Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, in the days of making money and keeping people happy I got to thinking of a idea used by a awesome radio station in Alberta (www.ckua.com)...they are a public broadcaster and use the support of the listeners locally (Alberta, BC, Sask etc) to survive...they also use the internet listeners for support to...they have a subscription base for it's listeners and it works great...I for one would pay a monthly fee to apple in order is have .mac, and all the updates that come out every so oftan...but also for people who subscribe to this would get major updates for free (eg panther) the reason is that Apple would have a constant cash flow from it's user base instead of waiting all year and then selling the update for $200...this way they have the money to put in development etc of new updates all the time...the monthly fee I guess could range from $10 to $40 a month...but considering that you would get all the benefits of .mac service and major updates free would be a good thing for me!...let me know your ideas....cheers, Mark

·
Registered
523 Posts
Microsoft already tried to pull this (maybe they even did get it off the ground in some markets, I lost track). It's called "subscription based software." They met up with A LOT of opposition. One of the main complaints is that the manufacturer has little incentive to innovate when cash is already in hand. One can just imagine how bad this could get in MS's hands, seeing as they pretty much behave this way already.

Your twist is interesting, though: bundle it with a .Mac account. I could see Apple doing this to get more .Mac users than anything else. So a .Mac+ account gets you all the goodies and keeps you up to date with the OS. BUT they have already moved to a model where every year they release "entirely new" OSs, not updates - technically Jag was not an update to Puma and Panther is not an update to Jag, they are full priced OSs. So, it would only sound like a deal to buyers if they are guaranteed an new OS in the year. That has other problems - Apple engineers might get stuck into trying to deliver before an OS is well tested to meet subscription deadlines. Apple would have to keep selling stand alone purchases of the OS as well, because generally people don't like things that feel like "paying rent". Look at what Jobs keeps saying about iTMS competitors: people just don't want to pay monthly subscription fees, they want to own the music outright. I think this is true of many things, including software.

On the whole, the idea has some merit, I'd go for it simply because I am a .Mac member already - value added. In reality, I'm betting it never happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.