Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm whats the best way to prepare steaks that were frozen? Obviously as steaks defrost, some of the juices/blood leave it so I'm guessing it wont be as tasty or soft.

I usually grill my steaks on a stove top on a cast iron pan (about 4min per side on a normal sized steak) and it works well but I've never dealt with a frozen one. Any tips? :)

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
If I have a frozen steak, I'll defrost it just enough so you can sort of bend it around but it's still frozen, and throw it onto a hot grill a couple of minutes each side... that is if you like a rare steak.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
If you're in a hurry, defrost it in some water (not hot). If you are into marinades, then buy some Italian salad dressing and pour that over top of the steak. An old family secret recipe that will leave your steaks tender.

Personally I use a Texas dry rub (paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, cumin, and garlic powder) rub it on the steak before grilling. You want to enhance the flavour of the meat, not disguise it.

When grilling remember the finger technique for checking for doneness. Take your thumb and place it on your index finger. Feel the muscle below your thumb. That's rare. Next place your thumb on your middle finger. Thats medium rare. Next is well done and your pinky in burnt.

BTW, a cast iron pan is frying. Not grilling. Grilling is with propane or charcoal and BBQ is with wood and smoke. ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
good advise, but if possible, use a microwave for defrosting other than running water, unless the steak is still in a cryo-pack

If you're in a hurry, defrost it in some water (not hot). If you are into marinades, then buy some Italian salad dressing and pour that over top of the steak. An old family secret recipe that will leave your steaks tender.

Personally I use a Texas dry rub (paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, cumin, and garlic powder) rub it on the steak before grilling. You want to enhance the flavour of the meat, not disguise it.

When grilling remember the finger technique for checking for doneness. Take your thumb and place it on your index finger. Feel the muscle below your thumb. That's rare. Next place your thumb on your middle finger. Thats medium rare. Next is well done and your pinky in burnt.

BTW, a cast iron pan is frying. Not grilling. Grilling is with propane or charcoal and BBQ is with wood and smoke. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Max :) I've tried the italian dressing as my friend told me about that a while back. Seems to work well. I'm going to try that montreal spice thing and next time what you suggested.

PS. I guess you're right about the frying vs grilling. I thought it was called grilling if you didnt add any oil (I use essentially a dry pan).

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
good advise, but if possible, use a microwave for defrosting other than running water, unless the steak is still in a cryo-pack
It would take forever to defrost under running water and your arms would get tired ;)

I meant putting the steak in a freezer bag and place in a pan or bowl with water.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
I've mentioned to numerous people to pick up Weber's Big Book of Grilling. Tons of useful tips and recipes. I have yet to find a bad recipe in this book. Essentially it is my bible for grilling.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
My trick for defrosting steaks is to stick them in a good zip lock bag (the kind with a slider - they are more dependable leakwise) then I pour steak sauce right into the bag, squeeze out any air and seal. As the steaks start to thaw you can manipulate them by hand to accelerate the process and to get the sauce all over.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Electric grills like the Foreman grill work quite well. If the steak is high quality, you'll get a tender and juicy meal from the freezer to your plate in under 15 minutes. If the steak is not high quality, you'll just get a meal. ;)

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
If you like marinating steaks before grilling or throwing them on the barbecue, try President's Choice "Zesty Thai" salad dressing (contains ****** lime, ginger, lemon grass). Marinate for three or four hours. Way, way good. Way good. :)

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Perhaps I should have added Salad dressing of your choice. The vinegar breaks down the fibers of the meat and leaves it very tender. Obviously the longer the better.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey thats a really smart idea :) I like it!

My trick for defrosting steaks is to stick them in a good zip lock bag (the kind with a slider - they are more dependable leakwise) then I pour steak sauce right into the bag, squeeze out any air and seal. As the steaks start to thaw you can manipulate them by hand to accelerate the process and to get the sauce all over.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
<shudders>

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Hey thats a really smart idea :) I like it!
I discovered this trick when I was short of sauce/marinade one day. You need very little sauce to get the job done with this method. Using it as a defrost technique came later. I like Diana's stuff. the salad dressing tip mentioned above should also work well with this method..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts