Ditto to that!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
And GOD bless all MacUsers for Apple glory :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Goodness... Has it been 20 years... I can remember Steve Jobs at the "Harborcastle Hilton" in Toronto showing it off. The show started off with "We are Apple" - a variation of "What a feeling" sung by Irene Carra (sp?)

I met Bill Atkinson (wrote Quickdraw), Bruce Horn and Steve Capps (wrote part of the toolbox and the Finder) and Andy Hertzfeld (wrote other parts of the toolbox). I was in geek heaven!!

Some parts of the last 20 years were a little rough (Gil Ameillo (sp), John Sculley), but we're still here. Apple - just keep that wow of 1984. Things will be great...

John

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya know JohnnyG4, I think I came across a URL for those old tunes about a year ago. How quaint! How very "80's"! :D

The Gil Amelio days... **SHUDDER** God, I just got on the Apple bandwagon around 1995, which is around when he took over. Crappy performa 5200s... Copeland failing... clone licencing doing nothing but killing Apple... and Gil. Dark days, indeed.

Although, it was Gil who saved Apple's bacon. Thank God he bought NeXT and Steve along with it! Thank God Steve took over and got Gil outta there!

Here's to another TWENTY YEARS!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Crappy performa 5200s... Copeland failing...
They we're crappy indeed, but I didn't have any problem with it for more than 7 years-and it was my first Apple Computer (I've used a Classic to write articles in my college newspaper- back in 1993). My master's thesis is still on it's hard disk. If it wasn't so slow surfing the Internet, I would gladly give it to my mother.

But back to topic : Happy birthday Apple :D

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Or this coming Tuesday.
I stuck some stuff in Everything Else - have a peek.
The 1984 commercial is there. etc Crank the volume up. :D

The Mac turns 20

I'll be adding interesting links. Should be a trip down memory lane for many of us.

First Mac, worst Mac - the thread there is asking for how it changed your life, career etc.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Very cool - still working after all these years. :eek:

Celebrations seem a bit spotty around the web.

At online parties are fat free :D

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Cool Mac display... HAPPY BIRTHDAY MACINTOSH !!!

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I'm surprised that Apple didn't have anything on thier site.
Oh, I'm sure they've got something cookin'!

I got my first Mac ten years ago; it was a Color Classic. Such a nice little thing, especially after I accelerated its anemic 16 mhz up to 50 mhz with a DayStar Card. 50 mhz was pretty fast in those days, whether in the Apple or on the... other side. I felt sick to my stomach installing the card, as the motherboard had to be slid completely out of the machine - I'd never done something like that before and was scared that I'd damage it. My worries were unfounded. It was as easy as changing a Nintendo game cartridge.

Now... after a decade I have a G5, which holds just as much fascination for me, and pride of ownership, as that little Color Classic that sleeps nestled in its original box in the basement. The G5 runs Panther, of course - this OS is a powerhouse. Not perfect yet, but still more than good enough for me. Panther is so refreshing to use after a WinXP day at work.

Happy Birthday Apple, and long live the Macintosh! You've come a long way, baby, and the best is yet to come...

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Funny. First Avenue was where I bought my first brand-new Mac, a Centris 660 AV... I bought a second-hand Mac Plus from the student newspaper I used to work for, so the Centris was a major leg up. A university friend used to be in sales at First Avenue and he's the guy who sold me the Centris. Another old university pal is a service tech there nowadays.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts