1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Halo for Mac and it's causing pain for several reasons:

• won't run on my 466MHZ Digital Audio
• runs dreadfully slow on my iBook 800MHZ G4
• I find the campaign on the RingWorld of Halo where I have to find survivors from the ship a tad tedious due to poor game play and lack of compass support

So. If I am to continue to play this great game I must...

• upgrade my Digital Audio's video card and processor
• forget game play on the iBook unless I invest in more RAM (I think). The iBook has only 256MG compared to the 512MG in the D/A
• join a Halo chat or something

How are the rest of the Halo-addicts hanging in? What machine are you using? I...er....have a new 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 17" iMac at school...um...that I could use for a gaming machine...er....after work...er..sometime.

Ahem.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
466 MHz G4... the minimum requirements are a G4 at 800 MHz. Playing the game under the minimum requirements and the game not performing well, or at all, really shouldn't be questioned. It's pretty obvious why it won't run.

Simple Answer: It won't run on your 466 MHz because it's far too slow.

Complicated Solution: Get a dual-1 GHz (2 MB L3) upgrade card and ATI Radeon 8500 w/64 MB DDR or the nVidia Geforce Ti w/128 MB DDR (recommended). ($1100 + worth of upgrades)

As for your iBook, it's a G3. That's one of the reasons. Second reason is because it has slower RAM, slower bus and only 32 MB of graphics memory. And, just on the borderline of the system requirements - 800 MHz processor. Upgrading the RAM in your iBook won't make a difference in performance of Halo - and if it does, it'll give you 2 more frames per second, if that. Save your money there.

Simple Solution: Get the above upgrades or buy a brand-new G4/1.25 GHz (dual) with the nVidia 128 MB DDR graphics card, or a new Power Mac G5 with the Radeon 9600/9800 Pro.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Lars - You aren't reading everything. iLabmAn said, he has the iBook G4. ;)

However you are on the right track, in that in order to get the DA G4 playing Halo well will entail some upgrades (CPU, Video card mostly).

Although that 17" iMac should work just fine for you iLabmAn as it it's specs are higher then everything you have at home. It should run decently on it so long as you don't want all the eye candy. That said, the iBook should be able to play Halo alright with more RAM, but be sure to set your resolution as it takes a big performance hit at smaller resolutions, compared to the higher resolution of 1024x768.

Besides, if you do up the RAM on the iBook, it'll make using much faster too!

And as for that Halo level, its a little tedious but not too bad. The only really bad level is the Library level. It's just so long and kind of rehashed. Other then that its a stellar game, but the best part is Multiplayer. (16 player XBox Halo LAN games are still common.)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I finished it today on a 1Ghz eMac/ I Gig Ram/ ATI radeon 32.
Fairly fluid on default settings. I enjoyed it, but did find some levels tedious. Not a very hard game, and I say that only because I am a notorious cheater and love GOD mode.(Only because I suck at these and get killed very quickly). There are no cheats for Halo and I played in in Normal mode and actually finished it. So, does that make it easy?
The end was great though.
There seems to be a bug. When you grab health or get shot by those flying laser thingies, it all goes black for two seconds. A real drag, when you are running away or driving to a destination.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I Finished this on the Hardest setting, and found that saving regularly you can get through it, although some levels are a lot harder than others. The final sequence has an extra corny cutscene if you finish it on the hardest level.

This game gets better as it goes, some of the levels after the flood is released can be quite hard because the amount of enemies is pretty insane.

I love the way you can Hijack your enemies vehicles.

I played this on a dual 2ghz G5 with 512MB of RAM without a hitch (didn't experience any black screen when getting shot or grabbing health) but it ran better after I updated to 10.3.2 because of the newer ATI drivers.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Well... after 24 hours of purchasing Halo, I finished it. Played it at the normal difficulty -- which seems just a wee tad easier than I expected.

Good gameplay, good story (definitly influenced from every great sci-fi movie from Alien to Predator to Thing).

One thing that kind of bored me was the "middle" portion of the game -- where you travel through the various temples (or whatever) and meet up with the same aliens... they really needed some diversity there.

The only thing I'm disappointed with Halo is the internet play -- It's incredibly frustrating at times how the network connection can be lost even on some of the fastest servers. Sometimes lag really produces unexpected results -- Medal of Honor definitly shines in this area, comparitively speaking. There doesn't seem to be many Halo games being run on the net... (at least 1/3 of any other I've played) which is suprising to me, in a way, since it's been such a coveted game for so long.

Of course, I just love the abliity to grab a vehicle and wreak total carnage on your opponent.
Nothing's better than grabbing a Warthog with two cohorts and going on a hunt. :D

Maybe we should get a game set up some night? Yes?

P.S. Ran it on an 800 mhz G4 with 768 megs of ram, GeForce MX @ 32 megs, OS X.3 at 640x480 with all the bells and whistles at the lowest quality/setting (or off altogether). I believe I was averaging 15fps at the lowest; Net play has yeilded between 15-30 fps (just guessing, of course).

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
MannyP - One of the reasons is that the PC version of Halo is at 1.0.3 and the Mac version is 1.0.2. The two aren't compatable with each other and the PC version was updated just about the time Halo for Mac shipped. Needless to say everyone involved with the Halo for Mac project was a tad ticked off. (Consumers and developers). When the 1.0.3 patch comes out for Mac, you'll see a lot more servers as you will be able to connect to the PC version too.

Just be careful Manny, a single rocket > Warthog. Especially if you know how to fire them

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Ah yes, Chealion, but if ye be a decent driver, thou hast the ability to dodge — or use the terrain to ye advantage... or something.

Me, personally, I find the Banshee to be cool and fun to take out for a spin, but at times are hard to keep from getting shot out of the sky. :D

The tank is cool, especially when you have an entourage of 6 marines riding shotgun.
I wonder if there will ever be expansion packs or Mods in Halo's future, a la Marathon?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts