Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From U2's web site:

'Hands up anyone who owns a Zune...'

Edge was at the GQ Awards in London earlier this week, honouring Jonathan Ive the designer of the iPod.

'Okay! Hands up anyone who owns a Zune?’. A solitary arm was raised in reponse to Edge's question at London’s Royal Opera House. 'Who owns an iPod?' Surprise - almost every arm in the room shot up, which was Edge's cue to celebrate the achievements of his good friend Jonny Ive,

'The iPod is such an integral part of our lives that it's hard to believe there was a time when it didn't exist. But there was. Remarkably, someone went to work one day, stared at a blank piece of paper, and dreamed up this beautiful, clever, desirable piece of kit. GQ's Product Designer of the Year is the creator of the iPod, the iPhone, and quite simply everything we know and love about Apple. He brings beautiful objects to the masses, he is the truly gifted Jonathan Ive.'

Edge was joined at the event by Paul McGuinness and Kathy; also presenting awards were Helena Christensen, Madonna and Naomi Campbell - to recipients such as Kanye West, Paul McCartney and the Kaiser Chiefs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Digital music has destroyed audio fidelity, but at least it has achieved tremendous convenience, affordability, and practicality.

BTW, why would any reasonable person buy a Zune over any iPod, iRiver, Cowan, or Samsung player that is similarly priced? I don't understand :confused:

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Digital music has destroyed audio fidelity, but at least it has achieved tremendous convenience, affordability, and practicality.
:clap:
But that's not the point about "music" now - it's background music.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This would mean more if the Edge and U2 weren't clearly benefiting financially so much from their 'support' of Apple and iPods. Of course iPods are a million times better than Zunes, but it's not exactly an objective testimonial.

-------

As an aside, the thread title is amusing: "Hands up!" evokes a robbery image (as well as an admission of ownership). No one is ever going to hear, though, "Hands up! Hand over that Zune!"
Who ordered the poo-poo platter? :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
BTW, why would any reasonable person buy a Zune over any iPod, iRiver, Cowan, or Samsung player that is similarly priced? I don't understand :confused:
The Zune from what I've heard is not a half bad device, it's also a Toshiba device in disguise. For first time entry, it's not bad, especially considering the junk that's out there. I wouldn't buy a Zune, but he could have also easily picked another MP3 player with low market penetration and gotten similar results.

·
tilting at windmills
3,671 Posts
Is the Zune even available in Canada? Every week I receive flyers from BB, FS, The Source etc., they all feature various music payers including iPods, but never have I seen a Zune in them even once.

I am not the type to walk into one of these stores unless I am actually buying something, so I do not know if they are on the shelves and just not in the flyer for some reason.

Cheers

·
Registered
465 Posts
I scan all of the tech sore adverts each week and have never seen a Zune advertised in any paper flyer ect.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is the Zune even available in Canada? Every week I receive flyers from BB, FS, The Source etc., they all feature various music payers including iPods, but never have I seen a Zune in them even once.

I am not the type to walk into one of these stores unless I am actually buying something, so I do not know if they are on the shelves and just not in the flyer for some reason.

Cheers
The Zune is not available in Canada, no one knows for sure why, it's all rumors.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,154 Posts
Pity the poor lonely sod in Canada who drove down to Seattle, bought a Zune, activated their wifi and is still waiting to find anyone on the "Social".

Perhaps they aren't selling it here because Canadians can spot a piece of garbage? Microsoft has its good points (the 360) but they screwed up royally by squelching PlaysForSure and releasing a player that was not significantly better than its contemporaries. What message did that send to their commercial partners and potential customers? No doubt Zune 2.0 will be better, but Apple, Sandisk, Creative and even Sony have upped the ante significantly. It's just that Microsoft cannot cede this market. My guess is that only when MS has an iPhone clone that's a hybrid of Windows Mobile and a compelling piece of hardware will there be any chance of a significant impact for MS in handhelds. By that time, Apple will likely have brought out the busiPhone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.