Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife is a teacher and prints black and white on our Epson Stylus 740. I am tired of paying for the new black ink cartridges every month or messy refilling jobs. I think I will bite the bullet and buy a new affordable laser. There are 2 on the market in my price range. My preference is the Brother HL 1435. The other is a Samsung. Not knowing anything about lasers I was wondering if anyone out there hasd expereience and could recommend something in the $200-$300 price range.

Thanks

[ November 03, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: iMike ]

·
Registered
523 Posts
I suggest you do a search for the keyword "Printer" in this forum (Anything Mac); there have been many posts on this very topic in the last couple of months. They are loaded with good advice and recommendations. Somewhere in one of those threads I mention loving my Samsung ML-1210. Others have equally good suggestions for HP etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think HP has this market all wrapped up. They make excellent laser printers. Just go to their website and sort through all the models, pick one that suits your needs - there is a laser printer there for everyone.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I concur with PGant.

I have a Samsung ML-1210 and it's awesome. I had it for quite a while now and I still haven't replaced the toner which incidentally is cheaper too.

I am a second year law student so I print dozens of pages daily. No problem whatsoever.

And at $250, you cannot beat the price. Plus, I always mention this but I am a fan of Samsung for the fact that Samsung seems to be always on top of drivers for Macs and Unix and Apple owns part of the company. Nice.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I have a Brother 1435, which you can get at Future Shop right now for $250.

I also considered the Samsung 1710, but it could not do manual duplexing.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Jonmon, what is manual duplexing? I bought a Samsung 1710 recently (open box, $219 after rebate from FS). Is this a must-have feature (in which case, I can still return the printer).

By the way, iMike, if your wife needs colour, all inkjet printers are not equal. I recently bought a Canon i850 for home use after having a Canon S600 for a year and really liking it. Canon uses an excellent 4-colour system which is very stingy on ink. I originally bought the S600 after reading that it cost half or less what inkjets from Epson and HP cost to run, and it's true.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Duplexing in simply printing on both sides of a piece of paper. For me this is essential since I have a lot of articles and notes to print out for school.

There is automatic and manual duplexing. The difference here is that in manual, you must do something for the process continue, ie. take the paper, flip it over and put it back in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your valuable input. Looks like the Samsung is the one for me.

Thanks Again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts