Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been a while since I posted. I couldn't find much using google so I figured I would ask here.

I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) currently running High Sierra. I haven't kept up with the OSX upgrades over the years because I've been busy with work/fam-life, and everything has been mostly fine and dandy other than my battery length sucks, but that was expected since the laptop is well over 6 years and used quite frequently.

Anyhow, I have a little bit of time on my hands now, and was wondering if I should upgrade to the latest Monterey?

Do I absolutely need to upgrade? I don't know... I'm not unhappy with High Sierra... but I want to do a fresh install to get my laptop zipping fast again. Normally I grab the the latest OSX and back-up, reformat, and reinstall and I'm done.

Anyone able to give guidance/advice, or share their experiences? I'm hesitant to install the latest OSX as I would hate to install software that is designed for the latest and greatest hardware, and not necessarily designed for an aging computer. I would hate to slow my computer, rather than enhance it.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I updated a friend’s early 2015 MacBook Air, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD** to Monterey this week, and it doesn’t feel any slower or faster than 10.13 on this machine.

I did a nuke and pave install with a bootable USB Monterey installer.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

If you’re downloading/creating your install media with a Mac that doesn’t support Monterey, you can download the installer directly Apple, avoiding the App Store.

macOS 12 Monterey Full Installer Database. Download Directly from Apple! – Mr. Macintosh

Edit: I just noticed your post in another thread re: creating bootable media without DiskMaker X, and installing on partitions. I followed Apple's instructions, and it went smoothly. Use a freshly formatted USB with an unmistakable title, ie: "Untitled", and you should be fine.

I'd be inclined to forgo partitioning, and just make a bootable clone of my High Sierra setup to go back to, if Monterey was a bust.

**I upgraded her drive from stock 128GB to a 512GB M.2 SSD. Zero issues issues so far, and it benchmarks at ~1400 MB/s, reading and writing.

Reactions: Vader101
1 - 2 of 2 Posts