Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandmother felt that chicken soup was the cure all for everything wrong with the body, mind and soul. In fact, she felt that chicken soup could bring about world peace.

When I was a little boy my grandmother took me to a Broadway play. Around the second act, at a dramatic moment, the star of the show suddenly clutches his chest and drops to the floor. The entire house is hushed, and then the other actors quickly rush to the fallen man's side. As he lay on the stage, the audience suddenly realizes that this is not part of the play. A doctor rushes up onto the stage and starts to administer CPR. At this my grandmother shouts out "Give him some chicken soup!".

An ambulance arrives outside of the theatre, and an emergency crew rushes onto the stage to care for the fallen actor. Again my grandmother yells out "Give him some chicken soup!" Everyone starts to stare at my grandmother.

The emergency crew begins to place the ashen faced actor on to the stretcher, and again my grandmother yells out "Give him some chicken soup!".

The doctor who initially tended to the fallen actor steps off the stage and comes up to my grandmother. With anger in his eyes he says "Madam, this man may have just suffered a massive coronary. I can assure you that giving him chicken soup would do him no earthly good."

My grandmother, with kindness in her eyes, and with the conviction of one who came to America as a little girl after the Tzar's pogroms against the Jews, simply replied "It couldn't hurt."

So, on this cold Canadian night, let's all be grateful that we live somewhere in Canada, and let's all have a bowl of chicken soup. After all, it couldn't hurt. :D

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Macnutt, I am flying out to Calgary over Christmas with my wife and son to visit her family. I might just take you up on your advice. Still, no one made chicken soup like my grandmother. As well, her matzoh balls were to die for................her chopped liver was to live for..................... Such is Life.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Used to be, the way my grandmother made her chicken soup there would have been plenty of chicken fat to grease the undercarriage of that jet you were on and glide it in to Pearson. I can still hear her say to me, in that heavily accented English/Yiddish -- "Nu?!? You're not eating??? Have another bowl of chicken soup. You'll feel better whatever hurts you." ("nu", pronounced "new", means "So?" or "Well?" in Yiddish, and is usually accompanied by a shrugging of the shoulders).

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking of chicken soup, I got to thinking about my grandfather and how he would rescue me from the 7th bowl of chicken soup my grandmother would be serving to me at lunch. Once, he took me downtown to a local men's clothing store to buy me a suit (keep in mind that I grew up with little money, and was clothed in my cousin's hand-me-down clothes). When we got to the store, I wanted a blue pin stiped suit, but my grandfather chose a dull brown suit. When I protested, saying that I wanted the blue suit, he called out to the tailor in the store, "Abe, my grandsome don't vant the brown suit. Turn on the blue light and ve give him a blue suit."

Yes, my grandparents were a pair.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Macdoc, on the 25th anniversary of Woodstock, the CBC Radio stations across Canada did a short piece on Canadians who attended. They couldn't find any Canadians here in St.John's, but I was a landed immigrant so they interviewed me. When I listened to the interview, I asked the person next to me, who knew me well, if that is how I sounded in real life. She said "Yes, exactly!" That is when I knew that I had lost some of my New York accent. You can still hear it when I say words such as dog, ball, talk, coffee, sauce, etc, but the flow of the phrasing has changed a bit. Too much peace and quiet here in St.John's, I guess. I actually don't miss the rush and stress of NYC, or any large city for that matter. I enjoyed my stay in Montreal a couple of weeks ago, and I shall enjoy my two week stay in Calgary over Christmas. But, I am glad to be here in St.John's. C'est la vie.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'Tis 11PM here in St.John's. My eyes grow weary, my mind wanders to thoughts of bowls of chicken soup in the past...........of a time when childhood innocence filled my day with thoughts of baseball cards and stickball (it's a NYC game).......................of a world in peace. Goodnight all. Sleep well.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words, Macnutt. I it good to be appreciated. If I am, as you say, "a treasure", then I am here to share the wealth of whatever wit and wisdom I might have picked up along the way in this Life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.