Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i'm using it right now and i can honestly say i'm NEVER going back to IE. Page loads are fast, pleasant interface, etc, and so forth!

i was looking to replace IE awhile ago, but no other browser semmed to cut it. this one does!

THANK YOU APPLE!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It definitely is very fast; kind of strange at first.
Here's one for you:
I launched it and began to type in www.eh
... well, that's as far as I got. It autocompleted the address the very first time I used it.
I can't wait to see how the popup killer works.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
gordguide wrote:
"It definitely is very fast; kind of strange at first.
Here's one for you:
I launched it and began to type in www.eh
... well, that's as far as I got. It autocompleted the address the very first time I used it."

It seems Apple has entered a lot of popular URLs (ones that I'm sure I've never visited, too). I wouldn't be surprised if Safari could figure out where you've been in other browsers, too.

One other interesting thing about Safari: it supports Rendezvous.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I have been trying out Safari too. It is definitely stripped down like iCab. Unfortunately, I have already noticed a few "glitches".

For single button mouse users the option menu won't show up when you click and hold on a link. You are forced to use the control key on the keyboard. My two button mouse works fine on the right click.

I don't find that pages actually load any faster when compared to my current browser (Mozilla 1.2.1). Some of the animations run faster and/or smoother with Safari, yet others don't seem to run at all. This is very weird.

There doesn't seem to be any way to import bookmarks from Netscape, Mozilla or iCab. This makes it a real pain in the tush.

I miss my tabbed windows from Mozilla. New windows don't tile properly to fit on the screen (this is also a problem in Mozilla)

The nicest thing about Safari is that going to the previous window is almost instantaneous (kinda like how Cyberdog used to be, remember that one?)

No Love Yet

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
jfpoole wrote:
"... I wouldn't be surprised if Safari could figure out where you've been in other browsers, too. ..."

Check out the bookmarks menu; all my IE bookmarks were imported automatically.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Liking Safari, too, but I don;t now if it will take over Chimera for me. Chimera is pretty fast... not as fast as Safari. As another posted, I REALLY REALLY miss tabbed windows, too!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
So far am loving Safari!
For one thing, on ehMac... the text on the top right of the page (my profile | register | search etc...) look really nice now. In IE they looked horrible.

I really like the "Snap to first page" function. (Orange arrow to right of URL) Hand with sites like ehMac.

Rendering seems way faster than IE... bookmark handling is nice. Cool how it imported IE favs automatically.

The "Block Pop Up Windows" feature is really cool. (Under safari menu) Like how it strips out web addresses from my address book too.

Very fast using the back button...

Wow.,.... just went to the UBB icons page where I sometimes grab icon at http://binaryrhyme.com/ubbicons/ Page loads SOOOOOO much faster than in IE.

Animated gifs seem smoother... Using the "Image" and "Quote" buttons in ehMac when composing a message... especially when pasting in URL's works really nice now... This uses Javascripts... Looked really wierd in IE.

Hurray!!! Not bad for a Beta release!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, don't forget, that technically as a pseudo iApp, Safari will develop into a great application. It's a beta, don't forget, and two, we'll see a 2 and 3 and 4 down the road at new Expos in the distance. For a v0.9, I think it's a wicked first try.

Oh, and it works beautifully on my site (envynews.com), which so far has made other 'alternative' browsers such as Opera and Mozilla run away screaming.

oh, btw, we're covering MacWorld keynote news on our page. Wanna see what kind of Apple news we report on a primarily PC site?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
gordguide wrote:
"Check out the bookmarks menu; all my IE bookmarks were imported automatically."

I don't have any bookmarks in IE (I hardly use IE), so none got imported. None of my Chimera bookmarks were imported, though.

-j

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Good ad song for Chimera...... Someone getting lost looking for stuff on the web.. pages loading slowly... cue music......

You know where you are? ..... You're in the jungle baby.....
In the Jungle, welcome to the Jungle...

Maybe not.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Two things hat I want in the final version:

Keychain integration. Chimera .6 has this, safari does not seem to.

Bookmark importing from broswers othr than IE. i have been using Chimera for a while now, and have few bookmarks left in IE.

In comparison with Chimera,it does seem a little snappier, but not overly so. I look forward to the final release.

--PB

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Another nice thing I like about Safari vs IE regarding ehMac... On the main page and in the forums, Safari actually seems to keep good track of which forums have new topics and which threads I've read and which ones I haven't. (With the red maple leafs on the main page and red folders in the forums)

IE never seemed to keep track of that correctly.... At least not in the X version.. .OS 9 version of IE seemed ok.

I'm noticing little quirks here and there (And sending feedback to Apple). When you cut and paste text in the text box (The one I'm writing in now), after you paste the cursor goes to the top of the text. That's annoying.

I also miss the "Mail URL" command that was in IE. I've noticed one major page I visit that doesn't function properly. U2.com doesn't show the Band News on the right side but works in IE.

Something different, my church website looks perfect now in Safari but looked horrible in IE. Check out the page in both Safari and IE to see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I like Safari so far...although I feel I must say that it is not nearly as responsive as Steve made it out to be during the keynote address.

Yes, I like it...but it ain't all that fast on my G4 800MHz.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know it's a roundabout way of doing it, but if you have a lot of bookmarks in other web browsers, you can do what I did, and that is to export them in that program, import them using IE, and delete the Safari folder in your Library folder, as well as the preferences for Safari too, then open up Safari for the first time, again. It should then re-import your bookmarks for use in Safari.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Che...it does work, it just only works sometimes, i have accessed Hotmail a few times, but I often get the same error you got, send it off to Apple in Bug Report....as well i found if i refeshed a few times i could get in.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
MacGenius wrote:
"I liked the fact that it was fast, lightweight and integrated the user names and password features into the keychain not to mention the tabs function."

I found the integrated usernames and passwords a mixed blessing. Some websites (namely livejournal.com) didn't interact with this feature well.

"The only problem is that since this is a beta and betas are mostly for fishing out the bugs (no new features are usually included during a beta) it means Safari will take some time to mature before we get all the features we want."

Sometimes software companies will add new features after they've released a beta; it all depends on the software company. Given that Apple added new features to iSync after it was released as a public beta I'll bet there'll be new features in Safari before it's released.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Hotmail

Had the same problem last night with Hotmail on Safari. I got it to work by going to preferences and setting cookies to "accept all" (or whatever the equivalent is; I can't tell you now, as I'm on my crap PC at work).

Yes, accepting cookies is a sacrifice, but hey, we need hotmail. I guess.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts