Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in rather urgent need to fill out some online forms with Immigration & Citizenship Canada.

They insist on using online PDFs with Adobe Reader, okay, no problem, but - the damn things don't work.

Don't work on Safari.

Went through the process of downloading & installing DC Reader again just to be sure, flushed cache, tried again -no-go.

Okay, must be a Safari glitch, as it occasionally doesn't play well with some websites.

Tried Chrome - no-go. Same problem. This error message:

(and note that the link provided is a 404 - Adobe has since restructured their website, and the GoC PDF error page hasn't been updated).

Anyone else have a solution / suggestion?

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The answer, from Adobe's Twitter account:

The Acrobat/Reader plug-in for Apple Safari is based on Netscape Plug-In API (NPAPI), which is supported only till Safari version 11. If you are using Safari version 12 or above, it will not work. Please refer to the following link for more details: https://t.co/fi8jO6ABuU?amp=1

The page in question just repeats what is stated in the tweet above.

So tell me, given that online PDFs are so ubiquitous in 2020, how these two billion-dollar companies can't just make the damn thing work? :mad:

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
Found FireFox was the answer but that was several years ago.

Even then I had problems with the security certificate. Would expect far worse now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yep, same prob. Use Safari as my primary browser. Not so popular on the playground.

This problem with CIC persisted with all browsers. If you need these forms, I suggest Googling the CIC PDF form name, e.g., Canada+"imm5444e"+PDF. Should get you to a d/lable form.

BTW, all studies indicate we should remain isolated into 2022. Honestly, folks, it's a small price to pay for protecting oneself & others. Maybe this will show the economy isn't really everything. Read a few books about the Spanish flue pandemic. Three full years, January 1918 to December 1920. One-third of the world's population was dead. Everyone lost somebody.

Now I don't go for this woo-woo about 'caring community', etc. But maybe govt could abolish our military, stop bailing out corporations & pipelines, empty the prisons, and give all that money directly to citizens. Any better ideas???

You want to assign blame? Try capitalism...

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
It may be an issue with the default pdf viewer settings. I was wondering about this myself, so I checked this on my own computer.

If I right click on a pdf file in the finder, I get a dropdown menu. The second item in the dropdown menu is "Open With". If I choose "Open With", I get another dropdown menu to select the application to use to open the file. There is a listing of applications to choose from, but the one at the top is Preview (default). This means that a pdf file will always open with Preview by default, unless you choose another option.

I'm guessing that pdf files are probably opening with Preview within your web browser, and Preview doesn't support the special commands that are needed. If that's true, then the solution might be to change the default pdf viewer to Adobe Reader. I'm not sure how to do that yet, but it's probably some finder preference setting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Where's the Like button for this post?

Yep, same prob. Use Safari as my primary browser. Not so popular on the playground.

This problem with CIC persisted with all browsers. If you need these forms, I suggest Googling the CIC PDF form name, e.g., Canada+"imm5444e"+PDF. Should get you to a d/lable form.

BTW, all studies indicate we should remain isolated into 2022. Honestly, folks, it's a small price to pay for protecting oneself & others. Maybe this will show the economy isn't really everything. Read a few books about the Spanish flue pandemic. Three full years, January 1918 to December 1920. One-third of the world's population was dead. Everyone lost somebody.

Now I don't go for this woo-woo about 'caring community', etc. But maybe govt could abolish our military, stop bailing out corporations & pipelines, empty the prisons, and give all that money directly to citizens. Any better ideas???

You want to assign blame? Try capitalism...[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
As a sidebar to all of this.

Was in Lethbridge the other day and noted that the Service Canada parking lot was unusually empty. Service Canada was locked up tighter than a drum due to Covid.

Keep in mind our national 7-day average death rate is down to 7/day, from a May 7th high of about 185, daily admissions to ICU are averaging fewer than 5/day, and hospitalizations are averaging just barely over 20/day.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We're hoping to get a form approved during Covid as they may not want to schedule an inconvenient interview. Lethbridge is a big town, amazing ServiceCanada was locked up!

I don't think the death rate is the worrying part, or even hospitalisation. It's the long-term health consequences no one wants to live with..

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
We're hoping to get a form approved during Covid as they may not want to schedule an inconvenient interview. Lethbridge is a big town, amazing ServiceCanada was locked up!

I don't think the death rate is the worrying part, or even hospitalisation. It's the long-term health consequences no one wants to live with..
Except in the few cases where it goes sideways, it is pretty much just a very mild common cold, so long term effects would apply almost exclusively to those who need hospitalization, and 20/day is a drop in the bucket compared to other causes. I would worry far more about the long term effects of a vaccine designed to alter a part of our DNA, and rushed to market with zero long term testing.

FWIW I actually heard the lamestream moaning about how it was taking those who developed pneumonia up to 5 weeks to fully recover. I know several people who have recovered from pneumonia pre-corona era. It always took them closer to 6 months and in two cases about a year to recover their stamina.

There is no longer any valid reason to keep SC closed except to inconvenience as many as possible. I am so grateful I got CPP and OAS set up before all this happened.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still peeved about this.

Our Pharmacy has an online system - very convenient, if a bit clunky - for refilling prescriptions, communicating with the pharmacist, and - what I need today - printing off the Patient Tax Receipt.

Of course, it uses Adobe PDF, which is fine, but it is inaccessible to me. I have no idea if it works for Windows users, but on my Mac it ain't happening - same problem as above with Gov't of Canada.

There is no option to right-click, save target as... - Clicking the button to "View Tax Receipt" pops up a dialogue that informs me that Adobe Reader is not installed (it is, but a noted above by Adobe, it's no longer supported on modern browsers).

Right-clicking that button only offers the option to search Google for the text in the button. Very helpful /sarcasm.

I don't see anything online about WHY all modern browsers no longer support inline PDFs. Anybody have a link to a technical explanation?

Sigh. I guess tomorrow I'm on the road to the pharmacy in the next city over so they can give me a physical printout. How last-century!

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is definitely a big flaw and maybe only for Macs. The only workaround, at least for govt forms is to search the form ID number or the full name of the form. The PDFs are often lodged elsewhere. This won't help your Patient Tax Info, though.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update - I went all methodical on things last night... turns out Chrome *will* download the PDF from the pharmacy site. There's enough of a delay between click and download that I impatiently thought it wasn't working.

So now I'm just miffed at Safari. I understand that there are (still) a lot of sites out there that seem to be built specifically for Internet Exploder v.6 and have never been updated (damn bureaucracies), but even given that, Safari seems to just choke on too damn many pages. I wont' stop using it... it's my favourite browser among the many, but it still bugs me....

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Safari seems to just choke on too damn many pages. I wont' stop using it... it's my favourite browser among the many, but it still bugs me....

I finally had to give up on Safari years and several MacOS Versions ago as it just didn't work with just too many webpages I wanted to view. Your time to abandon it may be coming sooner than you think.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
170 Posts
Agree. I love the Safari interface. But few sites in the PC world support it. Amazing, considering there's a Windoze version and so many are now using Macs, esp during WFH. And, as has happened with my five year old legacy MBP, Apple is still trying to shake the trillions out of us. Other browsers, and I've tried them all, just don't do it for me.

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
Unfortunately Mac does not support Safari back more than a year or so. For those of us still using real HDs that means Safari is essentially useless. Until we spend big bucks upgrading to more recent hardware, often at the expense of other software or peripherals no longer being supported.

Firefox has its flaws,especially the never ending updates, but has still become my browser of choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go to the Internet plug-ins folder in the top level Library folder, move the AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin out temporarily. Quit Safari and re-launch and see how the PDFs do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just had a thought here. Perhaps the version of Safari can be paired to the OS I'm running: 10.13.6. So which Safari v works best and where do I find one to install? TIA!

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go to the Internet plug-ins folder in the top level Library folder, move the AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin out temporarily. Quit Safari and re-launch and see how the PDFs do.
Thanks for the tip - unfortunately, no-go.

I'll take the Adobe guidance (noted above) that it just ain't gonna work....

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Just had a thought here. Perhaps the version of Safari can be paired to the OS I'm running: 10.13.6. So which Safari v works best and where do I find one to install? TIA!

That Is one of the main problems with Apple's Safari, it is only available with a Mac OS install and grabbing it from some other installation Version etc. doesn't seem to work properly, at least I could never get them to work.

And even Apple's Safari Help Page Says you can either update the installed version If the software update allows it or has an update available, or to do a Mac OS install:

Update or reinstall Safari for your computer
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204416

I just ended up switching over to Firefox, About when some things didn't work the way I wanted to I ended up using Google Chrome and it works great for me and especially with some of the Chrome extensions I use. Much better than Safari ever was, but then again, I only use the Mavericks version with the Mac OS Mavericks Version I'm using.

I just don't appreciate Apple removing so many features that I used from their later Mac OS versions.

- Patrick
======

1 - 20 of 21 Posts