trust in the public's short memory.

But back to homelessness. I'm waiting for Mr. Mayor to see the light about how forcibly cramming the homeless into their shelters at night might have some unpleasant repercussions he's not foreseen in his rush to be the COTU's turnaround king. For starters, there's the high rates of infectious disease and petty crime in the shelters... not to mention the problems associated with getting the mentally ill to "see the light." I wonder how the cops will play into his envisioned scenario. Will a new detachment of them be created and given special new uniforms - to sweep the ugly homeless people off the street as each and every night falls, thereby saving them from themselves? WIll a new team of lawyers be put to work dealing with the trampling of human rights stemming from forcibly rounding up this sorry lot and stuffing them into their special nocturnal holding pens?

At this point I am not convinced that Ford is eager to understand the problems governing this city presents him - he's more into sound bytes and optics - politics as usual. I imagine that if he does start to grok it all, he'll be humbled somewhat and begin to sound some more conciliatory notes - provided it's in him to do so, I might add. Meanwhile Ford plays to the suburban belt, them whut brung him in, and he's scoring points with that crowd. That part of the political game he well understands.

But a mayor of the people, with a subtle, nuanced grasp of what makes this city tick? No evidence of that so far.

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
Leaving how the mayor deals with the homeless aside for a moment, the transit vision is rather screwy.
In NYC Rudy Giuliani dealt with this by declaring that either the derelicts on the street were unwilling to enter shelters by choice or were there because they were mentally ill, so he made sure the mentally ill were placed in facilities that cared for--the mentally ill. The rest were told to go to shelters. I suspect a similar proposal might work here.

Leaving how the mayor deals with the homeless aside for a moment, the transit vision is rather screwy. On the one hand, he grandly declares that the war on the car is over (meaning the war on the bike, and everything else, is happily renewed), and on the other, he's informing us his grim intention to at least complete the Sheppard line (and yeah, my mistake on the spelling, ta for pointing that out - been out last night doing pints with my brother at the Strathcona)... it's not as if the approach is really one which embraces mass transit or meaningfully addresses how to move millions of cars around the GTA without adding any new infrastructure beyond a single subway line in the north end.
I thought you might have seen Rob Ford--just for a second anyway--as your shepherd. Ford did not promise to build massive new roads--only to stop drivers from being bullied and having roads shrunk by LRT systems and ill-advised bike lanes (the Jarvis Street debacle). The removal of the hated VR fee for Toronto drivers only was a great step toward that. If he actually makes the roads themselves better, I will buy him a small halo and declare him a saint.

We'll leave aside for the moment his desire to ignore his councillors and his insistence that he alone can effectively represent the will of the city's inhabitants, though the pretensions of grandeur there are astonishing, given his electoral ploy of presenting himself as a man of the people.

But your contention that the mayor has his hands full undoing the malfeasance of the Miller years rings hollow to me. I suppose I must expect such a gambit though. This is rather like the pendulum-like liberal/conservative blame game which plays itself out on provincial and federal levels in a grand nod to history and an abiding trust in the public's short memory.
I had reason within the realms of my employment to listen to Miller speak in person and essentially had to force myself not to throw eggs every time he spoke about bringing "good union jobs and other jobs to the city." Miller was a man for all good citizens--of the left--and if he ever represented my vision it was a curious accident.

But a mayor of the people, with a subtle, nuanced grasp of what makes this city tick? No evidence of that so far.
There ya go. 48 hours in office and Max has got him pegged as a loser. I wasn't even that quick with Obama.

·
peek-a-boo
16,143 Posts
Here I was thinking the idea was to reduce the number of cars downtown, allowing the ones that need to drive there freer traffic. Silly me.

ANd here my car in the garage and a transit pass in my pocket.

The war on cars is over! Hot damn I'm gonna drive to work every day now then!

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
Here I was thinking the idea was to reduce the number of cars downtown, allowing the ones that need to drive there freer traffic. Silly me.

ANd here my car in the garage and a transit pass in my pocket.

The war on cars is over! Hot damn I'm gonna drive to work every day now then!
The little man is free to take the transit, while men of serious mien will drive.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
MF: Again with the little men schtick. It sounds like a complex you've been nurturing.

48 hours? You mustn't have been paying very close attention to my posts during the campaign; I offered my opinion long ago that Ford was a buffoon. I'm hoping he's a buffoon capable of learning something and eating humble pie; that remains to be seen. He has some time on his side and I'm content to wait and watch how he does. On the other hand, I am tickled that you are eagerly preparing to buy Ford a "small" halo - once again, your famed generosity of spirit shines like a beacon. I would expect no less from one who possesses the titanic force of will to restrain himself from pelting eggs at public officials holding high office. Huzzah for you, sir!

Presuming Ford wants to see mentally ill homeless people streamed into proper facilities, I wonder how he proposes to fund that. He doesn't strike me as the kind of man who wants to spend money on health care for the indigent and mentally ill - he just wants them out of sight because they're unpleasant and make him feel uncomfortable. So far the man is all about cutting funding, freezing funding, cutting zero services, taming those unions, making the city work but spending no extra funds while doing so. That's more than a few rabbits to pull out of the proverbial hat.

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
MF: Again with the little men schtick. It sounds like a complex you've been nurturing.
Little men take the transit, Max. It's a well known fact. Oh, and if your car is busted and you can't find a cab.

48 hours? You mustn't have been paying very close attention to my posts during the campaign.
I couldn't beat my way through the throngs to hear all of it.

I offered my opinion long ago that Ford was a buffoon. I'm hoping he's a buffoon capable of learning something and eating humble pie; that remains to be seen. He has some time on his side and I'm content to wait and watch how he does. On the other hand, I am tickled that you are eagerly preparing to buy Ford a "small" halo - once again, your famed generosity of spirit shines like a beacon. I would expect no less from one who possesses the titanic force of will to restrain himself from pelting eggs at public officials holding high office. Huzzah for you, sir!
Well, then we differ. I hope he eats no humble pie and keeps blasting his way across the political landscape. It will take the next lefty four years just to collect the pieces of the city as welfare state. Regarding Miller, I was pretty proud of myself for not heckling the guy.

Presuming Ford wants to see mentally ill homeless people streamed into proper facilities, I wonder how he proposes to fund that. He doesn't strike me as the kind of man who wants to spend money on health care for the indigent and mentally ill - he just wants them out of sight because they're unpleasant and make him feel uncomfortable.
I guess I missed the speech where he said the mentally ill are so unpleasant he wants them scooped up like trash. Must have made the papers. Thankfully, hospital costs are borne by the province.

So far the man is all about cutting funding, freezing funding, cutting zero services, taming those unions, making the city work but spending no extra funds while doing so. That's more than a few rabbits to pull out of the proverbial hat.
That's a platform I can really get behind. Very succinctly put. So far... so good!

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
In NYC Rudy Giuliani dealt with this by declaring that either the derelicts on the street were unwilling to enter shelters by choice or were there because they were mentally ill, so he made sure the mentally ill were placed in facilities that cared for--the mentally ill. The rest were told to go to shelters. I suspect a similar proposal might work here.
sounds like that could be rather pricey. where is toronto going to get the funds for that?

in fact, isn't taking public transit back underground even more costly? doesn't expanding the subway cost vastly more money then the proposed LTR? (not to mention the wasted money already spent).

Wasn't ford about fiscal responsibility?

1 - 20 of 4169 Posts