Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I don't think I'll be fingerprinted, I am glad I got a passport to go to the US for this Expo. It's a little disconcerting to have the terror level lifted to orange and all this talk about using planes for terrorist attacks. Plus with the power outages and earthquakes in California.. I hope I survive the trip! :eek: :confused: Or that the trip will still be a go after the holidays... and for a lot more reasons than just missing the Expo. :(

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
ehMax - When did you apply for your passport? I tried mailing it, and have still yet to recieve mine (I mailed it a month ago), anyone know how backed up passports are with the Christmas season?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Well, I just know that I will be going to the office 1st thing in the new year to renew mine (up in 06-04). Now, in light of the new changes with the photos :eek: - I want to make sure that there are no issues.

My current photo is so bad... it's shocking that this is how the gvt office handed it to me 4.5 yrs ago (extremely dark - darker than my Pismo actually). And as well, I do know that if you wait too long to get it renewed (read - want to rush it), they're not too quick to do so in this post 9/11 climate.

H!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Chealion.... I went direct to a passport office here in town and it took less than 2 weeks to arrive. By mail, it takes about 4 weeks to arrive. The photo on mine looks like the standard prison photo.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Welcome to the second tier world, pals. It seems that the US is hell bent on making life difficult for non-Americans and I seriously doubt any of the documentation methods will impact terrorism (although they are likely to catch people with outstanding warrants, etc).

Canadians are not exempt (see this Toronto Star article). It means even those with recent passports will likely need to have them renewed again if they want to travel to the States. Canadian Landed Immigrants (including those with the new highly secure Permanent Resident card) are subject to printing and photographs on each visit depending on their country of origin. But the rules are so unclear that you'll likely be treated differently each time you travel so add at least 30 mins to your plans.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just got mine before xmas and it took just over 4 weeks and I sent it in through my MP which is suppose to speed things up! I hope I get my visa sooner or I am in real trouble. :(

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I went down, in person, to get my passport processed on Dec 22nd. I was told to expect it today (Jan 8th). Although I am at work right now, I should have it when I get home.

With all the Canadian citizenship/ID stuff that has popped up recently, they are definitely swamped.

:cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Strongblade, did you have to submit a digital picture with no smile, etc? I think this is now the standard (and meets the new US rules) but wondered if its now fully implemented. This is the reason, btw, that Canada will not be able to meet the US rules in time, because that would require all Canadian passport holders have passports with the new photos that have only been required since October 2004.

It's quite funny that Brazil has implemented a tit-for-tat response to the US requirement for Brazilians to be photographed and printed. US (and only US) passport holders visiting Brasil now have to be printed and photographed. The US is advising US citizens not to visit Brazil. Maybe countries like Brazil will advise their citizens not to visit the US?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Indeed, I had the pictures done as the current standard. but since this is my first passport ever, i didn't really have aproblem with that.

In truth, the only reason I'm getting the passport is that I need a criminal background check done so i can keep my job. And this was the only thing I could get quickly that fit the Police's anal-retentive list of "photo ID".

And my passport didn't arrive today...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.