Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Apple’s Tim Cook assures employees that it is committed to the Mac and that ‘great desktops’ are coming

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/19/a...o-the-mac-and-that-great-desktops-are-coming/
The problem is what Apple thinks is great is not what the "pro" users think is great. New emojis is "great" for MacOS or a touchbar that is not practical for use on anything other then a laptop... and even then I don't see how it would change my life much for my uses, though I would conceded that if proven wrong.

Though I am happy at least to hear mention of desktops and still have a glimmer of hope that they will do something great!

·
Premium Member
15,667 Posts
It seems a bit odd to me that he'd be having to mention it to his own employees…"In a posting to an employee message board, CEO Tim Cook seems intent on putting that particular branch of discussion to bed."

One would tend to think that they would know what's going on, otherwise management has a pretty bad problem with communication — the demise of every product and/or company.

And I would agree…
The problem is what Apple thinks is great

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Apple just seems to be feeling to proud of themselves these days, feeling to high and mighty, the bright light in the world of darkness. Even their events and how they talk about their products has become annoying. Sure they changed technology and started the smart phone trend and tablet trend... or at least boosted it and brought it to where it is today. They have not done anything like that since the iPad and that was 2010 I believe.

"I think it’s that “change the world” attitude and boldness that’s deeply embedded in our culture, that “good isn’t good enough.” All of this is the fuel for everything else that we do. "

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Up-to-date interfaces (USB-C) and a more modern CPU, GPU and RAM is really all that is needed for an iMac update. They don't need to redesign it again for early 2017.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Up-to-date interfaces (USB-C) and a more modern CPU, GPU and RAM is really all that is needed for an iMac update. They don't need to redesign it again for early 2017.
I would like Apple to start thinking beyond what they are doing, not sure what that would entail, but they certainly have not been thinking different for a long time.

One change I would like to the iMac, outside of the ports and specs is a thinner bezel. As much as I like my 5K iMac, it just looks so dated now with the thick black bezel around the edges.

·
Premium Member
15,667 Posts
One change I would like to the iMac, outside of the ports and specs is a thinner bezel. As much as I like my 5K iMac, it just looks so dated now with the thick black bezel around the edges.

Good grief!!! Such an advance that would be almost as good and useful as adding a few hundreds of emojis and and maybe a touch bar. :eek:

And the designers will tell you that buffer strip needs to be there so that the pointer doesn't go flying off the edge of the display. That is until His Highness, Sir Jony Ive says it must go. Then it shall be gone. Maybe… :D

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Good grief!!! Such an advance that would be almost as good and useful as adding a few hundreds of emojis and and maybe a touch bar. :eek:
Yes not a useful upgrade, but at least an aesthetic upgrade I can appreciate. Seems to be all Apple does these days, make it look prettier while adding nothing or taking away features.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I came across this old video online today and thought of this thread. Could it be that Steve Jobs himself, way back then was predicting the Apple of today? If not it is still food for thought.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
A great - and sadly prescient - find, SINC.
Definitely feels like where Apple is now. Just read an article on CNN that consumer reports could not recommend the new MacBook Pro with touch at. Apparently battery life is all over the map, from 19 hours to 4 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
These battery life inconsistencies are probably well-explained by Safari and consorts blabbering away erratically all the time, reporting to iCloud & Apple servers, constantly performing machine checks to search for software updates & the likes. Not to mention Handoff & consorts blabbering away to all kinds of networks & network gear

These combined systems are getting so complex, they can drain your battery in a jiffy.

My dinosaur 2006 MacBook under Snow Leopard would rev its fans to 6000 RPM relentlessly until I merely installed Little Snitch and streamlined it rules not to report to the Apple Mother Ship unless I requested it to.
Yes, you get me right: manual update requests, no chit-chatting with every odd network or Bluetooth device unless specifically ordered by myself, the captain so to speak.

It seems very odd to me that most (younger) users can do this flawlessly with their iDevices, but not even think of the battery consequences on their MBPs & Airs...

Hey folks, at least empathise a tiny bit with your system!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I came across this old video online today and thought of this thread. Could it be that Steve Jobs himself, way back then was predicting the Apple of today? If not it is still food for thought.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
A very good find SINC.

I'm not optomistic at all that Tim Cook and co. can deliver any exciting new products. Steve Jobs WAS that product guy at Apple that steered the ship to exciting new products. It feels like there hasn't been a singe really exciting new product from Apple in the past 5 years. I no longer get excited for Apple keynotes.

Don't get me wrong... still love my iPhone and my main computer is still a Mac, but I can't remember the last time I got really excited for a new product from Apple.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
A very good find SINC.

I'm not optomistic at all that Tim Cook and co. can deliver any exciting new products. Steve Jobs WAS that product guy at Apple that steered the ship to exciting new products. It feels like there hasn't been a singe really exciting new product from Apple in the past 5 years. I no longer get excited for Apple keynotes.

Don't get me wrong... still love my iPhone and my main computer is still a Mac, but I can't remember the last time I got really excited for a new product from Apple.
I just got an Apple Watch, and rather like it, I was pretty excited by that keynote.

What strikes me though, is that post Jobs, so many things get left behind. The things that got them where they are get cast in a corner for the new bling. Take the desktop situation as an example. It will come back and bite them.

I never had the feeling Jobs catered to investors/shareholders. They were the benefactors of Apple giving consumers what they wanted. The new Apple, not so much. They're just doing what the market expects, and it will sink them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Am I the only one thinking of jumping ship and going back to Windows? My iMac will soon be 4 years old and while still running well, it will be time to replace it either this year or next.

I see no indication that Apple is going to do anything other than put a slightly faster processor, slightly faster memory and slightly faster storage in the updated iMac. There is very little innovation going on in the Mac side of their business.

I haven't looked at Windows machines much in the past few years, but there does seem to be more innovation there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts