Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if and how you make an exact copy of a disk that was made with iDVD 4. I would like to get advice before I set out just so I can avoid one of those costers you here so much about.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Put the DVD in your DVD drive
Open Disk Utility (Disk Copy in Jaguar)
From the 'Images' menu, choose New -> Image from device...
Select the DVD Drive.

It will take a few minutes to create a file that contains all the information on the DVD and in what sectors that info is stored.

When it's done, eject the DVD
From the images menu -> Burn...

Select the image file you just created and then put a blank in the drive.

That's pretty much it. This wont work for commercial DVDs, before anyone asks.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
I have followed the procedure above and burnt half a dozen disks from the same image. No problem.

When making multiple copies of a disk, always test them one by one. I issued about 10 copies of a holiday film and tested them all in a standard Pioneer DVD player. People reported various difficulties but usually one of three platforms will always work (DVD player, computer - Mac or PC -, or games console). Tell people to experiment until they find something that works for them. In my case the difficulty probably arose from the fact that I made NTSC disks and most of my audience was PAL (should work on most European recent DVD players but...)

Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Only because it hasn't been mentioned yet, but the procedure is exactly the same no matter what kind of disk you want to duplicate (CD, DVD, etc).

However, an important point: the disk image you create will be an exact bit-for-bit copy, including the filesystem. Since a disk image can be used on your Mac like any disk can, you can open and read from the image.

However, certain filesystems will be altered if you mount the image, and that altered filesystem will not be a bit-for-bit copy anymore (checksum will fail, etc).

So, on any disk image you plan to use for duplication, do not ever mount that disk image. If you must mount it, create a copy and mount that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts