Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read that on Aug. 15th, 1998, the original Bondi blue iMac became available for sale to consumers. Steve Jobs and the folks at Apple Computers should say a well deserved "Thank you" to this line of computer for helping to save the company from obscurity.

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
It blasted apart every sales record for a model ever for any platform. It got so bad the the guys that tracked these things split the numbers up JUST BECAUSE OF THE COLOUR :mad: talk about a cheap slap at Apple.

It has it's flaws but they stay in use for a long time. personally I like the beige but the iMac was and is "COOL" :cool:

The Keynote for the iMac was in the top couple ever for Apple and indeed did turn the company fortunes.
Steve Jobs - the PT Barnum of the 21st Century.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just received a call from a person at Canada Post notifying that I was just selected as one of five Canadians for this year's Canada Post Literacy Educator Award. The award includes a new computer, worth apx. $5000. When I asked the person about the computer, this is what she said --

Me -- "Might the computer be a Mac?"
She -- "A what?"
Me -- "A Macintosh computer."
She -- "What kind of computer???"
Me -- "An Apple Macintosh computer!!!"
She -- "Like the apple you eat?"
Me -- "Yes, a Macintosh computer."
She -- "I never heard of that computer before, but I don't think so."
:eek:
:(

So much for Apple Canada's marketing! C'est la vie.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
...and I bought one for my mom on the 14th... apparently the first one sold in Canada!

Shh... don't tell anyone. My retailer wasn't supposed to do that. :D

Happy Birthday, iMac!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Steve Jobs - the PT Barnum of the 21st Century.
too bad there isn't a mac user born every minute... wait, are you calling mac users suckers?

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kudos, Macdoc. I have been here 26 years, taught 277 undergrad and grad courses to over 6500 students, but this award was more for my volunteer work in the area of literacy. Still, being the first MUN prof to win this award is nice. What would be sweeter would be a new Mac computer that I was awarded, and did not have to buy. Still, as you say, ignorance is bliss..........or something like that.

Of course, my mailman could always come to my front door and exclain, "Hey, Doc, you got a Mac!!!!!" Stranger things have happened. We shall see.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congatulations Dr, G! I'm authoring this note on my 1/2 yr old imac ... your dedication to education is commendable.

Macdoc, given the advancement in laptop technology - built in wireless networking, extended battery life, hard drive capacity, optical drives (DVD!), do you see a future for the desktop based imac for the non professional user??

What's been your experience with your own business - where's the market at now for home users?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the kind words, jmac. Strange, but since I left university, teaching has been the only profession I have done, in one form or another.

Your question re the "direction" for home users of computers is also an interesting question. One wonders if this is the "year of the laptop" for Apple, or the start of a G5 evolution?

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
No question Laptops are the future and unless you need a lot of multiple drives it's here now.
The 12" Powerbook is the natural replacement for a Cube - drives a big screen, small elegant and quiet.
That said many users are working professionally at home and need the towers altho the G5 is a step back because of the limited bays.

With droppping prices on both FW devices and screens it makes lots of sense to "have you caske and eat it too - portable with a separate screen and mouse. :D

For horsepower at a price tho the earlier towers are hard to beat.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Dr G., congrats! I like to hear like stories. My parents are retired teachers - and I'm actually looking into joining the ranks. I like the thought of it.

But most of all... Happy Bday iMac!

Can anyone get a hold of these sales records? I would love to take a look at those. Can do the research, but I'm about to hit the road... I also have the dilemma - not knowing what to do with mine. Would love to sell it (as I've been offered a handsome sum for it, more than I'll ever make back - still waiting for answer), but I would also consider holding on to it and just bump the drive (hi cap 7200). But liek Macdoc mentioned, it is still a great unit to have on the side. Hmmm.... I could make it a communal computer in my apt... :confused:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, Ohenri. Teaching is a noble profession if one is dedicated, hard working, and willing to expect the unexpected each day.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, Minnes, the unexpected becomes the expected. Still, at least a teacher is prepared for this each day. He/she will not know what to expect other than it will probably be unexpectedly better or worse than what was initially expected.
Still, when teaching becomes boring is when a teacher should retire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts