Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Over at Ebay.ca some guy posted in the community boards that his Mac OSX system with the firewall on was hacked and all his ID and passwords were stollen. His Ebay account was taken over. He also mentions that someone sent him a virus that sends keystrokes back to the person who sent the virus.

This truly scares me as it seems that we are extremely vulnurable if the above is true. If we are running Jaguar with the built in firewall on, is it likely that it is so easy for someone to hack into our systems? What type of virus's are out there for Mac OS X that would steal keystrokes?

Also the guy goes on to say that he used Limewire and Kazaa?

I don't understand how our OS can be so vulnurable when we are told otherwise? What can we do if a firewall doesn't even protect us?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I seriously doubt it. If his eBay ID was stolen, I wonder if he fell victim to the eBay fraud email and was blaming it on "hackers"

If he had a firewall, then nothing gets through. I don't know of any firewall hacks. If someone did indeed get into his machine, then he did not have his firewall set up properly and he gave up his password (or it was guessed).

Do you have a link (or copy) of his post? It'd be interesting to read what he thinks happened.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you take the time to read all the postings, towards the end the culprits are narrowed down to PTP file transfer programs such as Kazaa and/or Limewire. Someone did mention they were sure he was only using them for the transfer of "family photos" though *grin* What goes around comes around IMHO.............. :D :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Though I can't quite put my finger on it, the exact phrasing this person used makes me somewhat suspect. Something about it just doesn't seem quite right...

Cheers,
Podboy

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha well if it has everything to do with Kazaa and Limewire then most of us are safe unless you use those services.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.