Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure that this is the proper area to ask this but I have tried various forums and have not found an answer that has satisfied me.

I am using an iPhone 6.

I have done some extensive researching to decide which app is better. I am now totally perplexed!! I have tried both with great success and some disappointments. Each has their pros and cons. It seems to me, after research, that it is a personal preference.

Is that what it comes down to??

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
i use TOM TOM app and/or apple maps
i have tried waze but was not so impress.

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
I have done some extensive researching to decide which app is better. I am now totally perplexed!! I have tried both with great success and some disappointments. Each has their pros and cons. It seems to me, after research, that it is a personal preference.

As far as I know and for many years as well, most users I know try out different apps and then use the one they like and suits their use the best.

I don't know of anyone that relies on some review or someone else's opinion and probably a completely different set of circumstances and uses.

There's just too many variables. So just use the one that suits you best, or both, as one may have a feature that the other doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Personally don't have any problems with Apple Maps, to the point I don't see a need to have Google Maps installed.

That said, Waze is great for current conditions like accidents and road closures, but I found it to be a battery hog. And it's only as good as the community participating. In Ottawa, that isn't many people.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
There are so many local apps now for traffic info in major cities that it is not hard to know what is going on in any city you may reside, making Apple maps quite satisfactory.

When travelling however, one does not know the local app scene and I now use Garmin's portable, in-vehicle GPS to alert me to trouble in traffic and guide me through unfamiliar cities. No Apple device can match a satellite based GPS for travelling in areas where WIFI is not available and on highways between major centres, that is most places. Apple maps uses far too much data and becomes very expensive to use via cellular signals. A portable GPS unit serves me very well at little cost for the hardware with lifetime data and swaps easily between vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
There are so many local apps now for traffic info in major cities that it is not hard to know what is going on in any city you may reside, making Apple maps quite satisfactory.

When travelling however, one does not know the local app scene and I now use Garmin's portable, in-vehicle GPS to alert me to trouble in traffic and guide me through unfamiliar cities. No Apple device can match a satellite based GPS for travelling in areas where WIFI is not available and on highways between major centres, that is most places. Apple maps uses far too much data and becomes very expensive to use via cellular signals. A portable GPS unit serves me very well at little cost for the hardware with lifetime data and swaps easily between vehicles.
That actually reminds me... nice feature with Google Maps is you can download entire areas for offline viewing. I did that when travelling to Nova Scotia. Very little data consumed at that point apart from fetching traffic info.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
I am not sure that this is the proper area to ask this but I have tried various forums and have not found an answer that has satisfied me.

I am using an iPhone 6.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Google owns Waze now. Both apps use the same maps provider and the same routing algorithm. In fact, some of Google's traffic information now comes from Waze among other sources.

Therefore, purely as a mapping or routing app, either is satisfactory.

Waze, however has more trouble locating satellites than Google maps has. Google Maps is quite resilient that way.

Waze, like someone already mentioned, works best for regular commute routes because it depends on crowdsourced information that is most commonly available on commute routes. Otherwise you may as well use Google Maps.

And, depending own where you are in the world (or even in Canada itself), Apple Maps may or may not be the optimal solution. Google I have found is seriously amazing when it comes to taking you where you need to go.

I use Google Maps extensively, even when I am extremely familiar with the routes, because of the traffic information and instant automatic rerouting to the quickest route with no manual intervention.

I also use Waze occasionally, but prefer Google for the reasons mentioned above (and because I no longer have a commute - I am retired).

It also needs to be said that if you are anywhere other than the so-called developed countries, Apple Maps is utterly useless. Google works everywhere, even on walking trails and biking trails high in the mountains.

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply and explanation which seems very logical and more food for thought. I have always felt Google Maps had an edge but could not really 'put the nail on the head'. I know, like anything, it comes down to personal preference and comfort. There seemed to be something missing with Waze even though I liked many of its options. Google Maps was more thorough. One thing I did not like as I used it more was the social interaction, especially when driving as it was a distraction from driving and dangerous. It is too bad that Google Maps cannot integrate some of the Waze features to their app. That would be assume!

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Google owns Waze now. Both apps use the same maps provider and the same routing algorithm. In fact, some of Google's traffic information now comes from Waze among other sources.
True, however, there is a significant delay, and the information isn't always complete. The bonus information that gets reported in Waze gives it an edge (reported police locations and road conditions.) On the other hand, the extra data is only as good as the people reporting it.

For instance, gas prices; the interface is clunky, and often someone will report $0.99 as 999.0 because they ... I guess they don't know how to scroll the numbers properly :) If no one later comes along and corrects it, and you use waze to find cheap gas, you'll be missing a lot of potential locations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess that is one of the big flaws with Waze. It is very dependent on social media feedback to keep all info up-to-date. That goes for traffic, police, accidents, etc. I have found in many instances that info is old and not very helpful. Also, I have found that Waze will take an out of the way detour to avoid a traffic problem to maybe save a couple of minutes. Yet at other times it is dead on accurate. The only problem is knowing which change is right.
This is where I get a bit confused as to when he would be better as an all around app.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
I think that you should have both apps. Use Waze when you're already familiar with the route, and inside cities. Use Google for long-distance stuff.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts