Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since we seem to have such an interesting cast of characters (and macnutt) hanging around, I'm curious as what to you is a good piece of music/artist that you come back to. I'm listening right now to a Hank Jones Charlie Haden album called "Steal Away - Spirituals, Hyms and Folk Songs" recorded in 1994. Just piano and bass. Simple elegant jazz. Great late night music to type to.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80311061745370388&sql=Ave3m968ofep1

Have had this Cd for over 5 years and never tire of listening to it.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
You guys have reminded me of the vinyl to digital transfer I did with some of my Canadian LP's last year. It looks like this...

Arrows-Talk Talk
Goddo- Work It Out
Models- Kicks
Models-Not Gonna Fight It
Models-Victims Of A TV Generation
Parachute Club- Rise Up
Partland Bros.- Soul City
Paul Janz - Go To Pieces
Strange Advance- We Run
Strange Advance-Worlds Away
Tenants-What I've Been Through
The Pumps- Bust The TV
The Pumps- Success
Wireless- Pay To Ride

Ahhh the memories eh? Giving up my age and all.
Otherwise, nice to see Icehouse in a list, despite not being Canadian, that's truly great stuff.

-Howie

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Nice to see Goddo on a list ;)

I've long espoused the benefits of using an iMic to record (and save) precious LP recordings by bands that never made it to CD. Nice to see I'm not alone in this endeavour.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Wow! I haven't thought about Martha & The Muffins for... 20 years or something (eek). I still have Echo Beach on 45 somewhere in the basement. Good ol' days.

I always have iTunes running when I'm on my G5 at home. A partial list, in no order of preference:

Gary Numan - Pleasure Principle
Elton John - Various
Pulp - Common People
Yello - Flag
Yello & Shirley Bassey - Rhythm Divine
Pet Shop Boys - Various
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Rush - Moving Pictures, Signals
Fatboy Slim - Various
Eurythmics - Various
U2 - Various
ABBA - Yes, ABBA!
Ultravox - Various
David Bowie - Various
Santana - Various (earlier stuff like Oye Como Va etc.)

Big Band / Swing - Various

Debussy - Noctures, La Mer
Sibelius - Violin Concerto, Various
Chopin - Various
Beethoven - Various
Mozart - Various
Dvorak - Various
Brahms - Various
Tchaikovsky - Various
Samuel Barber - Various
Handel - Various
J. S. Bach - Various
Prokofiev - Various
Stravinsky: Firebird, Petrushka

At work on my (ptooey) Athlon box I run iTunes for Windows, and listen exclusively to various classical web stations - some of which are in the iTunes tuner, others I found through Shoutcast. Kinda had it with Live365.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
When I am in the mood, I find myself dragging out the best of the Downchild Blues Band. I always enjoyed them live over the years, but shouldn't this topic be in "Everything Else"?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
bl:eek:ke: Thanks for the update on Martha Ladley. I had wondered what became of her...I had read somewhere that her band were in an all-too-familiar battle with their former label who would neither release their recordings on CD nor give them the rights to press and distribute themselves...since then, I think the label may have acquiesced and released a cheesy "best of" CD.

If you liked Echo Beach, you should check out your local antique vinyl reseller for tracks like "Danceparc," "Cooling the Medium" and "Black Stations/White Stations."

There's one more that I should add to my earlier list: Jane Siberry. I remember seeing her at a free concert in 1985 and was blown away by her material...kinda like Laurie Anderson meets Mary Chapin Carter. Not everyone's cup o tea, but I like it. Anyhow, after her label dumped her, she ended up buying the rights to all her material and set up her own label, which by accounts seems to have done well for her.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your correct sinc. I can get momentarily excited and then I go and mispost. It's a Dr John variation "wrong place, wrong time"

My dog does this as well, often referred to as a "dog error"

I guess I will have to go and retry my immigration tests for EhMacland

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Netminder doodled:

...what to you is a good piece of music/artist that you come back to.
Hello,

In alphabetical order, Eric's Trip, Fatboy Slim, Ice-T, Korn, Laika, Lush, Marilyn Manson, Megadeth, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, Slayer, and Tool.

I can listen to any of these bands at almost anytime regardless of what I might be 'into' at the moment.

James

·
Registered
802 Posts
... such an interesting cast of characters...
That's the truth.

35 years ago I first heard Dvorak's 9th Symphony. I am listening to it now.

In response to your question:

Beethoven Symphony #6, Piano concerto #3...
Chopin's Etudes, Preludes and Nocturnes
John Renbourn and Pentangle
Los Calchakis
Willie and Lobo
Oscar Lopez
Keith Jarrett
Delerium
Oscar Peterson
Liszt's Mephisto Waltz
...and so on...

(sigh) So much music, so little time.

[ January 08, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: LGBaker ]

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I tend to always have iTunes running in the background in my office, so I try to get at least a monthly dose of:

The Shins
Belle and Sebastian
Martha & the Muffins (esp when Dan Lanois was at the controls)
Ya La Tengo
Lenny Breau
Charlie Mingus (esp. Mingus Ah Um and MingusX4)
Hunters & Collectors
Graham Parker
Chalk Circle
The Box
The Cars
Icehouse
Pukka Orchestra
Legatt
Doug and the slugs
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Blackie & the Rodeo Kings
Kathleen Edwards
The Guesomes
Deja Voodoo

·
Registered
802 Posts
Los Calchakis date from the early seventies. They were a group of native South Americans who recorded the folk music of the Andes region using original instruments (flutes, drums and stringed armadillo shells!). Great stuff.

You can hear a lot of the flutes used in a contemporary fashion in movie sound tracks.

There were others groups, including Los Chacos - from France. They were more progressive in the long run as they transcribed JS Bach for native Andean instruments.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Either have I. They were I believe out of Vancouver, early 80's. Another band in that period that I really enjoyed was a Toronto band called Shox Johnson and the Jive Bombers. Played 40's style big band blues. They were an an outstanding outfit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Martha & the Muffins (esp when Dan Lanois was at the controls)
Former Muffin, Martha Ladley is now an associate professor at the Ontario College of Art + Design. I had her as a teacher a couple years ago. The Muffins were way before my time, so I had no clue about them ...everyone seems to know the song "Echobeach" except me! I even saw a Martha & the Muffins poster at the London Design Museum, designed by Peter Saville. Apparently, Martha had a pretty prolific career as a designer and art director for Peter Gabriel in London, after her stint in the Muffins!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Pat Metheny yet. Net Minder, since you enjoy Charlie Hayden, some of the Metheny albums that feature Hayden might appeal to you. He appears on 80/81 and he did a duo album with Metheny called Beyond the Missouri Sky.

Be aware that the range of these two together will test the quality of your speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
An eclectic collection in my iTunes library, including:

ABBA, Andrea Bocelli, Aretha Franklin, Bjork, Bonnie Raitt, my church choir's greatest hits (professional recordings), Diana Krall, Dino Merlin (Bosnian artist), Dirty Vegas, Eminem, Gloria Gaynor, Josh Groban, Kylie Minogue, Purple Penguins, Pet Shop Boys, Radiohead, Remy Shand, Sade - Lover's Rock (can play this all the time), Tori Amos, Village People, Weather Girls...and a few others.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the Pat Metheny Charlie Haden Beyond Missouri Sky. It is a nice collection but at times a bit mechanical in comparison to the Hank Jones "Steal Away" album. Hank Jones has a beautifully lyrical way of playing that you rarely hear. Your right about testing the bottom end of the speakers.

I'll look into the 80/81. Thanks for the tip

1 - 20 of 23 Posts