ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had thought that Rogers would unlock my iPhone 4, 9 months left of the subsidy, when I started to use my new iPhone 5 to complete my contract. However, they are now saying that I'd have to pay off the subsidy or wait 9 months before I can unlock the iPhone 4 even though I'd be continuing to pay off the subsidy by continuing with my contract with them on the new iPhone 5.

If they won't unlock it, are there places that can do so for me? Are there any other options other than jailbreaking it to unlock it? I'd like to give it to my partner to use and unfortunately he is with Telus.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Wait the 9 months. An unofficial unlock will re-lock when the iOS is updated or the phone restored, etc. The official Rogers unlock keeps it unlocked properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cancel !!!

I had thought that Rogers would unlock my iPhone 4, 9 months left of the subsidy, when I started to use my new iPhone 5 to complete my contract. However, they are now saying that I'd have to pay off the subsidy or wait 9 months before I can unlock the iPhone 4 even though I'd be continuing to pay off the subsidy by continuing with my contract with them on the new iPhone 5.

If they won't unlock it, are there places that can do so for me? Are there any other options other than jailbreaking it to unlock it? I'd like to give it to my partner to use and unfortunately he is with Telus.
Cancel RoBBers and go to Telus, they have much better policy !
I'm in the same situation

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is one of the reasons I just purchased an unlocked iPhone 5 so I can eventually have the option to switch.

·
Registered
853 Posts
One option, can't promise it will work, is to get a Rogers pay as you go account. Don't load it up with any money but stick the SIM in and give them a call under a new pay as you go number and ask if they can unlock it. Advise them that the iPhone has been active with Rogers (under a previous user) for more than 30 days. They will check the IMEI number and advise you. They may actually say yes since it is being used on an account without a subsidy. If they say we then have them load the account up with $60 and get it unlocked and never use the pay as you go account again.

You could also try with a friend's Rogers account/SIM if you know anybody. Might get around the subsidy issue, but may not. It's worked for me for used iPhones that I've unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So there are unofficial unlocking services in Toronto? Has any one used any of these services before?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not in TO...but here in Hamilton, yes, they all advertise on Kijiji, and you can literally walk in, hand your iPhone over and they'll unlock it, jailbreak it...etc etc etc....all for fee. My own was bricked via a US carrier - had the guy restore it brand new, rebuild it from my iTunes backups, jailbreak it and it cost me $45. Love Cydia and some of the great themes too...

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts