Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm here to report my first bad experience with Jaguar. I was awake until 4 am this morning reinstalling and resetting prefs in Jaguar for absolutely no good reason.

What happened you ask? Nothing! I didn't screw with any settings, didn't install anything. Hell, I've barely been on my computer this week with being at work all the time.

I started noticing the computer getting a little quirky about a week ago. One time I restarted and got, believe at or not, just a blue screen! This is not happening to me, I thought. My mac has been possessed by Bill Gates! Then it restared okay. Then just little things like jerkiness with folders opening. Things getting really slow in some cases. Weird stuff. I figured, I probably just need to defrag the drive... I'll get to it on the weekend. Then yesterday, the final straw. The top right of the menu bar, including my iChat, monitor, sound and clock displays, start blinking! Non-stop. There was no responce with the mouse up there. Then programs, only certain ones, wouldn't launch. Watson would bounce in the dock then jst disappear, same with iChat.

So I tried restarting several times. Ran fsck, disk appears okay. Ran a prebinder, no change. Ran disk utility from OSX disk. Disk is fine. Repaired permissions. Still no luck. Finally I resorted to Norton's. Ran Disk Doctor and make common repairs to the b-tree, and bad mod dates etc., but othing out of the ordinary. Then I ran Speed Disk and defragged, it was only light but it still takes forever on a 40 GB drive! So then I think, "Okay, that's got to do it, time to restart." Same freakin' problem. That was pretty much when I lost it and figured it was time to reinstall Jag. I even figured if something went wrong on install and I had to reformat and lose all my stuff, at least I wouldn't let the computer beat me.

So I Archived and Installed from OSX Install Options, which I should have done in the first place back in September. I notice now, when looking through some directories, that not all files are in the same places as before. It seems when I did an upgrade to OSX it used existing directories for some stuff and new ones for others. But now, that I've archived and installed and it has rewritten all the directories I notice a lot of changes. Which also makes it difficult, I might add, to replace some pref files form the archived system. Nothing major though.

So the good news is I now have my computer bak to normal. Maybe even somewhat improved for the better. All of my apps now launch, well except for FAXstf X, which I will have to reinstall due to some pref problems from the reinstall of Jag. And my menu bar has stopped winking at me.

So I hope you've enjoyed my tale of woe. I hope you don't have the same frustrations as me and all goes well with you and OSX. If anyone has any comments or suggestions of what I could have tried in hindsight, or wish to share similar experiences I'd love to hear them.

Ciao,
Macman.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Hell, I've barely been on my computer this week with being at work all the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there is your problem right there. You were neglecting your Mac...and it punished you.

The moral of the story...never neglect your Mac...or it will crash on you...and go through your underwear and sock drawers while you are out.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I know it's too late know, but since everything is governed by preferences, have you tried just tossing ~/Library/Preferences and /Library/Preferences (or just renaming them) and let it make new ones.

Anyway, I feel for you, reinstalling sucks. I just had to do it because my iBook disk was partitioned, but my OS X partition had filled up.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had a similar experience with the blue screen.

I re-installed as well, however I have found the "Archive and Install" relatively painless. I did not have to re-install any apps or re-enter any serial numbers. My Mail and Address Book were fine. Surprisingly enough even FontReserve was okay! The only things I needed to re-install was Fruit MenuX, WindowShadeX and DefaultFolder X.

I found this to be far easier than any similar experience under OS 9.

Just a thought... are you absolutely sure that your RAM is okay? Bad RAM lead up to my problems.

Best of Luck.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts