ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Funny Fellow
430 Posts
HP and Canon are the best printers you can get IMHO....nothing like the crappy Lexmarks, Epson, Brother units.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What's your budget?
And what are you looking for in a printer?
Medium volume high quality, low volume high quality....
Paper size, duplexing, colour or B&W, ethernet or usb...?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Kodak printers claim to have the lowest cost per page to operate based on their advertising that they sell the cheapest cartridges for ink jet printers.

Anyone here have any experience with Kodak printers and their performance?

My HP and Canon printers have always been good, but the cost of cartridges is substantial.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's your budget?
And what are you looking for in a printer?
Medium volume high quality, low volume high quality....
Paper size, duplexing, colour or B&W, ethernet or usb...?
well in this case 50$ I like the printer I found just hope its good the guy said he will throw in a parrellel to ethernet adappter to make it networked because right now it only has parrelel

·
Registered
396 Posts
Glad to here that but I assume that means office quality price for toner and parts
Well you get what you pay for. Actually parts are probably cheaper and easier to get. Cheap printers are meant to be tossed out when they break while ones like this are meant to be fixed. Cartridges probably cost more but also good for a lot more printouts.

·
Wescoastie in exile
255 Posts
Kodak printers claim to have the lowest cost per page to operate based on their advertising that they sell the cheapest cartridges for ink jet printers.

My HP and Canon printers have always been good, but the cost of cartridges is substantial.
Have a Kodak Easyshare 5300 AIO... it has it's pros & cons.

Pros:
Cheap ink refills - $10 for black, $20 for the colour module (all six colours in one) or $26 for the bundle pack (both in one)

Great photo prints on Kodak photo paper

No connectivity issues, it's run under 10.4 up to 10.6 without a hitch otwitch for detection

Cons:
Print head failed twice in three years. In fairness to Kodak they replaced the head free of charge without complaint or argument both times, even after the warranty period was long over, so this could be in the pro column too, I out it under cons because it happened both times when I needed something printed and I had to wait days for the replacement to arrive, so it was a hassle.

No way to clear the "out of ink" error message to use the scanner. So if the ink runs out the scanner is useless until you replace it. I won't be buying another one unless they've fixed this issue in subsequent models. It's a ****-poor design flaw imho.

Since the colour ink is all in one module, running out of yellow means running out of everything (even if the other colours are still half-full). This is offset by cheap ink but it's still a waste.

Can only really use the Kodak formulated paper for photo printing, tried Fuji paper in it and got silver where whites should have been... actually that looked pretty cool as my snowscape looked like liquid Mercury... Kirkland brand worked ok, but just ok. Thankfully the Kodak paper is reasonably priced too.

Harder than normal to find ink refills, London Drugs in the West or Staples in the East were the most reliable I found.

All that said, if they've fixed the printhead issue and the scanner-disabling error message I would probably buy another, and while the refills are cheap I don't do enough printing that I could give a true estimation of the actual yield...

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Kodak

I had a Kodak ESP-3 printer. Yes the cartridges were dirt cheap, but I found that they didn't last long. Also I had to call Kodak support a few times and get a new print head mailed to me for free. The reason for the cheap cartridges is that they do not contain the print head in them, they have little foam pads on the bottom and click into the print head carrier mechanism. Also I don't think they had much ink in the cartridge. It was a noisy printer too! But for $99, plus new cartridges every 3/4 of a month... it was cheaper than many other printers. Decent quality (when the print head wasn't gummed up)

It was a casualty in splitting up with my ex lol!

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
I am looking at this printer on craigslist Hewlitt Packard Laserjet 4100 laser printer My office uses it but was wondering if anyone had anything to say about. the guy said it has about a third of its toner left.
If the machine is operable and is in decent shape this is a good price. Get the seller to print a multi-page document to make sure that it is still pulling from the printer trays well. I have a HP 5000 series and it doesn't pull the paper without jamming quite frequently any more.

Toner for this series is not very expensive.

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
I am looking at this printer on craigslist Hewlitt Packard Laserjet 4100 laser printer My office uses it but was wondering if anyone had anything to say about. the guy said it has about a third of its toner left.
HP laser printers are usually pretty good and you can find reasonable toner cartridges at HP Laserjet 4100 toner cartridges | 123InkCartridges.ca Canada (PS: they're Quebec based but would ship out of Burnaby and no HST!!!)

Maybe do a Google search on 'Hewlett Packard Laserjet 4100 laser printer' and check out the reviews and specs to make sure it will do what you want.
HP LaserJet 4100 Review - Laser Printers - CNET Reviews

PS: Mac OS 10.5.x and especially 10.6 includes the driver for the HP 4100, and as it's a 2001+ model, DON'T install any old included software that may be included with that printer. Use the Mac versions.

Edit: PPS: Cheap printing as well: "Classic LaserJets are economical; they get better toner mileage than new models and they run on toner that's cheaper to buy (see table below). Classic LaserJets are made to last, too, ..."
Black Toner for HP LaserJet, Cost Comparison

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
I had a Laserjet 2100 for years - great workhorse of a printer that finally up and died a couple of years ago. I've had a really nice Samsung since then - it's faster, does duplex printing etc.

Ask the seller to print out the test page that lists the number of pages printed. That will give you some idea of the amount of use this printer has received and whether it's likely to have problems sooner rather than later. The duty cycle listed for this printer is up to 150,000 pages per month, so it's definitely a workhorse!

Things like rollers do wear out - a roller replacement kit will run you more than what the seller is asking for the printer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a Laserjet 2100 for years - great workhorse of a printer that finally up and died a couple of years ago. I've had a really nice Samsung since then - it's faster, does duplex printing etc.

Ask the seller to print out the test page that lists the number of pages printed. That will give you some idea of the amount of use this printer has received and whether it's likely to have problems sooner rather than later. The duty cycle listed for this printer is up to 150,000 pages per month, so it's definitely a workhorse!

Things like rollers do wear out - a roller replacement kit will run you more than what the seller is asking for the printer.
Not if you buy from ebay

Maintenance Roller Kit for HP LaserJet 4100 13pcs NEW on eBay.ca (item 270692355622 end time 13-Apr-11 10:57:25 EDT) :yikes:

Probably won't last as long as the OEM stuff but that comes up for decent prices from time to time on there too.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
HP and Canon are the best printers you can get IMHO....nothing like the crappy Lexmarks, Epson, Brother units.
I have to disagree here, Brother has served me well for years. And the driver are top notch quality. I've found HP's drivers to be absolute garbage.

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
I have to disagree here, Brother has served me well for years. And the driver are top notch quality. I've found HP's drivers to be absolute garbage.
I'll definitely agree with your statement, especially regarding Brother printers and their Mac OS X support over the last few years, and the opposite experience is the HP "support" with some of their latest "Mac supported" products and their software, especially within a network and/or for any wireless printing setup is like a bad sick joke sent from Hell - and that's only IF one can even get to work when the Hell joke runs a bit thin.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
I'll definitely agree with your statement, especially regarding Brother printers and their Mac OS X support over the last few years, and the opposite experience is the HP "support" with some of their latest "Mac supported" products and their software, especially within a network and/or for any wireless printing setup is like a bad sick joke sent from Hell - and that's only IF one can even get to work when the Hell joke runs a bit thin.
How so? I have a HP 5000 Series LaserJet and a HP Photosmart Pro B9180... never had any issues of any kind. The HP 5000 runs over ethernet... piece of cake to set up... not quite sure what you guys are referring to as it hasn't been my experience at all.

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
I guess I should have been a bit more specific with my statement and stated with *wireless* AND *Mac OS 10.6.6*.

I have two older HP printers wired networked printers working properly, but the HP wireless printing refuses to work for a lady in their small networked office who switched to 10.6.6 and all that happens is "Connecting to printer... Network host 'xxx' is busy, will retry in 15 seconds... " and never any print jobs get printed and nothing spooled etc.

All HP and Apple suggestions have been tried. Yet it did all work with 10.5.8.

A Google search on 'Mac 10.6 HP wireless printing problem' shows that she is far from being the only one having HP wireless printing problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts