Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty ticked off. Been trying to change my address online for my tax return. Caught in this loop of ePass security systems. Thought it was browser/cookie issues but finally realized it was a windows only issue.
Did the phone thing and then called the ePass people. Talked to some puppy who told me that it was security issue (told him that NASA uses Macs, don't go there) or a economy platform issue (told him that if it's windows then they're using many platform, dgt). He said he'd send the concern up the food chain.
The issue is that the ePass page says that the address security is the model for all future 'net security for gov't transactions. We're going to be left out - again.
Try it: http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/menu-e.html address change.
The ePass number is 1-866-372-7742.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was trying to register a new business for my father the other day and came across that same problem.

:rolleyes:

(I wish there was a little graemlin to illustrate kissing one's teeth)

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I'm not so sure that ePass is Windows only. If it's the system I'm thinking of (it wasn't called ePass at the time), I worked on it. I used to work for Entrust. Entrust designed the ePass system with the government using Entrust TruePass (for which I was the prime). TruePass has worked in the past, and to my knowledge still works, with IE on the Mac. Netscape is a no go, just because Netscape sucks. I'm not sure about Safari, but I'm pretty sure it won't work either, since it wasn't around when TruePass was developed.

So if it's the system I'm thinking about, IE for Mac should work just fine if you allow cookies, java, and javascript.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Nope, Safari and IE for mac do not work. You get sent around the block and back to the beginning. Wonder if that means Mac users don't have to pay taxes????

See:

epass browser versions and settings
BRS008 Supported operating systems and Web browsers:

* Microsoft Windows with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or higher
* Microsoft Windows with Netscape Communicator/Navigator 4.78 or higher

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Well, if I had time, or still worked at Entrust, I might have looked into it. But since I now hate high-tech, and I'm too darn busy, I guess I'll leave it up to the helpdesk people to give the public the run around.
Sorry. Now we know what VPC is for.

P.S. Future implementations of TruePass were designed for Sun Java 1.4.x (as opposed to the MS VM), so as soon as the government upgrades to a newer TruePass, Macs may work again. Unless it's their custom code messing things up.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
When trying IE in the browser test, I got this:

"Your browser meets the 128-bit security encryption requirement for CCRA Applications.
* Your cookie settings are functional.
* Your JavaScript settings are functional.
* AMS Test unsuccessful, OS, Browser and/or Browser Version are not supported "

I'll bet it will work fine if you change IE to send the Windows browser ID instead of the Mac one.

I would call them and complain first though. There should be no reason they can't support every browser that has 128-bit security and cookies.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hayesk wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I'll bet it will work fine if you change IE to send the Windows browser ID instead of the Mac one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How do you do that?
But, you're right, the more people try it and complain, the more likely it will get changed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts