·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
LOL

Hmmmmm! I should bid! :D

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
look how many AAAA+++ ratings he got in his feedback thingy. he must be a really great guy to deal with!!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what I liked about this auction was the last auctions were like back in March so you can't check them out (most likely $2 dollar items!) and yeah the feedback is of concern...but really are there people out there that would bid on that? I would hope not
but thats why ebay is a complete last resort for me now...either buying or selling..plus I like the idea of keeping it in Canada
and the last reason I like this list..is I never buy new..well underwear I do
but any money that does not go to the Gov't is better in my pocket! cheers all...Mark

·
Registered
762 Posts
WOW!!!! $20,000.00 Can (not including tax) G5 for only $6500 US, what a deal
:rolleyes:

Will they ever learn!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I noticed lately that all the Sellers with high end equipment for sale haven't done business since March of this year. So what ever they've Sold/bought no longer shows up, so we can never know if it was a $.05 or $5000 deal.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The Dual 2Ghz aren't even really shipping yet, and this guy has a souped up one for dirt cheap? And the preapproved bidders thing should tip you off. Why do people create an account in 1999? Wait 4 years just to pull of a one-time scam that most likely won't work?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
According to one of the feedback comments, "this guy's" name is Patty. No idea as to how true that is, it could be just part of the scam.

I'm curious to see when the other G5 systems will show up; after all if $15K is good then $30 or $45 is better.

Oops, I spoke too soon. Theres another G5 system that was listed the next morning. Check it out, it's a terrible cut-and-paste job right from Apple's site. G5 1.6

You gotta love the "free shipping"; it sure beats knowing how eBay works.

You don't have to do much of this kind of work to make a nice living, so I'm not particularly suprised with the trinket sales (all purchases, no selling by "Patty" till now) and the patience this person has. But, there are other possibilities...

How's this for a scenario: Crook gets a computer, logs on, and finds the HD intact and the cookies all set to log in automatically. Somewhere he clues in to whatever password eBay wants to hear from data already scattered (or perhaps hidden in plain sight) on the HD and just runs with the trinket trader's good karma all the way to scamland.

Oh, wait, there it is! The Microsoft Passport button on eBay's login page, which gives you one-click login and password, without knowing a thing about those pesky details. Isn't that nice and convenient for old Patty, now. Thank you Microsoft, Thank you Bill, and Thank you Lord.

I just hope it's not her grandson or the something like that.

As a final note, I suppose he wasn't getting the bids he wanted, because he changed the minimum bid price for the dual G5 twice and for the single G5 once.

[ September 18, 2003, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well what blows me away is no answer from Patty or this person...I emailed with a 2 question...no response...the whole thing seems fishy...both auctions..epecially the second one!..cut and paste is awful! and Apple has been sold out for months now :rofl yes they had a a lot of pre-orders...but it's not like they had them sitting in a warehouse either! oh well best of luck to the chap...hope ebay takes some responsibility in auctions like this...the unfortunate thing is the buyer always gets the short end of the stick..losing his hard earned mula..and ebay and the scummy scam people get the benefit in the end...I think ebay actually promotes fraud..if you look over thier forums..look at all the people who have been ripped off..and what ebay is doing about it....NUTTIN.. :(

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
..if you look over thier forums..look at all the people who have been ripped off..and what ebay is doing about it....NUTTIN..
To be honest, I don't think eBay has the people, security, resoures, and time to monitor 300 million auctions a day. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The eBay.ca community relations person was on our local talk radio station about 2 weeks back, and they said exactly what Lars has just said. They don't have enough people, but they are trying their hardest as they are opening a facility in Vancouver where they will hire a large amount of people (I don't remember the number, but it was between 100 and 1000), whose sole job is to scan auctions, answer email and try to stop the scams. And this is only for eBay.ca, eBay.com has offices scattered around the United States with people who do the same thing.

·
Registered
762 Posts
That G5 dually that eBay guy was selling with the BUY NOW price of $6500 US is actually $13,830.90 US through Apple, not including taxes.
How this guy got a G5 for under $6500 is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I asked the seller a question two days ago, for laughs, and finally got a response, here it is:

"Hi,

I'm sorry for delay but I had problems with my internet provider. I'm glad now and ready to discuss with you.

I have a serious buyer for this Apple Power Mac and I can't put you on the pre-approved bidder list. If you are still interested I have another Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz new and sealed too with all the accessories listed. I will sell the desktop to you directly for $2200 US, final price with shipping and insurance included. It will come with one year US warranty.

I'm in Europe, Romania right now. I own a bussiness here. As a payment method I prefer Western Union because is very fast. I have a Paypal account but is in US and I have to wait several days for the money to arrive here.

If you're interested please reply ASAP.

I'll be online."

Ahh, Western Union. The tell tale sign of a scam. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts