Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a tech conference here in Montreal. There are nearly 1000 participants here, most of whom are carrying around a laptop. I am writing this on the 4th floor of the Sheraton Hotel, and there are 17 people sitting around with wireless connections for their laptop (including yours truly, using my wife's Dell Inspiron). Of the 16 people sitting around me, 12 have iBooks or PowerBooks. This has been the situation yesterday, and unless there is a sudden influx or outflow of Wintel PC users, I assume that this shall be the case until the conference ends on Saturday. These are all high tech academics, business and government professionals, with a scattering of non-profit agencies thrown in to the mix. And most of thems are carrying around Mac laptops. I even stopped in to BMac, which is not the easiest place to find over St.James Church, but it was worth the visit. I suggested to a few people from the US to go there for their Mac products, since the US dollar is stronger than the Canadian loonie, and they can request their tax to be refunded. I hope this helps the fine folks at BMac, who were quite kind to me, and even knew where Newfoundland was located (which was not the case with the Apple Canada folks). Paix to all.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
BMac is a small chain of Mac retail stores based out of montreal. They have three stores in Montreal and a newer outlet in Ottawa. Cool store...they also sell art supplies.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome to Montreal!

Have a great time. If you need any restaurant/club/lounge/bar recommendations, let me know.

Cheers.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, an iMac in January and an iBook when I return will be in order when I return to St. John's.

For all of the kind folks who have written or phoned the hotel (merci Ms.C) wishing me well, I thank you. Life is hectic here, since I still have to teach online, as well as attend sessions and present on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hey Dr. G.!

Montreal is a fabulous city... the only other city in Toronto in which I'd like to live (not having seen MacNutt's Island yet...)

Which conference is it? Wouldn't be that World Community Net gathering?

hasta luego,
M.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CubaMark, it is the E Learn conference, which is part of the AACE (American Association for Computers in Education) North American conference series. It costs so much to travel from St. John's to anywhere, that whenever there is a conference east of TO, I try to attend.

My mother was born in Montreal, and it is my favorite Canadian city. I have a friend who lived in Montreal, and is now working in TO, driving in all the way today to see me. I have to turn down an offer of a coffee with Ms.C. in Dorval, so I guess my Dr.G. status will remain incognito for all in EhMacLand. C'est la vie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts