ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Missions that Weren’t: One-Way Mission to the Moon

At the Institute of Aerospace Sciences in Los Angeles in 1962, the pair unveiled their “One-Way Manned Space Mission” proposal.

The plan called for a one-man spacecraft to follow a direct ascent path to the Moon. Ten feet wide and seven feet tall, the empty spacecraft weighed less than half the much smaller Mercury capsule. Inside, the astronaut would have enough water for 12 days, oxygen for 18 with a 12-day emergency reserve, a battery-powered suit and backpack, and all the tools and medical supplies he might need.

He would land on the Moon after a two-and-a-half day trip and have just under ten days to set up his habitat. As part of his payload, the astronaut would arrive with four cargo modules with pre-installed life support systems and a nuclear reactor to generate electrical power. Two mated modules would become his primary living quarters, while the others placed in caves or buried in rubble — a feature Cord and Seale assumed would dominate the lunar landscape — would provide a shelter from solar storms.

With his temporary home set up, he would wait a little over two years for another mission to come and collect him.
from squidgeny in the comments:
This is how I feel a one-way mission to Mars ought to be conducted. Send an astronaut first, with at least enough supplies to last until the next launch window for a second mission to Mars, which would deliver more supplies and perhaps additional astronauts. The program would consist of a long and expensive series of missions, some manned, most unmanned, with an eventual goal of providing enough equipment and supplies for the first astronaut(s) to return home, while the most recently arrived take their place to continue the study of Mars (and of living on Mars) - a sort of interplanetary shift-rotation.
(Universe Today)

·
Premium Member
17,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Flying to the Moon — From the Space Station?

“We need the courage of starting a new era,” Europe’s director of human spaceflight, Simonetta Di Pippo, told the BBC News. For sending a mission to the Moon from the ISS, De Pippo said, “The idea is to ascend to the space station the various elements of the mission, and then try to assemble the spacecraft at the ISS, and go from the orbit of the space station to the Moon.”
With this type of mission, the future of spaceflight actually be as Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield describes in the video below. “This is the great stepping off point of to the rest of the universe,” says Hadfield, who will be commanding an upcoming expedition on the ISS. “This is an important moment in the history of human exploration and human capability,… and the space station is a visible sign of the future to come.”
(Universe Today)

·
Premium Member
42,331 Posts
China will get there before a weakened America will.

·
Premium Member
42,331 Posts
Indeed - and it's truly disgraceful.
I agree. I have never seen a country squander its pre-eminence in any field with this sort of abandon. History will hold responsible those who sold out out all of the programs that made the U.S. space program great.

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
I have yet to read the original article linked here, but a first glance reminds me of the movie "Moon". A really good movie in my opinion.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Moon" was really, really great - especially for the tiny budget and the return to using miniatures in the shoot.

Having grown up on "Space:1999", I may have been indoctrinated with the idea of a permanent space base. It's a shame that the US space programme failed in that regard, but I have no great problem with China being the new leader in space. I do hope that the Canadian Space Agency won't let it's ties to the US programme blind it to the possibilities of joining Chinese efforts. We can't go into space ourselves, and should be cultivating relationships that allow us some future ability to contribute.

·
Premium Member
42,331 Posts
Having grown up on "Space:1999", I may have been indoctrinated with the idea of a permanent space base.
What good is a moonbase if it's hurtling through the universe?

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I agree. I have never seen a country squander its pre-eminence in any field with this sort of abandon. History will hold responsible those who sold out out all of the programs that made the U.S. space program great.
It is not only pre-eminence in space programs and technology that has been squandered. Economic pre-eminence has been squandered in dirty wars and republican fiancial policies. The country is realistically of the virge of financial collapse. How many more people would be impoverished if the country started taxing up for a new moon shoot?

·
Premium Member
42,331 Posts
It is not only pre-eminence in space programs and technology that has been squandered. Economic pre-eminence has been squandered in dirty wars and republican fiancial policies.
Republican? They were bad, but the last three years under the Democrats have eclipsed them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Speaking of financial stupidity, what exactly would be the benefit of returning to the moon via the SST or otherwise? Would not those billions be better spent trying to fix the economic and environmental problems right here?

·
Premium Member
42,331 Posts
Speaking of financial stupidity, what exactly would be the benefit of returning to the moon via the SST or otherwise? Would not those billions be better spent trying to fix the economic and environmental problems right here?
The money involved stays here, and spurs research and development--it isn't sent to the moon.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Is that a serious question?

The billions spent during the Gemini and Apollo (and later programs) advanced our understanding of space, our technology, and fueled the domestic economy. Not only did they help with modern aircraft design, but sensors, fuels, and other crucial (and life-saving) technologies that paved the way for future generations.

·
Premium Member
42,331 Posts
Is that a serious question?

The billions spent during the Gemini and Apollo (and later programs) advanced our understanding of space, our technology, and fueled the domestic economy. Not only did they help with modern aircraft design, but sensors, fuels, and other crucial (and life-saving) technologies that paved the way for future generations.
Yep. Although I'm not a big fan of government expenditures, serious space exploration is still only possible when government funded. I believe that private enterprise can now effectively handle a lot of low-orbit and satellite functions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The money involved stays here, and spurs research and development--it isn't sent to the moon.
Very true. That money does provide for some research and development in a few specific fields. It does little to help the economic situation across the nation.

To be clear, I'm not against space exploration. I think one way moon mission for senators, marketing people, and oil execs is a great idea. However, in the face of a faltering global economy and looming environmental disaster, the idea of spending billions for a weekend walkabout on a dusty bit of rock seems somehow misguided.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I can see both sides. But the technology and the means to fix our problems are here. The need is here, the money is as well. However the impetus for those n charge to get what needs to be done isn't there. There is far too much greed and petty infighting for things to effectively get done. Like all great "empires" they all fall. The American rise to prominence was far to quick to be sustainable. Thus its fall will be all the more painful for the world to watch and be effected by as well.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts