Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Pardon my ignorance Rick, but after reading your review, I STILL have no idea what this gadget is supposed to do for me. I guess I just can't read between the lines.

What is it and why would I replace my mouse with it?

I'm very comfortable with my Apple Pro mouse and all the related controls available to me when used in conjunction with key combinations. Does this unit have a place in my day to day usage?

Thanks!

BTW, with much embarrassment, I must admit this was the first time visiting your site. I like it and will be visiting on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's really hard to explain this device without actually using it.. it acts as a type of scroll wheel slash controller.

AS an example, in Quciktime, you could use it to scroll thru a movie and have the click setting to turn off and on the video, while the click and rotate changes the volume.

I use mine for mainly scrollint webpages. Instead of using a cumbersome mouse with the scroll wheel, I have my pro mouse on one side, and the PowerMate to scroll down thru the pages, and the click to bookmark the page. I don't use the rotate and click function that much, and the long click is set to open a new windows. So instead of using the arrow keys, and the combinations, I just click the powermate. Also, for Mail.app, have you checked out the combination to check mail, well, I have that programmed right into the PowerMate.

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. If you need more info, feel free...

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Thanks! Now I'm getting the gist of it. Sounds like a handy input device that would improve surfing enjoyment - something I spend admittedly too much time doing. I'll bet this thing would look good mated to my "sorta" new DP867 & Studio Display at the office - everything metallic. Haven't bought a "toy" in a while - might be time to shop!

Cheers back at ya! :D

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a few people pick them up, and I always say that I could not live without my PowerMate, but then again, it's a personal choice.

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. More reviews for the mac community coming, if you'd like to see something, feel free to PM me.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Excellent review RTC... Even if you didn't use the PowerMate for anything at all, it just looks so $*#$ cool!

Interesting tidbit for you. The folks who made PowerMate had a whole bunch go out the door that for some strange reason, would work while the computer was in sleep mode (Its supposed to pulsate even when in sleep mode)

They do cover it under warranty and will replace it. Just FYI. ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
any idea where the best place to pick one up in canada is? I see them selling from Griffin for $39US ($59CAN) but I'd prefer to pick one up "locally".

(If any of you know where Bellingham is...it's just south of the border from Vancouver....here's a nice little story. Someone was shopping down there from Canada and when they got back to their car in the parking lot there was a note on the windshield. The note said, "you're not welcome here...go back to your own country". I think that says it all)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is insane about the Canadian in the US.. but I guess everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, some hick down there thinks that Canada is not important to the US.

Pamela, as for the PowerMate, I wil look into it..

RtC

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
London Drugs sells them in BC, AB, and SK for 75$, . You can also get them at Simply Computing and WestWorld (I think) but they are 79 or 85 depending.

LD has the best price in Vancouver that I have seen.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
You "sold" me, Rick. Ordered today - will receive tomorrow. Looking forward to trying this little beauty. My retailer is also interested in it's abilities.

Thanks again for all your input!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
this sounds hot as hell. I like this alot - AND it looks kinda slick. I'll keep my eyes peeled for this.

So if I get this right, this is nothing that is suppoed to slide around, no? Does it actually replace the mouse?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, there are no optics underneath it to replace the mouse.. it's a huge scroll wheel/ controller...

It's really hard to explain it, I tried to get it across, but you really have to try one and see it in action..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I cannot believe you guys are just finding the PowerMate!

I have had one for awhile and WestWorld has been carrying them for awhile (And will match $74). It is a great little device
I use it to open and close finder windows, control volume in iTunes, scroll on webpages, and mostly use it for FCP work to scrub back and forth in the timeline (Can be set in any video application). Since my roommate uses FCP more than I do myself, he has the click, hold click and click rotate set for a few FCP funtions, not too sure what!!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Can you use it to control zooming the screen via the Universal Access Zoom shortcuts? That would be kinda cool.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've never used it, but it must use a key combination to do that. Send me the key combination and I will try it for the fun of it.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
To toggle-activate the "ZOOM" function, it is command-option-asterix (shift 8 or the * on the numkey pad)

Then from there:
Zooming in is command-option-plussign (shift = or the + on the numkeypad)

Zooming out is command-option-minussign.

Presumably, you could set the "click" function to activate and deactivate the zoom function and the left-right rotation could be keyed to the zoom in and out...

BTW: Good job on the article, RtC.

Now I want one too!

:cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Five star review (as usual) RtC. I like the way you managed to introduce Safari and Keynote into the review of a USB device. Some people seem to have trouble understanding the utility of the device (although your letter replies have clarified things). I'd describe it as simply a HiFi knob that provides precision in a dimension not served well by a mouse.

I've thought about getting one but do you think it would "go well" with the aluminum powerbooks (I think its brushed rather than anodised)? I think there is also a special edition PowerMate thats black.

Very cool. Very smooth.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wanted to pick up one of those Black PowerMate but they were in limited supply. But I would love to see them back again. I know that the colour of the AL is a bit different in the two cases. But, I have yet to see a new Al book up close.

Keep your eyes peeled on EN, more reviews to come...

Cheers,

RtC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.