Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I hope you enjoy your eMac as much as we are enjoying ours.

It is a great machine.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Hey Moonsocket....we could ALL use some typing lessons. Me included! Don't feel like the lone ranger on this subject.

Enjoy your new EMac! :cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Look for "broadband optimizer" on versiontracker.com. It will help some.

Unfortunatly, web speed will still lag compared to a pc. Maybe one day, it will be "fixed" properly. Oh well...

Lucky you, for the eMac! I'd love one of these...

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The one area that Macs do very much so lag behind Windows boxes is web surfing. Fear not though, it isn't because Macs are slow, it is because MS is cheating.

In Windows, Internet Explorer is written right into the kernel of the OS. Lord knows why they do this (monopolistic tendencies come to mind), because in addition to making the net fast, it leads to some instabilies in the OS.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I find that scrolling down pages on websites slow on macs. If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel you can use Icab which works well because it has very a high mouse scroll option. I find in MS 5.2 if you disable quartz smooting in interface extras it speeds up the browser a little.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I notice a significant difference in the web speeds between usin Netscape 7.0 and Explorer 5.2 Although I prefer Netscape (actually really like Omni) it is much slower than Explorer. Any particular reason for this? I find Omni crashes too often and will not allow me to do all the banking I want to do. Also, I have not been able to get Windows Media Player for mac to play clips from web sites, except if I use Explorer. Any comments or suggestions? :(

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:

In Windows, Internet Explorer is written right into the kernel of the OS. Lord knows why they do this (monopolistic tendencies come to mind), because in addition to making the net fast, it leads to some instabilies in the OS.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't make it fast, as Netscape is fast on Windows too.

Chimera is very fast on MacOS and rendering on most browsers isn't too bad, it's actually the scrolling that I find slow.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clockwork:
disable quartz smooting in interface extras it speeds up the browser a little.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I'm gonna try that.

It's not very sexy though .
:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts